Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 34

Author Topic: Gridland Survival! A game about learning lessons the hard way.  (Read 34523 times)

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
Re: Gridland Survival! Apparently a game about NOT gathering food and starving.
« Reply #180 on: October 19, 2016, 09:20:09 pm »

I am genuinely enjoying this.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 19, 2016, 10:29:14 pm »

Reading this has been funny but also painful. Natural selection at its finest.

Although rather than shut the game down, when this run through crashes and burns, and everyone dies, I would like to join the next attempt; if there is one.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 19, 2016, 10:33:36 pm »

Reading this has been funny but also painful. Natural selection at its finest.

Although rather than shut the game down, when this run through crashes and burns, and everyone dies, I would like to join the next attempt; if there is one.
In regards to this, I believe there is a waitlist. So if we all die due to stupidity, there are backups (not sure how many people are actually on the waitlist though)
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 19, 2016, 10:37:00 pm »

Heh. Alright, the game shall go on. I am still going to force a certain someone to declare they are eating a rationed love berry though. Its the principle of the matter: I specifically said you had to do this several times.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 19, 2016, 10:42:39 pm »

Honestly the best way out of this is to have everyone stop dicking around, and then have one guy work the farm, using a tool to save labor, and have the others forage and build more farms / upgrade the farm. Fertilizier sacrifices food for saving labor which is unecessary. It would probably be best at this point to build a hoe and build multiple farms rather than work the same one since it requires less plants to build a rank 0 farm than upgrade, and using a hoe costs the same labor as well. Additionally if you use the farming tool one guy could easily work more than one farm by himself.

I feel the GM's pain.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 20, 2016, 03:13:32 am »

My emails aren't working currently. Nor is anything else. Sorry if I might not always know what's going on for the next while...
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 20, 2016, 04:15:07 am »

I came and found a almost a whole page of new posts, that's uncommon in this game...
Yes, if I can't forage food I'll have a berry, thank you.
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Sprityo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 20, 2016, 06:53:35 am »

Honestly the best way out of this is to have everyone stop dicking around, and then have one guy work the farm, using a tool to save labor, and have the others forage and build more farms / upgrade the farm. Fertilizier sacrifices food for saving labor which is unecessary. It would probably be best at this point to build a hoe and build multiple farms rather than work the same one since it requires less plants to build a rank 0 farm than upgrade, and using a hoe costs the same labor as well. Additionally if you use the farming tool one guy could easily work more than one farm by himself.

I feel the GM's pain.
We can use inedible plants for fertilizer as well

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 20, 2016, 04:30:02 pm »

*Tip*
If you need to eat, you better specify it this turn. Don't expect me to hold up the next update just so you can survive.

Turn 12
All food items aside from Love Berries have been eaten, and 1 love berry has been eaten. Imic and Finsternis Geist take 2 starvation damage.

After many turns of not upgrading the farmland, Beatrix Purnima finally gets around to expanding the farmland. Research finished on the shield.
The insect swarm disperses.

Asker of Questions moves to F6 and forages the tile. 1 branch and 1 mushroom is found. The Carpentry Tool has been researched, which can increase efficiency when construcing buildings out of wood.

Easter Sunday finishes creating the Pit Trap at E7. Attempting to cover it with vegetation however, causes gravity to pull said vegetation into the hole... Research begins on selective breeding. This research appears to be just plain complicated as opposed to missing pre-requisites.

Imic harvests his current tile. 1 Waterleaf is located. Surprisingly, Imic has discovered a large amount of Glowroot in this tile, adding 5 to the communal inventory. The Masonry research has finished.

Finsternis Geist stops research on better tools to start research on the Basic Torch. The knowledge put towards advanced tools has been lost. On the plus side, the torch has already been figured out! Finsternis Geist goes to explore and forage on D7. An unknown branch has been found. Finsternis comes face to face with a large creature on this tile! It is roughly three times her size. It has two stubby legs and two long arms, and is covered in hair. It stares right at her, but does not appear to be immediately aggressive.

Finsternis cannot move back to E7 this turn. Remember that you can act then move, OR move then act.

A large and fast unidentified object can be seen moving high above the ground at a high speed...

Spoiler: Science (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Places (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bestiary (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Character List (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Communal Inventory (click to show/hide)
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 20, 2016, 04:51:25 pm »

((Planning to bind some branches with a vine to cover the pit trap- how many branches would this take?))

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 20, 2016, 04:56:20 pm »

Harvest farm using the Berry gathering tool. Research housing/actual buildings.

Guys, we need to start some hard-core foraging. If we don't get this food problem sorted out someone is going to die.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 07:15:51 pm by S34N1C »
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 20, 2016, 04:57:08 pm »

((Planning to bind some branches with a vine to cover the pit trap- how many branches would this take?))

A better question would be how much research would it take.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 20, 2016, 05:07:28 pm »

((Better than foraging would be making more farms. A hoe would help, but there are no more branches except for the one I got before...))

Build a branch gathering tool using the Yggdrasil branch.

Go to G6 and use the golden fruit gathering tool to get fruit; if a thieving animal approaches, scare it away or hit it with the tool.
Eat all the fruit or a love berry.

Research the stone axe.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 07:14:24 pm by Maegil »

Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 20, 2016, 05:41:29 pm »

Quick reminder: You can't use items on the same turn you gather them. Its a gm convenience logistics issue.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 20, 2016, 05:54:44 pm »

The Yggdrasil branch was collected last turn. Or do you mean we can't eat at once what we find?

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 34