- 2 (7.4%)
Deon's Fallout Mod
- 0 (0%)
Dark Ages: War and Mythos
- 0 (0%)
Pfft. I go vanilla.
- 20 (74.1%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: My first poll.  (Read 741 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
My first poll.
« on: September 24, 2016, 07:07:17 pm »

Here is my first poll.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first poll.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 05:09:09 am »

I started with DF in Vanilla.
I was put off by clunky controls and a lot of annoyance in early versions.

Some time later a friend recommended me a Masterwork DF, because it had graphics, a lot of modular options, warlocks, hermit mode etc etc.

Masterwork is not a "Mod" per se. It is a highly flexible collection of mods that lets you tailor gameplay to the way you like, but it remains in accordance with vanilla.
In my opinion vanilla is *worse* than Masterwork, due to a lot of options that MDF and DFHack provides being missing from vanilla.
Some of those are the ones that make your controls much easier, so you can actually enjoy game rather than fight with UI.

People who bash Masterwork,or say that vanilla is the best, simply have not played it or messed up badly with starting options.

Since I got back to playing DF (it wast between old MDF 6.1 and 6.2 versions) I can't imagine playing vanilla. I did, not long ago, in order to reproduce a bug, but it just sucks for me.

So in short:
- it has multiple graphical tilesets to choose from
- a lot of options to turn on and off including FPS optimizations (like decaying worn clothes so you don't have to dump them manually)
- simplified products. Cutting most of trees yields "wood" not 50 different types of it. Butchering animals gives you "meat" not 500 different types of it.
- easy interface. There are build in tools that make playing nice and easy. Manipulator for easy labor control. Auto melt and save/load stockpile settings, so that you don't have to enable/disable hundreds of options in stockpiles every time you start a new fort.
- other races. Basic vanilla races are so few, that after a world gen most of worlds look empty. in MDF we have brutal nagas, violent orcs, east-style pandashi, warloving white tigermen, mighty Jotun and the list goes on - you enable the ones you want to play against and believe me - having a succubi dancer in your dwarven tavern feels somehow much more fun than just serving them dwarven ale.
- more reactions, more buildings, you can use them - but you don't have to! some of them are the ones missing from vanilla for no good reason.
- you don't have to play dwarves, there are other races for you to choose from and more are on the horizon.
- if you enjoy Lovecraft, you can enable a mod that adds a cult of a Deep One (potentially turning your dwarves into mutated monsters)
- more animals, some outlandish, some more realistic
- adds wanderer mod - reactions in adventurer mode
- more megabeasts!

The list of changes is much longer of course, but in the end - MDF is the way to go if you are looking for a solid FUN.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 08:03:51 am by Evans »
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 07:52:43 am »

Well, as someone who has not run MWDF, I nonetheless know all but the races/cults/playables/buildings from other mods :P Collection of mods, indeed :)

(Not qualified to respond to the poll, though, given I haven't tried all 5 of options, though).

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 09:31:34 am »

It really depends on what you want from the game.

MDF is basically vanilla on steroids. It is DF, just... better.
3 other mods are more of "total conversion" type. Mario world with mushrooms, Fallout world with power armors, Dark Age world with horror theme.

So if you want mutants and power armors, choose accordingly  8)

And vanilla is just that... vanilla.
function getlost ()
end
getlost ()

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 10:03:55 am »

That's highly subjective, plenty of people find Masterwork too bloated for their liking, among other things.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 02:06:39 pm »

That's highly subjective, plenty of people find Masterwork too bloated for their liking, among other things.
Perhaps they could learn to operate launcher and disable most of what they do not like?
I don't know, just saying.

I am fully aware of existence of a group of people who insist on playing unmodded version of games, because of these "are as intended" .
Although I find argument deeply flawed, I say we let them. I'm not going to be the one who knows better how other people should enjoy their games.
function getlost ()
end
getlost ()

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 05:13:20 pm »

It's not mine poll?

Anyway, why not give masterwork a go? It adds enough.

Just kidding. Don't ever touch it. You might end up like me, liking MDF more than vanilla  8)
function getlost ()
end
getlost ()

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 07:11:14 pm »

I play Vanilla with a graphics pack mostly.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 08:43:23 pm »

Vanilla with DFHack (when updated) for quality of life/FPS fixes.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?