Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 201

Author Topic: Castle: New squad and the never ending wait for the next GM post.  (Read 160436 times)

KaineFisher

• Bay Watcher
  • For fun and profit.
    • View Profile
Re: Castle: New squad recruiting!
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2016, 10:13:37 am »

Akras's Gaian portal is inside a structure. He probably saw the scout group driving around on what might be percieved as a metal elephant.

Akras does indeed have drones and in fact specializes in them.

I meant what level of robotics are they at? Could they replace a limb with a fully functioning mechanical prosthetic? Or build a humanoid machine with the same movement abilities as a human?

Basically is it these for drones and cyborgs:

http://cdn6.myfirstdrone.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/3DR-Solo-Crop2.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/71/Army_prosthetic.jpg

Or these:

http://edge.alluremedia.com.au/m/k/2013/01/Black-Ops-2-drones1.jpg

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/metalgear/images/0/04/The_Desperado.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130214051431
Power is how much control you have over your current situation.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2016, 10:20:10 am »

Considering that Jon is in a way Raiden (with guns instead of a HF sword), it's the second one.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2016, 10:20:34 am »

Spoiler: Amadou Niassé (click to show/hide)
I have to ask. Where did one Vigor point go? Vigor and hp run on a 2 for 1. So you can't convert that vigor to another stat besides hp unless you use 2 vigor for 1 statpoint

Akras's Gaian portal is inside a structure. He probably saw the scout group driving around on what might be percieved as a metal elephant.

I meant what level of robotics are they at? Could they replace a limb with a fully functioning mechanical prosthetic? Or build a humanoid machine with the same movement abilities as a human?

Or these:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/metalgear/images/0/04/The_Desperado.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130214051431
Foxhound has a literal Terminator for their medic. Yes. They can build humanoid bots with full human capabilities. Yes they can make prosthetics that function at or greater than mundane human bits. It's actually equally cheap to print off a new organic unauged limb vs printing out a basic cybernetic limb.

Akras is capable of producing prosthetics and drones that are better than the latter posted pictures.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2016, 11:36:50 am »

Con:9
Int:12

HP:15 14
Per:9
Will:11
Vig:9
I have to ask. Where did one Vigor point go? Vigor and hp run on a 2 for 1. So you can't convert that vigor to another stat besides hp unless you use 2 vigor for 1 statpoint
I'll take a point of HP then, that should balance the ledger - unless...
... does that rule mean that one stat point worth of xp later on is worth two HP or Vig, or is it only one as the rest? Mind the answer, I'd very much rather not be forced to minmax those two.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 11:39:52 am by Maegil »
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2016, 11:38:16 am »

@Khaiden

I am interested to see how his first reaction to encountering Akras went down, if he watched them mow down a squad of bandits like an afterthought with their high-powered MAG Assault rifles and what was Khaiden's thought on that.

Also, a full cyborg with his soul would be far more durable than a lichcyborg hybrid. But then again, a Lichcyborg hybrid won't have much problem against EMPs and such.

He got his first look at them in action when a bandit gang attacked. They were wiped out in 2 minutes and 1 second.

2 mintutes and 1 second is a longass time of engagement modernwise, especially if it's just against a bunch of Bandits.

So let's say they enter engagement both seeing each others, regardless of distance, if it's within 800 yards, then it's within gunfire. Let's be generous, say the Bandits started a mere 60 yards away, well-within sight. Unknowing of what kind of weapons the scouts have, they are likely to resort to what they do best against other victims, by yelling and taunting, trying to intimidate their victims. Maybe from light cover of trees and such.

Let's be generous and say Akras's scouts spent a whole 5 seconds just aiming, a single pull of trigger set on burst can and will kill a target at 60 yards which is more or less a point-blank range for such a weapon, with it's caliber more than able to punch through most light covers and many hard covers. Give it 2 seconds to re-adjust for new target, another 3 seconds for combat aiming and we're seeing a 5 seconds per kill from a single scout.

Say if it's a group of 20 bandits and 4 Akras scouts, it will take them roughly 25 seconds to shoot them all.

25 seconds to wipe out an entire bandit band like an afterthought.

Even less if they tossed a grenade, but that's just being wasteful.
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2016, 11:49:42 am »

Or these:

Foxhound has a literal Terminator for their medic. Yes. They can build humanoid bots with full human capabilities. Yes they can make prosthetics that function at or greater than mundane human bits. It's actually equally cheap to print off a new organic unauged limb vs printing out a basic cybernetic limb.

Akras is capable of producing prosthetics and drones that are better than the latter posted pictures.

Well, for comparison, Akras have been using these for threaded drones. They have aerial recon drones and wheeled drones too, of course. It's just that these are so much cheaper at 10 credits base cost without weapons. There's nothing elegant about it, it's blocky, it's ugly, and it works. It's a mobile weapons platform designed to kill and be as cost-effective in doing so as possible, nothing more, nothing less.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Adaptive, cheap, replaceable.

There's 2nd Gen humanoid drones about but aren't quite being mass-produced yet, they're just too expensive to justify replacing the older, more traditional wheeled or threaded drones. Maybe one day when they can make cheaper droids then we'd see something similar to Star War's B1 Battledroids. But until the R&D Team can design something that is either cheaper or more cost-effective than current gen combat drones, nothing's going to change except for better armoring panels and upgraded weapons.

Computer-targeted Laser rifle mounted on a drone would make a deadly pin-point accurate sniper.
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2016, 11:52:47 am »

Con:9
Int:12

HP:15 14
Per:9
Will:11
Vig:9
I'll take a point of HP then, that should balance the ledger - unless...
... does that rule mean that one stat point worth of xp later on is worth two HP or Vig, or is it only one as the rest? Mind the answer, I'd very much rather not be forced to minmax those two.
One stat point is worth two vigor/hp.
You can purchase a stat point for 5xp or spend that 5xp on skills. So technically you can purchase 2 vigor/hp for 5xp.

Vigor is a cross between stamina and mana. It defines how fatigued you are mentally and physically. It goes down if you cast a spell without an external energy reserve or do lots of strenuous activity, get certain diseases, or get hit by certain types of attacks and spells. It goes up from stims, certain racial traits, certain arcane abilities, and in the case of bots, recharging.

Hp is health. It's the general "how alive are you?" Occasionally if you hit especially low hp or Vigor, you might need to make a will or con roll to stay conscious. Hp goes down from various types of damage, getting moved while a wound isn't treated or stabilized, being left untreated while you're bleeding out, diseases, or from direrct mental or spiritual damage. It goes up from medical treatment, healing magic, and assorted other ways.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2016, 12:04:37 pm »

Thanks. I put it in the backstory that the character was slightly malnourished as a child and had some doubts that he'd pass muster on the astronaut physical exams, so those numbers fit well with the image.
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2016, 12:18:16 pm »

Alrighty~

KaineFisher

• Bay Watcher
  • For fun and profit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2016, 01:03:46 pm »

"Akras is capable of producing prosthetics and drones that are better than the latter posted pictures."

In that case, would it be possible for Khaiden to replace most of his body with machinery converted to run on Soul power rather than electricity?

It would remove one of the main weaknesses of machinery, be stronger than even Undead flesh, let him concentrate more of his power on what's left of his "original" body, and make him at least a decent combatant.

Khaiden is going to be trying to find as much out about the cyborg medic's body as possible

And before someone says their character is like Raiden, they should remember he can run faster than bullets, perceive time up to 90% slower to achieve incredible fighting speed, and lifted a blade the size of a building to duel a Metal Gear the size of an army base after ripping said blade off the machine. If your character can't do that, they're not like Raiden.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2016, 01:07:45 pm »

We haven't figured out a way to convert souls into electricity. We've figured out how to convert heat into mana though.

He's definitely capable of dodging bullets, Unsure about running faster, we never tested that. He can perceive time on the level of machines, so functionally he can use bullettime. (As can another squad member). Unsure about lifting a building sized blade. What's the weight at? He can most definitely lift quite a lot.

KaineFisher

• Bay Watcher
  • For fun and profit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2016, 01:08:19 pm »

Thanks. I put it in the backstory that the character was slightly malnourished as a child and had some doubts that he'd pass muster on the astronaut physical exams, so those numbers fit well with the image.

Both of our characters seem to have "malnourished" as a background trait. Do you think you could change yours to a childhood illness instead to avoid too many similarities? If not then I have come up with a Team Name idea:

Expendable Ackras Termination Squad: EATS

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2016, 01:09:12 pm »

Squad name tends to come after you accomplish a few missions and comes with a name related perk.

KaineFisher

• Bay Watcher
  • For fun and profit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2016, 01:10:20 pm »

We haven't figured out a way to convert souls into electricity. We've figured out how to convert heat into mana though.

He's definitely capable of dodging bullets, Unsure about running faster, we never tested that. He can perceive time on the level of machines, so functionally he can use bullettime. (As can another squad member). Unsure about lifting a building sized blade. What's the weight at? He can most definitely lift quite a lot.

How long until Khaiden can get an upgraded body? He's willing to try out new ideas if the reward (in terms of the body's abilities) outweighs the risk (rejection, insanity, vulnerabilities, etc.).

KaineFisher

• Bay Watcher
  • For fun and profit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2016, 01:10:56 pm »

Squad name tends to come after you accomplish a few missions and comes with a name related perk.

Excellent.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 201