Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 201

Author Topic: Castle: New squad and the never ending wait for the next GM post.  (Read 160390 times)

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
Re: Castle: New squad beginning!
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2016, 11:03:35 am »

((So if I want to lets say shoot earth spears at an enemy would I do it like this? Melnakos attempts to form spears of earth and shoot them at generic enemy 1. Or is it more complicated?))
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2016, 11:25:15 am »

((Something like this?
"Amadou opens his medical bag and takes a magic sink made of blotter paper covered in inactive wards and his healing sigil stamp. He loads a fresh cockroach cartridge on the stamp and presses a healing sigil made of twenty-five roaches' haemolymph to the casualty's forehead.
He then focuses their vitality into forcing the torn arteries to extend, connect and heal, carefully controlling the cellular division rate. If things start going wrong, he wipes the forehead sigil with the magic sink blotter, discharging the excess life force from the patient's sigil to the sink's wards."))
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 11:37:21 am by Maegil »
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2016, 11:41:25 am »

((So if I want to lets say shoot earth spears at an enemy would I do it like this? Melnakos attempts to form spears of earth and shoot them at generic enemy 1. Or is it more complicated?))

[This works. Unless you want to specify it more such as the size and numbers of said spears. A single normal-sized spear is far easier and less consuming than one the size of a telephone pole, after all. But might not penetrate or deal enough damage to a larger enemy, for example. You could also make it small and numerous instead if you want more of a shotgun effect or to cover a wider area,

really. Magic is a really powerful tool if you're creative enough.]

((Sooo, magic drains life force, and sacrifices can be used to supply it... I think my character would be upset about sacrificing monkeys or clones, especially if he hopes to ever work with the public.
One monkey can be a powerful sacrifice then, but just how well can cockroaches work; how high is the proverbial roach vitality? Would one be enough for a minor spell? 5? 10? Will crushing a container full of roaches in a reloadable rubber stamp to stamp a sigil with their haemolymph work? 
vkiNm and Kevak, please ready some baselines, I think my character will be testing this soon IC.))

[Insects have pretty damn low power, and thanks to there only being very little studies into the Arcane arts, Akras also doesn't have information available on the guideline on the input powers except 'More is good.' So go ahead and experiment! It's encouraged!]

((Something like this?
"Amadou opens his medical bag and takes a magic sink made of blotter paper covered in inactive wards and his healing sigil stamp. He loads a fresh cockroach cartridge on the stamp and presses a healing sigil made of twenty-five roaches' haemolymph to the casualty's forehead.
He then focuses their vitality into forcing the torn arteries to extend, connect and heal, carefully controlling the cellular division rate. If things start going wrong, he wipes the forehead sigil with the magic sink blotter, discharging the excess life force from the patient's sigil to the sink's wards."))

[Yes, this is good. Akras appreciates any attempts at industrialization of magic. They've already got wards-making industrialized by loading ward patterns into a program and have drones print them out onto surfaces. ]
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.

KaineFisher

• Bay Watcher
  • For fun and profit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2016, 11:53:44 am »

How about this:

Khaiden extends his hand upward, and spears of crackling black energy appear around him and zoom towards their target, piercing him but not leaving any marks. The corpse slumps to the floor, with it's skin turned ashen and eyes smoking.

(Entropic Bolts: destroys life on the cellular level)

Or this:

Khaiden walks up to the corpse and slashes its throat with his knife. What appears to be a near-solid gas is pulled from the new wound and is drawn into his body as Khaiden feels power flow through him.

(Harvest Soul: Requires Khaiden to inflict an additional wound that would have been fatal. Not required if the body isn't whole. Provides energy that can increase Khaiden's life force, strengthen his soul, or be used to create more necromantic energy.))
Power is how much control you have over your current situation.

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2016, 12:15:49 pm »

How about this:

Khaiden extends his hand upward, and spears of crackling black energy appear around him and zoom towards their target, piercing him but not leaving any marks. The corpse slumps to the floor, with it's skin turned ashen and eyes smoking.

(Entropic Bolts: destroys life on the cellular level)

Or this:

Khaiden walks up to the corpse and slashes its throat with his knife. What appears to be a near-solid gas is pulled from the new wound and is drawn into his body as Khaiden feels power flow through him.

(Harvest Soul: Requires Khaiden to inflict an additional wound that would have been fatal. Not required if the body isn't whole. Provides energy that can increase Khaiden's life force, strengthen his soul, or be used to create more necromantic energy.))

[I think the second one is okay, since corpses can't really dodge your attack and the ritual seems simple enough to not fuck up horribly. The first one feels more like god-moding, though. You can declare your attempt but never the result of it, like how you can declare your character taking aim at someone's head and fired their weapons at them but never declaring that the bullet pierces their skull and dropping them in an instant, maybe if you have the muzzle literally right up against their head as an execution then that should be fine, otherwise anything that you think would require a roll of any kind would best be left for the GM to handle the results.]

KaineFisher

• Bay Watcher
  • For fun and profit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2016, 12:22:30 pm »

[/quote]

[I think the second one is okay, since corpses can't really dodge your attack and the ritual seems simple enough to not fuck up horribly. The first one feels more like god-moding, though. You can declare your attempt but never the result of it, like how you can declare your character taking aim at someone's head and fired their weapons at them but never declaring that the bullet pierces their skull and dropping them in an instant, maybe if you have the muzzle literally right up against their head as an execution then that should be fine, otherwise anything that you think would require a roll of any kind would best be left for the GM to handle the results.]
[/quote]

The second was showing the effects of actually hitting a weaker opponent with enough damage to kill him. I thought I'd put out the maximum effects so it might be easier to figure out the visual effects of not killing or missing.

I apologize.

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2016, 12:24:17 pm »

[No need to apologize for. :) But yeah, if you want me to easily visualize the intended target, simply replace the 'X happens.' to 'Khaiden tries to make X happens.' and that's it! :D If it goes well, then things goes as intended. A critical success makes things better, usually.]

[Also, I think we're waiting for one more player? Someone PM'd me asking if he could join if he makes a char sheet within 24 hours, that was.. around half a day ago? you all okay with waiting for a bit to see if they still want to join us?]

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2016, 12:30:45 pm »

((The more the merrier, it's for the GM to set the limit on how many players they can handle. I don't mind waiting.))

((
The second was showing the effects of actually hitting a weaker opponent with enough damage to kill him. I thought I'd put out the maximum effects so it might be easier to figure out the visual effects of not killing or missing.[/quote]

IMO that second one looked more useful as an attack against a living creature; the dead shouldn't yield much energy.))

I am a Necromancer. I use my power over death to strike down the living and eat the souls of the fallen. I expend power doing the former and gain it doing the latter. That's really about it.
Amadou looks concerned about a particular bit of information.
"Khaiden, do you mean that necromancy actually eats at your life force? Just necromancy, or any magic?... Could that be the reason why I always felt so dead tired after aiding with the returning gate teams' wounded?

You say that you can eat the souls to convert them into energy; I've read that there are sacrifice-powered sigils used to channel effects... Would you help me in researching more into this?"

If Khaiden agrees, Amadou will ping the biology lab for a flask of live cockroaches, aether, gauze, tweezers and a bound live test animal. He'll also check with the quartermaster for a garlic press.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 12:36:11 pm by Maegil »

Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2016, 12:34:13 pm »

((I would be fine with waiting for bit.))
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

KaineFisher

• Bay Watcher
  • For fun and profit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2016, 12:42:41 pm »

"IMO that second one looked more useful as an attack against a living creature; the dead shouldn't yield much energy."

Remember, Khaiden suffers from severe malnourishment, and his body's suffered accordingly. Him knife-fighting means something's gone horribly wrong.

"Khaiden, do you mean that necromancy actually eats at your life force? Just necromancy, or any magic?... Could that be the reason why I always felt so dead tired after aiding with the returning gate teams' wounded?

You say that you can eat the souls to convert them into energy; I've read that there are sacrifice-powered sigils used to channel effects... Would you help me in researching more into this?"

"I have not tried other kinds of magic, as necromancy is what's been literally keeping me alive. I would be happy to help if it would help me as well. Otherwise I'll need compensation of some kind. It's not because I don't do charity, it's that I can't afford to."

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2016, 12:52:06 pm »

"Ah...can you actually feel life flows? Anyway, to begin, what would you think if I sacrificed a few critters for you to absorb and tell me how much energy they have? Then, I'll sacrifice a few more and try to use them to heal a test animal; when we're finished or it starts going wrong you can also have the animal's soul."
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 12:53:43 pm by Maegil »

KaineFisher

• Bay Watcher
  • For fun and profit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2016, 12:57:41 pm »

"Ah...can you actually feel life flows? Anyway, to begin, what would you think if I sacrificed a few critters for you to absorb and tell me how much energy they have? Then, I'll sacrifice a few more and try to use them to heal a test animal; when we're finished or it starts going wrong you can also have the animal's soul."
[/u]

"I didn't really pay attention to that kind of thing beyond "higher" life having stronger souls. If you have a way of measuring it it might work. Alright I'll help."

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2016, 01:11:03 pm »

"I don't know of any soul measuring devices, so it'll also be a test for you: let's see if you can attune yourself to life flow if you concentrate. Come on."
Amadou leads off to the biology labs.

KaineFisher

• Bay Watcher
  • For fun and profit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2016, 01:20:21 pm »

"I don't know of any soul measuring devices, so it'll also be a test for you: let's see if you can attune yourself to life flow if you concentrate. Come on."
Amadou leads off to the biology labs.

"Lead on."

(OOC):

Khaiden may seem trusting, but that's not the case. Right now it's a mix between "Nothing I can do if the corporation wants to harm me" and "I have no reason to believe my teammates will try to harm me."

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2016, 01:26:48 pm »

A Garlic press is easily obtained, and there will be monkeys in the Biolab. A Jar of live roaches, while strange, could very easily be obtained as well. If anything, they can just bio-print the roaches, it's not like they're that complicated when one can clone perfect human beings and more.

Question is, is Amadou going to leave the rest of his care at the room? there might still be someone who hadn't introduced themselves yet and who knows what might happen when you leave a bunch of primitives together with a quest of cooking instant soup. I know it's as easy as unwrapping the container, put the bar in a bowl and add hot water then stir well for a minute or so to have delicious, nutritious soup with chunky meatstuff, but really. Are you going to risk it? what if they put the thing in the microwave and it exploded? damned thing's going to cost money and you haven't even earned any yet!

Or what if they put it in the toilet and clogs it up? or the showers? or the bath!?

By the dead gods, what if they put it directly into the water boiler? It's going to be a mess!

At least you don't have a computer to worry about yet.. the amount of things they could find would be terrifying.

It'd be so bad if you returned only to find the room covered in feces as the savages make their mark or something.. the cleaning details would require a hazmat team for that, and they're going to expect to be paid too.

Hell, what if they mistook a bar of soap for food? That'd get them sick! you wouldn't want your team to be sick on your first mission!

If you fuck this up, what are they going to think of you? that you're some incompetent fool that can't keep a bunch of primitive savages in line? why, the chance of you climbing the corporate ladder would be non-existent then! then you'd never make it to space!

Oh the horror!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 201