Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 34

Author Topic: Gridland Survival! A game about learning lessons the hard way.  (Read 34476 times)

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
Re: Gridland Survival! Game Start
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2016, 07:31:23 am »

Avert thy gaze! The secrets are for new players only.
Also its not much of a secret, so if you figured it all out could you maybe keep that one quiet?
HA! It's too late! We've already seen it! :P
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 07:41:43 am by S34N1C »
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2016, 07:35:14 am »

Irrigation is an improvement to the farms. We learned to till, Imic is learning to automate watering for less work and better yields. It may also allow for more possible species, such as those river grasses that we still didn't investigate properly (watercress? Rice? Papyrus?).

EDIT: Oh, thank you very much, S34N1C. But with a small change your modified post doesn't make me look like as if I was on a complete non-sequitur.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:01:16 am by Maegil »
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2016, 08:34:18 am »

We shall farm much! We will eat like kings!
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2016, 03:46:58 pm »

I said I wasn't going to point out player mistakes, but this particular one is REALLY getting to me. Imic, please take a look at the "Free Research" ability which is part of the "Alpha" caste, and look at some of the other actions that players are taking, and consider how you can improve your actions. Or at least also look at the "Deep Thinking" natural ability. (which does not automatically trigger because of its downside)
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Sprityo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2016, 04:03:19 pm »

Ask for help on researching the fishing rod (open to anyone).

Name the unnamed Yellow Fruit, "Golden Fruit."

Take a unnamed branch and craft a Gathering Tool-Golden Fruit.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2016, 06:57:01 pm »

*Rule additions:*
See the Inventory rules on the first post for information on tools in the Communal Inventory.

*Tip*
If a specific food item is vital to your survival, you may choose to try to preserve it, which will cause all other food items to take precedence over that item.

Just because it isn't marked on the map, doesn't mean there isn't possible prey on a tile. Only the ones that can cause problems are marked.

Turn 5
The rest of the Mystery Food has been consumed. Your lack of foraging really surprised me.

Beatrix Purnima decides not to put herself in unnecessary danger, aside from collecting the berries that were dropped in close proximity to the Yider of course. One Love berry and other different berry are recovered. The bloody thorn plants actually appear to be rather small, growing near other plants. Beatrix also figures out how to create Fertilizer, which may potentially be useful if you survive long enough to get that farmland going properly.

Easter Sunday continues the fight against the Yider, attacking for 3 damage and inflicting poison upon it. He finally figures out the Bow technology, though actually creating the weapon may still prove to be difficult.

Asker of Questions picks up the stone and uses it to strike the Yider for 3 damage. It appears that the stone itself is actually not in and of itself a powerful weapon, though further research on the Stone Flail may be required. After a considerable amount of attacks the Yider still stands, although you are clearly getting some results. The Yider decides to retreat to E7 on the west, but not before giving Asker another demonstration of its attack, dealing 6 damage to him.

Next to starvation, Yiders might be the greatest threat to your existence. You'll want a good plan in place for dealing with them in the future.

Imic continues research on Irrigation, and figures out a way to cultivate river plants.

Finsternis Geist figures out how to create a fishing rod, however the early prototypes seem to be less effective than conventional methods of gathering. This is doubly true for people who posess a Gathering Tool, like the one that Finsternis now has!

Finsternis found another branch at her current location, which was used in place of one in the Communal Inventory.

A small furry creature is spotted at area F6, but it retreats upon catching a glimpse of you.

Spoiler: Science (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Places (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bestiary (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Character List (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Communal Inventory (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 06:58:46 pm by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2016, 07:04:28 pm »

Start foraging like a madwoman. Research making defenses out of the Bloody Thorns possible applications for the unknown herb.

((Thanks for pointing that out Maegil))
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:36:33 pm by S34N1C »
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2016, 07:29:09 pm »

((I already did that, it's the "palisade".))

Gather berries, but plant the first we find to complete the farm.
Continue researching the stone flail.

Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2016, 12:51:59 am »

Well, bugger.
I forage like something that does a lot of foraging.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2016, 01:17:23 am »

Easter Sunday pursues the Yider and throws a nearby rock at it. Start researching a knife design.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 10:08:18 am by vishdafish »

Sprityo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2016, 06:35:40 am »

"Knife" probably won't work, but a club or something primitive would be easier to research

Sprityo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2016, 06:39:36 am »

Move to G6 and gather Golden Fruit.

Research Farming. The offer for someone to assist Finsternis in researching or gathering still stands.

It's not like she has the Inspirational Leader skill or anything.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 06:41:19 am by Sprityo »

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2016, 10:07:59 am »

I am researching knife because when I kill the Yider, I will need something to skin and process it.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2016, 04:23:52 pm »

*Tip*
Letting the GM know exactly what you want can backfire. I prefer to use my ideas as opposed to your ideas when possible.

*Request*
When using a tool, please specify that you intend to use it. Otherwise I might forget about it.

Turn 6
Five food items are eaten from the Communal Inventory.

Beatrix Purnima forages tile F7 and is able to find 2 Love Berries. Research begins on Herbology.

Asker of Questions also forages tile F7, locating 1 Love Berry and 1 Unnamed glowing blue plant. Asker is unable to immedately use a newly gathered love berry due to logistical reasons. However since he already had access to love berries he is still able to complete the level 1 upgrade to the farmland. It now has the bare minimum size level to actually be used! Also, the stone flail design has been completed. Ordinary stones picked up off the ground will not be sufficient for crafting projects however.

Imic forages on tile F6, collecting 1 mushroom and 1 branch. Research resumes on the incomplete farming technology.

Easter Sunday follows the Yider to tile E7 and attack. Alone. He deals 3 damage. The Yider strikes back at Easter Sunday for 6 damage, then moves to the unfamiliar lands at E8. Research begins on the Knife.

Finsternis Geist moves to tile G6 and gathers Golden Fruit using the tool. 2 Golden Fruit and 1 Unnamed Vine are collected. Huh. It seems like there are vines over here after all!

Spoiler: Science (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Places (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bestiary (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Character List (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Communal Inventory (click to show/hide)

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2016, 04:37:03 pm »

((Masonry?! Why do we need a sculpted block for it? I did intend to later develop it into the knapped stone axe and the agricultural flail to shell grain, but - masonry? It was developed by nomadic tribes, it should be a stick, string and a longish stone, not masonry!))

Asker of questions will see if the farm yielded anything before moving to forage in E7.
He will be paying attention to fibrous plants while researching the "string".
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 05:47:39 pm by Maegil »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 34