Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Baron Cascade  (Read 2522 times)

Tenbux

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Baron Cascade
« on: September 24, 2016, 11:40:41 pm »

Every year so far (fourth year just started) I've gotten multiple barons.  I had two foreign barons before my fort even had half the population necessary for its own baron.  I would atom-smash them, but most of them are legendary crafters and soldiers.  Guess I'm going to jump ship and start over somewhere else, because I refuse to construct nine floodgates, ten traction benches, seven warhammers, six chains, twelve bajillion crafts to get six figurines, nine splints, half a dozen minecarts, and a bunch of querns every single year.  The fortress was already resource starved to begin with (only weapon grade ore is silver, no lignite or bituminous coal).  Maybe I'll get lucky and see some of my non-noble legendaries as migrants.
I wouldn't mind housing the bastards if the foreigners didn't get to make demands.  Or hell, it'd be wonderful if they would just leave to rule their own site instead of bitching up my place.  It seems odd that my civilization is pretty populous with lots of sites, yet all of these heirs wind up on my doorstep.  The local goblin population has been unusually aggressive, so I guess they've been murdering their way through the regional nobility.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Baron Cascade
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 01:08:12 am »

Just FYI: You don't need to make crafts, you can make figurines in specific.

8 baronies...Impressive, though, haven't seen this many before. You could alternatively theme the fort around nobility.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 02:19:17 am »

You can safely ignore their demands as long as you're careful not to enable the injustice system. If some of them are over sensitive and starts to throw tantrums because of it, they should either be sent to take the very distant point in defenses against invaders, or have an unfortunate accident.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 04:22:22 am »

Mine down to magma. Make magma forges/furnaces. Smelt all the silver and create silver crafts (goblets are the most profitable per bar, 3 per bar). Sell all the crafts for other metals or other fun stuff. Collect goblinite and sell all goblin stuff that isnt needed for metal.

Dont let a baron join the military and gain skills in something that could be annoying if s/he tantrums.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 12:59:30 pm »

Alternatively, just set up a "smelting bunker" and melt the items back for bars as soon as they're produced. Makes  the metal go a lot further toward mandates
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 01:45:43 pm »

1. Mine down to magma.

2. Make a retracting bridge over the magma.

3. Link the bridge to a lever.

4. Put the nobles on the bridge.

5. Put on this helpful compilation of music from the French Revoluiton in the background (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGB6YQyPyQg).

6. PULL THE LEVER.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 01:47:51 pm by fearlesslittletoaster »

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 06:09:07 pm »

Wait until all become dukes.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 02:54:58 am »

Train an army of warrior barons. Make sure they're the first ones in and last out every conflict. Dedicate fort to keeping their bloodthirsty warlord protectors happy.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Kathe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 08:11:14 am »

Train an army of warrior barons. Make sure they're the first ones in and last out every conflict. Dedicate fort to keeping their bloodthirsty warlord protectors happy.

Baron Squad: equip them with crap they keep demanding.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 04:13:47 pm »

How do you equip them with statues and armor stands?

I mean, it WOULD be quite awesome to see a goblin get bashed with an *=obsidian armor stand=*, but as far as I know, furniture doesn't count as weapon or misc item use.

Maybe we should ask toady for this as a feature?

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 10:25:31 pm »

What if you positioned their rooms to be the staging area through which invaders have to pass.
Motivating the barons to fight harder to defend their precious green glass windows.  :P
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 10:41:57 pm »

Dang, what worries me more? The fact that you have a lot of Barons or the Bay12 Community readily having a solution AND appropriate music for the occasion
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 12:35:16 am »

Eh, you've been here a while. Bay12 has never been shy about politically-appropriate murder.

By which I am saying, you should worry about the first.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 09:04:11 am »

Eh, you've been here a while. Bay12 has never been shy about politically-appropriate murder.

By which I am saying, you should worry about the first.

The Music one has me worried still

And murdering politicians still gives me pause, Though, I myself, have been guilty of... huh.... "Pulling the wrong lever" every now and then

I wonder what the community will de when Toadyone employs the system that makes dwarves nervous when certain dwarves end up dead
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 09:06:19 am by TheImmortalRyukan »
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 09:23:12 am »

He already did employ that system. It was called DF2012 emotion system.

Oh wait, you said nervous, not psychotic. See current emotion and migration system, then.