Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Fire Emblem on Forums: Crown of Aen (IC Thread) [Unknown Wanderers]  (Read 13600 times)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: Fire Emblem on Forums: Crown of Aen (IC Thread) [Glorious Beginnings]
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2016, 05:34:21 pm »

"I dunno, maybe I should wait... Ah, whatever. I'm Ava." Out of the corner of her eye, she started to assess the man in armor. Eeh... probably not. Doesn't look very understanding.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2016, 05:50:55 pm »

"Ah, yes, well, you see..."

"I am Prince Jan van Praet." Such a dramatic moment is ruined by following it up with, "Of course I do not expect you to believe such a thing without proof, so, ah, if you will give me a moment." As Ovidio retreats back to his home the crowd of citizens starts to buzz with conversation. Judging by the tone and casualness of the onlookers, they had heard his explanation all before.

It doesn't take long before Ovidio, the self-proclaimed Prince of Aen, returns with a bundle of papers in his arms.

"Several years ago, I was surprised when I was invited to dine at the table of Councilman Livio Abate. Naturally, as a humble citizen of Alife, I thought that this request was some kind of, ah, joke. It was not until repeated invitations were made that I finally accepted that it was real. At the Councilman's house I was robed in finery despite my protests and given the place of honour at the table. Before the meal began, Livio told me of the wonderous story which had prompted this behaviour from him." As his tale continues, he hands out several of the papers for the mercenaries to look over. Assuming that they could read, of course. Many of the pages are signed and stamped with various seals, presumably to confirm their accuracy. Those who had lived in Alife before would undoubtedly recognize the coat of arms of Councilman Abate that was often reproduced in the seals. The Councilman's signature is also in abundance.

"He had been visited a few days before by a monk from Evreux. His name was, oh, Father Laurentin, if I remember correctly. The monk was on death's door and had a certain secret which he needed to share. The secret of my parentage and circumstances of my childhood. You see he was the confessor of, well, I suppose he would be my uncle. A nobleman in Evreux where Prince Jan, that is myself, supposedly died of illness. On the noble's deathbed, he told Father Laurentin about the truth of what happened and made him swear to keep the secret safe. With no one else he could entrust it to, Father Laurentin shared it with the Councilman, hearing of his great virtue and piety. If you are curious the story is also laid out in the papers which I had given you. I will, well, briefly summarize it for you."

"You see, the nobleman of Evreux kept an orphanage on his estate as an act of charity. The young Prince was often allowed to play with the orphans, since they were a ready source of companionship in his young age. One orphan, in fact, was noted for his, ah, resemblance to the young Prince. Quite a strong resemblance, in fact. When illness struck the orphanage, the Prince and his friend were among those who fell ill. At that point, ah, several agents of Heinric van Gruuthuuse, the current and false King of Aen, bribed the doctors to kill him. In their greed they accidentally killed the Prince's friend instead, having never seen the boy before. Only when one of the doctors confessed to the nobleman did the true story become known."

"My uncle, the nobleman of Evreux, decided that returning the Prince to Aen would be certain death. H- My father was not long for the world, and Heinric was the second in line for the throne. So he decided to send the body of the Prince's friend back, lamenting his supposed death, while the actual Prince stayed in his orphanage with his true parentage suppresed. Eventually he decided that he would be far safer away from his estate and so sent the boy to Alife, where he, that is to say I, was eventually adopted by a local merchant. The rest is, well, personal in nature. I will not bore you with the details."

"Suffice to say that I did not believe what Councilman Livio Abate was telling me. It was all quite... unbelievable, even with his confirmations of its verity. So I pretended to play along and took whatever papers and gifts he showered upon me that night in his house. Once the Councilman died I thought that that was the last I would ever hear of such things. But less than a year ago a great plague swept through the city and..."

"..."

"And I lost my wife and children."

"I decided that this was punishment from Sohrab and Khordad. By allowing a false ruler to sit on the throne of Aen, despite knowing better, I was helping evil spread in the world. As such it was my duty to reclaim my rightful place and do good. It was, ah, not an easy decision to make but one which I needed to be done. I no longer had any family to worry about beyond myself. No reason not to stay in the city, beyond commercial ones. So I started my preparations and called you all here to serve as my bodyguard. I believe that is the entire tale as laid out in my papers. I am willing to answer any questions you may have. It is... quite the story I am sure, but I am confident that it is all true." The man does his best to stand regally in front of everyone, which hardly does anything to dispel the fact that he is still a stuffy merchant through and through.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2016, 05:55:31 pm »

"The more time you spend explaining it, the less we'll have to reclaim your throne."

"...sir."
Black lives matter.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2016, 06:05:20 pm »

"What d'you think, Alisa? You look at seals and stuff, does that look legit?"
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

F.O.E.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2016, 07:09:32 pm »

As soon as she was handed the papers Alisa began to skim through them, searching for seals and other things that would grant them credence. The seals, after a good bit of being stared at, looked identical to the seals she'd seen while "acquiring" documents from merchants in the past. And unless both were forgeries by the same man, which while possible was probably unlikely, that made these papers worth believing.

"Yes, they match the ones I've seen before. We can trust him and his papers." She lowered her voice. "For now, at least."

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2016, 08:07:25 pm »

Sera frowned and crossed her arms looking at the man claiming to be the prince. He certainly wasn't anything like what she'd be imagining. But still.

"I'm Seraphina. If those papers are in fact valid, I suppose I will follow you for now. But I'm not going to be fully committed or revealing all my information for now. I don't fully trust you if I'm being honest."

I can't let Dad down. But I also can't bring his name into the mix if he's an imposter. That would be worse than anything else.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2016, 08:14:47 pm »

Taukek didn't even bother looking at the papers with foreign squiggles on them when they were offered to him, instead focusing on the story as it was told.

"..."

He pauses, considering the story, before breaking out in a chuckle.

"Oh hoh hoh! It a good tale. Many pathos. You should work on the telling though, it must be longer to hold the attention of the youths at night, and needs a better ending... And a fight against a demon for the heart of a foreign princess! We will work on it as we go I am sure my friend!" Taukek says, walking forward to place a hand on the shoulder of 'Prince Jan van Praet'.

"I have listened to many tales in several lands, I can help you, do not worry. And about that food, it is also for Mounts yes? Si is very hungry. Very. Very. Hungry." He says, a serious expression falling over his face again.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2016, 08:47:25 pm »

"What if the princess was rescuing the hero instead? That would be much more interesting."
Black lives matter.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2016, 09:11:59 pm »

Taukek looks back over his shoulder at Diane, amused expression on his face.

"Ahhh.... Hero being rescued is not classic. But maybe work as second night side story? Are any of you foreign princesses?" He asks the female mercenaries. "Perhaps we will make work."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2016, 09:15:29 pm »

Ava scratches her head. "Um, no, but I pretended to be one once. For reasons. It's a long story."
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 09:24:03 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2016, 09:18:37 pm »

"I'm nobility, but definitely no princess."
Black lives matter.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2016, 10:10:04 pm »

Marcianus' shoulders drooped at Seraphina's words. "How did I know we'd actually be going through with it?"

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2016, 10:12:55 pm »

"Aw come on. You know you were close to being kicked out of the army anyways. At least this way your family is taken care of. Plus my dad would kick my butt if I just came home because the prince didn't look like we expected."

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2016, 10:14:22 pm »

Marcianus muttered under his breath, low enough that only Seraphina was likely to hear him. "Wasn't that close to getting kicked out..."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16