Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 201

Author Topic: Castle: New squad and the never ending wait for the next GM post.  (Read 160286 times)

KaineFisher

• Bay Watcher
  • For fun and profit.
    • View Profile
Re: Castle: New squad beginning!
« Reply #555 on: October 09, 2016, 03:57:18 pm »

"I've seen guns used in Gaia. They're rare and only the humans have them. They're effective, but take a lot of time to reload and there is a lot of recoil. I do not think my current body could handle that recoil, and the reloading time would severely limit their use. Has this world's technology moved past those problems?"
Power is how much control you have over your current situation.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: October 09, 2016, 04:50:51 pm »

A "firearm"? I'd rather like it if they didn't set my arms on fire.

"You know those things that the guards carry that look a bit like human holy relics? Those are 'firearms'. Here, they're weapons that use small focused explosives to cause a shaped piece of metal, like lead, to travel faster than an arrow. I'm...familiar with their use. My clan did some 'trading' with some goblin clans of Clockwork and Fire that used something like those."

"Amadou, your boss has some interesting ways to say some things. Neat."
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #557 on: October 09, 2016, 04:52:03 pm »

"Faster than an arrow shot from a spellbow? Impossible!"
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: October 09, 2016, 04:58:36 pm »

"I don't know about a spellbow, but a regular bow? You can track the arrow when it's fired, for a few moments at least. You can't quite see the projectile out of a firearm, til it's already hit something."
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: October 09, 2016, 07:56:13 pm »

"The instructors might do just that if you try that kind of joke with them. They take joking in the shooting range very, very, very seriously. Joking and inattention while handling weapons can kill not only you but everyone around you, and accidents in the range reflects badly on them..."

"...And may your gods help you if that question was actually in earnest - they'll rather fire you than let a manchild fire firearms."

"You're to think before speaking, and ask reasonable questions to clear your doubts, and do make sure they're answered; if you don't ask and because of that screw up on the exam... well, do you get the point?"

Yes sir, I understand. I'll keep such thoughts to myself.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: October 10, 2016, 09:19:01 am »

"How heavy is that armor of yours? The suit thing?"
"It feels rather heavy, but that's true of every armour in the history of mankind: ever since we invented armour we've been complaining about it being heavy, hot, and uncomfortable - and still, we keep preferring to be encumbered, sweaty and bothered rather than dead..."

"I've seen guns used in Gaia. They're rare and only the humans have them. They're effective, but take a lot of time to reload and there is a lot of recoil. I do not think my current body could handle that recoil, and the reloading time would severely limit their use. Has this world's technology moved past those problems?"
A "firearm"? I'd rather like it if they didn't set my arms on fire.

"You know those things that the guards carry that look a bit like human holy relics? Those are 'firearms'. Here, they're weapons that use small focused explosives to cause a shaped piece of metal, like lead, to travel faster than an arrow. I'm...familiar with their use. My clan did some 'trading' with some goblin clans of Clockwork and Fire that used something like those."

"Amadou, your boss has some interesting ways to say some things. Neat."
"Faster than an arrow shot from a spellbow? Impossible!"
"I don't know about a spellbow, but a regular bow? You can track the arrow when it's fired, for a few moments at least. You can't quite see the projectile out of a firearm, til it's already hit something."
Can your spellbow arrows travel faster than sound? Does the wind of their passage shred nearby leaves? Many of our weapons do that... well, not my SMG, that's a rather puny weapon designed more for spitting bullets faster than you can blink than for taking on armoured foes, it's mostly for self-defence; but the MAG rifle, for instance, is supersonic.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:58:43 am by Maegil »
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: October 10, 2016, 01:23:54 pm »

[Just gonna go ahead with the training now, you may add your reply to Amadou's explanation before your reaction to the training montage.

Also, since Amadou have already attended his trainings, he'll be meeting with Bill Chopsky's character, poke 'em and see how you want Amadou to introduce him to the squad by the time the Gaians are done training.]

---

After discussion time was over, everyone was ushered out so that a new squad may be ushered in for their own briefing.

You were taken to the underground firing range, where the instructors present you with some sort of ear muffs that you've seen some people wear when it was cold, says it's for ear protection. You suppose it makes sense, whatever guns you may or may not have seen from Gaian goblins and humans do make a lot of noise.

They told you about the rules of using Firearms, told you to respect the Firearms and always, Always treat every one of them as if they were loaded and ready to kill. Always, no exception.

They told you to never, Ever point your Firearm at anything you don't want dead. If you're pointing at it, then you must have no problem pulling the trigger. Otherwise, leave it to the professionals if you have so much trouble.

And with the introductions done, the instructor took you all over to the range with a table before you. On it lines weapons that are as beautiful as they are alien to you, they looked absolutely nothing like any guns you've seen before even if you've seen one in Gaia, and are considerably smaller than what you see the guards carrying around.

Spoiler: Long gun (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: short gun (click to show/hide)

The instructor picks up the long gun first, introducing it. "This is the Five point fifty six Bullpup carbine, The Ess-Emm-Gee's Big cousin and the Rifle's little sister. Akras designed and produced. She has a maximum fire rate of just over nine hundred rounds per minute, her magazine can hold forty rounds, and with this scope you see up here? you'll hit a target five hundred meters away no problem. She'll be your gun for the foreseeable future, you will sleep with her, you will eat with her, hell, you'll probably fuck with her given the chance. You treat her right, keep her clean and she'll do right by you."

Putting down the long gun, the instructor picks up the short one. "This here is a Ten millimeter Personal defense weapon, it's a robust design based on a design made some five hundred years ago and it still works fine today. She holds fifteen rounds in her magazine and is a respectable back-up weapon when you've no bullets left for your bigger guns, sure she won't do shit against actual armor, but she'll still punch right through whatever shitty mail or light plate that you primitives have as an excuse of an armor. And this is one of the smallest weapons we have."

Putting down the short gun, he then picks up something small, holding two of them up in his hand, one of them longer than the other. "These here are the bullets that your guns will shoot, it goes faster than the speed of sound and will punch right through a hell lot of things save for some really fucked up eldritch shit. Even this little fella will pierce a wooden palisade cover. Bet your arrows don't do that."

Putting them down, he nods. "Alright, there's one of each for each of you as well as a single magazine, courtesy of Akras. I'll be teaching you how to aim, shoot and not fuck up. You done with the magazine you'll get a new one for free when you head over to explosives training, questions?"

Post any questions you may have.

If there's no questions, the Instructor shows you how to properly hold the carbine and pistol, how to aim down the pistol's iron sight and the carbine's scope. There are metal targets at 300 yards and 100 yards away, for the Carbine and Pistol respectively.

Post your reaction to these information, thoughts and attempts at shooting said target. No need to roll, if you have a DEX of at least 10, you'll perform decently enough and hit your targets with how 'close' they are. Elves shouldn't have too much trouble, though will probably be told to use the Carbine in single shots as to manage the recoil better. The Carbine will feel and act like a battle rifle for the Gobbo, but otherwise manageable thanks to advanced muzzle-breaks.
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.

KaineFisher

• Bay Watcher
  • For fun and profit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: October 10, 2016, 01:27:51 pm »

Khaiden has no questions, the instructor summed it up. Carrying the guns and bullets might be a different story.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: October 10, 2016, 02:45:33 pm »

Dexter receives these instructions and starts practicing (DEX=15). The carbine makes his shoulder hurt at first, but that quickly subsides. He is indifferent to the PDW.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: October 10, 2016, 03:22:28 pm »

Ratodx whistles as the instructor shows off the firearms. "They're a fair bit sleeker than what the Contraption Clans make." He then follows the instructions of the instructor with great care, considering the microwave incident, and starts off with the carbine (DEX=12) taking carefully aimed single shots. The recoil is rather jarring. The PDW goes much better, being much more comparable to Ratodx's previous experience with firearms (DEX=12, Small Arms =1).

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: October 10, 2016, 03:26:56 pm »

(EDIT: Amadou remains for the meeting, but will leave weapons instruction in the hands of qualified personnel.)

After not finding any new news about the transports, Amadou returns to the room and starts setting up for his experiments.

Look in the magic books for a soul-channelling glyph, marking the page to show Khaiden. Scan it, and set them up on an image editor to be tweaked.

Make paper boxes only large enough to hold 25 roaches each. Put a gauze with ether in the roaches' jar and transfer them to the paper boxes. Put the boxes in the jar with the gauze.

Use a syringe to squirt ether into the monkey's face though one of the cage's breathing holes (I'm imagining an acrylic box with holes and handles) to put the monkey under, take it out and shave its belly before returning it to the cage.

Wait for the others to return.
Look in the magic books for a soul-channelling glyph, marking the page to show Khaiden. Scan it, and set them up on an image editor to be tweaked.
There are.. Lots of runes that involve moving souls around. Frankly there's more runes for that then there are spacial directions. The book even says a number of them are intended to be drawn 'At the same time, in the same spot' however the fuck that's supposed to work. You have a feeling Khaiden would probably grasp the concepts far better seeing as how moving souls around is his specialty. But really. From what you can tell. Occultism tends to involve a lot of odd spacial geometries with its runes. Even notes On said runes will often have oddities.

..Did that letter just move?
That's what Amadou will be doing while he waits for the new members to show up.
He's hoping that they're already toilet-and-microwave trained, so he won't have to give the tour again.
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: October 10, 2016, 03:28:54 pm »

You manage the assorted prep with minimal effort. However your fingers hurt a tad. The sigla in the book were Not pleased with being scanned.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #567 on: October 10, 2016, 03:49:00 pm »

Reserti does everything the way he was shown and achieves good results with the bullpup (DEX=16). However, while achieving good results with the 10mm, he just didn't like the 10mm. "Sir?" he asked tentatively, "I don't like the shortgun. I can't hold it well enough to stop it from wanting to fly out of my hands. With the longgun, I could stop it from flying out of my hands easy enough."

"If I may, sir, could I loose a few arrows downrange?"

((Also, yay, the bullpup's first appearance!)
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: October 10, 2016, 04:56:26 pm »

Melnakos does okish with the ten millimeter and the bullpup but notices that the guns make him feel quite sore after using them.

Human weapons are quite amazing.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

KaineFisher

• Bay Watcher
  • For fun and profit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: October 10, 2016, 04:58:07 pm »

"I don't think I can carry the guns and ammunition with my current body. Do you have anything lighter?"
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 201