Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34

Author Topic: Gridland Survival! A game about learning lessons the hard way.  (Read 34471 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Gridland Survival! Game Start
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2016, 08:05:49 am »

I go to E6 and attempt to make it farmable
Edit nevermind
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 01:57:30 pm by Imic »
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2016, 11:48:03 am »

@Imic: make a hoe first to make the work go faster, or help forage more berries to start production on the farm that is already tilled but unsowed.
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2016, 11:51:35 am »

Also note that all of us have a free research action every turn. We should make the most of this.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2016, 01:57:06 pm »

I shall research irrigation to make food growing more efficient.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2016, 02:05:03 pm »

You can do 3 labour actions (building has an express amount of labour required for a task, otherwise I guess 3 forage, scout, etc. rolls) PLUS one research action worth five or six out of ?. It's not one OR the other, it's both an action AND research.

Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2016, 04:29:34 pm »

*Rule additions:*
See the first post for an official statement on taking multiple actions. (It was not originally intended to be possible, but I have decided that there isn't a problem with it. Though you may be subjected to penalties)

*Tip*
Take a moment to look at the effects of the abilities that you have. Many players are wasting their potential. I'd point out all the mistakes you are making, but it would be much more fulfilling for you if you figure them out without GM intervention.

*Request*
I would appreciate it if you keep all of your actions in a single post. This is not mandatory, but it may be in the future if I get confused because of multiple action posts.

Turn 5
5 More food is eaten. Soon you will need to rely on the stuff you foraged for yourself.

The Asker of Questions figured out how to create a defensive building! Its not very effective as a trap, but placing several near eachother may make it easier to escape from large creatures.

Beatrix Purnima Begins reasearch on Fertility.

Easter Sunday makes a sneak attack on the Yider, throwing a rock at it instead of attacking with his poisonous melee attack, inflicting 4 damage to the beast.
The Asker of Questions joins in the attack, inflicting 3 damage.
Beatrix Purnima attempts to attack while gathering berries, dealing 4 damage to the beast. However the Yider retalliates, dealing 7 damage to Beatrix Purnima. The berries that have been gathered this turn are lost!

Finsternis Geist forages around the Giant Tree at F6 and locates 2 unknown mushrooms.

Imic STOPS research on Farming to begin research in Irrigation.

Spoiler: Science (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Places (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bestiary (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Character List (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Communal Inventory (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 05:01:01 pm by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2016, 04:38:49 pm »

Retreat, grabbing the berries that I dropped last turn. Hide behind some Bloody Thorns to keep it from following me. Continue researching Fertility
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 06:10:24 pm by S34N1C »
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2016, 04:57:26 pm »

Easter Sunday charges the Yider, and attacks with his fist. He continues research on bows.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2016, 05:22:18 pm »

Asker of Question noticed that the stone that Easter Sunday threw hurt the Yeder more than his hands, so he grabs the stone from where it fell and attacks the Yeder in melee with it.
He also noticed that one swing by the Yeder's long paws is more powerful than his own, even if Asker also had claws. He thinks that maybe putting a stone at the end of a stick to increase his swing could synergise the effects.
Asker of Questions is now inspired in researching the stone flail ((NOT the stone axe, that's for some other occasion)).

((How does teaching work? Can we teach abilities to each other?))
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 05:31:43 pm by Maegil »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2016, 08:01:59 pm »

Abilities are genetic advantages, so they cannot really be taught. The skill will be more relevant when you have a large population. Also, some abilities are not immediately useful due to a lack of related technology.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2016, 08:15:25 pm »

(( I would LOVE to join this.))

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2016, 08:30:05 pm »

Suddenly it occurs to me that I need to update the first post to make it abundantly clear to new players that they are recommended to create their own skills instead of picking from the list... And maybe make some additional tweaks while I am at it. I JUST NOW got a new idea.

I will also point out that Deep Thinking is already a species skill, so there is not really any point in picking that as a species skill again because everyone already has it. Also, additional species skills are not currently being accepted. Something about it being weird if every member of the species spontaneously changed each time a new player joined.

Oh, and you won't get to join immediately. I'm trying to do some cool semi-secret thing with new players.

Umm... Maybe just send me a PM LordPorkins and I'll let you in on the secret.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2016, 10:21:16 pm »

((So, new characters are genetically poorer with only three abilities?))

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2016, 12:16:57 am »

Avert thy gaze! The secrets are for new players only.
Also its not much of a secret, so if you figured it all out could you maybe keep that one quiet?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2016, 03:01:28 am »

I continue researching irrigation.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34