Poll

A or B?

A
- 2 (22.2%)
B
- 7 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30

Author Topic: You are an Independent Scientist! (Nov 12, 2016)  (Read 36780 times)

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
Re: You are an Independent Scientist!
« Reply #225 on: October 15, 2016, 03:09:37 am »

Or we could just sell licenses for other companies to produce them and make use of the fees and royalties. We don't really want to get bogged down doing something as pedestrian as running a company when we could be doing science, after all.
+1 for this
Try to create an energy adapter to license off as well, and maybe make note of a lawyer that deals with patent law nearby, if the worst case scenario comes around.
+1, but patent troll companies work by crushing the patent holders under legal fees until they buckle. They don't need to have a proper case, just that the holder is crushable.
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 15, 2016, 04:22:08 am »

Save one of the scorpion-foods and hook some electronics into its nerve-centre, sensory parts, and mobility parts. Kill it gently if possible, but it needs to be fresh. With any luck we can incorporate the biological components in order to bypass the hurdles of advanced robotics. Another way of looking at this is battery-powered zombies, but that is not the point of the exercise, this is purely robotics, and the abbreviation B.P.Z. is clearly unrelated and actually refers to, umm, something else?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 15, 2016, 04:44:06 am »

selling licenses is probably the best way to go.
as home power sources, they would only be fancy batteries. Cheap to buy, sure, but then you need to resupply them with hydrogen and oxygen. unless we are breaking conservation of energy already, I doubt it would have that much of a market.

for vehicles and similar it would be amazing.  But to make them viable we would need an hydrogen/oxygen supply network.

Licenses, fees and royalties however don't require a massive involvment on our part.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 15, 2016, 09:48:14 am »

We could design a device that separate the H20 of water to fuel it. Then we don't need a hard to build supply network.

Also how about offer it to the government? They'll love something like this and probably give us a nice lab to keep it advancing.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 15, 2016, 10:06:04 am »

We could design a device that separate the H20 of water to fuel it. Then we don't need a hard to build supply network.
Sure, all you need is power. That, and survive the oil cartel assassins.

Also how about offer it to the government? They'll love something like this and probably give us a nice lab to keep it advancing.
The oil cartel lobby would never allow that...

Really, the best would license it and let them deal with all the logistics. Besides, the oil cartel can disappear one person but not and organization - or at least not as easily.
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 15, 2016, 10:30:25 am »

Yes, but then that's all we would be allowed to do. They'd want us to work on it all day, every day
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 15, 2016, 12:37:42 pm »

Build a second Mk4 cell, and fit it into the 'Tickle Baton'.
Dub the Mk4 the 'Energ-E'.
Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 15, 2016, 03:18:57 pm »

Would the MK4 fit onto the baton and leave it wieldy? Perhaps the tickle-baton could have a power-source in an arm-guard... Perhaps the arm-guard could have a visual display and scan for nearby motion by using lasers to detect vibration on surrounding structures and depict it as some sort of sonar-pulse display...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 15, 2016, 03:21:33 pm »

Can we ball park how much power scaling up the tech to room sized would give if we used the indefinite lifespan version but keep the rest the same?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 15, 2016, 11:24:32 pm »

October 26, 2016

When you wake up this morning you do the usual theoretical invention stuff that you always do.
The idea regarding combining different parts of the various fuel cells is impossible. As in, actually impossible - not the usual "possible with a million dollars" stuff you come up with. There is no "fuel efficiency module" stuck in the Long Count design - it's simply the way it is. The same aspects of the design that give it its size and fuel efficiency are the aspects that give it its horrendous power output.
Improving your existing ones is fine, but you can't just mix and match old ones. Every design is a unique one where every part of it comes together to make it what it is.

Now, a shock baton powered by a MK4 cell is not the most practical idea. Technically, it is possible and wouldn't be useless, but the fuel cell is around the same size as the baton and is too thick to be incorporated into the handle. So your current theoretical design for the upgraded baton involves the MK4 attached by the bottom, which is unsurprisingly very unwieldy. You decide not to bother with making another MK4 with this since it ultimately wouldn't be useful.

And then there's the water separation part.
Sadly that's the most impossible idea. Unless you feel like discovering how to break the first law of Thermodynamics, you're not going to be getting away with that any time soon.
You create energy via the combination of oxygen and hydrogen to make water. This combination releases energy in the reaction. So naturally, you're going to need to add energy to separate water. The process in itself is possible, but no matter how efficient you tried making it, you'd end up losing energy with a Fuel Cell and water separation device. The device takes a bit more energy than is needed to separate the water, and the fuel cell makes a bit less energy than is generated combining the water.
Note to self: Revisit idea once first law of thermodynamics is broken.

Okay, licenses. This is also tricky because you're a scientist, not a businessman, damnit!
You put up a listing online to sell licenses. No one contacts you because apparently no one on craigslist online is a corporation wanting to manufacture energy cells. So after scratching that idea out, you try to think of how to continue.
You have no actionable idea at the moment, sadly. You can't just auction off the licenses when you're an "uneducated" man sitting in "his" "garage". You'd need to directly approach someone who has the potential of being interested.

You harvested 2 ml of venom, selling all 2 ml for the usual $40.
You got $60 at your new part-time job.

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Creatures (click to show/hide)
Makeshift Data Terminal
Spoiler: Contacts (click to show/hide)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 15, 2016, 11:43:15 pm »

Build a small remote control robot using the MK4 as a power source. https://goo.gl/images/x42F61 Similar to what I'm looking for.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 16, 2016, 03:00:55 am »

Get a laser and camera and computer and build something that can magically tell the distance(from the point at which the laser strikes it) of any impacts on a rigid structure by measuring the vibrations of the structure. Actually, use three lasers and triangulate.
Read the First Post!

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 16, 2016, 07:14:10 pm »

Call some nearby offices of energy companies and such that might be interested in our invention on a payphone or something, likely making a list of possible companies from a bit of research online. Walk into the offices if need be. Making some notes and such of it's qualities without giving away any design details would be beneficial in the endeavor as well.
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 16, 2016, 08:30:16 pm »

Guys,

what we need to do is contact Google.

Google's always up for buying cool shit.

We make cool shit.

Let's sell cool shit to Google.
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 16, 2016, 08:32:43 pm »

But... they are Evil... We should avoid working too closely with rivals...
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30