Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Rogue Trader: Through the Looking Glass  (Read 11128 times)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rogue Trader: Through the Looking Glass
« on: September 20, 2016, 05:38:49 pm »

OOC thread

the Crew, current:

Former crew:

The honored dead:

After having passed through the warp-gate known as the Aurorus Ring the passage has been quite smooth.  Three weeks have passed with no incidents and it will be another three until the ship emerges near Port New Haven.  Lord Captain Holt and his esteemed crew have been invited to an opera being put on by another Rogue Trader, a rare chance to see the famed Navigator-Vocalist Saydra Marrine.

The command staff are meeting in the early hours of third watch. An informal game of Dalen-Dash, a card and token betting system, hosted by Captain Holt.  These semi-regular games have become a combination of debriefing and strategy session in a calm atmosphere. 

Spoiler: On Spoilers (click to show/hide)

Captain Holt
Spoiler: Lord-Captain Holt (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sierra-Beta (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sarvus (click to show/hide)

Feel free to start talking, for now this is a holding lobby for some initial role play before I start the real opening on Port New Haven.  The other accepted characters are also here and I will update what they have been up to soon.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 04:42:20 am by VoidSlayer »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader: Through the Looking Glass
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 05:43:48 pm »

PTW
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 05:47:57 pm »

Kordag silently stood behind the Lord Captains chair leaned against the wall. That was his customary place when the humans played these games. He was never invited and he never asked; besides he liked watching far more than playing himself.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 06:28:15 pm »

Sierra-Beta was quite good at the game.
Pattern recognition. Analysis of remaining cards. Some had seemed surprised a techpriest had deigned to take part, and she'd only realised the blunder to her masquarade when it was too late.

Her intelligence was probably the highest on the ship, assisted and tamed by the neural circuity implanted by her mother/sister/creator.

She wondered what her sisters were doing. Had they ended on a similiar path? Replace, then assimilate? She alone, presumbly, had the extent of her own cybernetics, and wore her mother/sister/creator's mantle. She had the advantage.
It was why they fled, from the dark tunnels they had hunted each other.

Meat. Appetite, always growing. Troublesome. With a proper lab set up she could clone flesh for consumption. If all else failed, and the ship-cattle ran out, there were plenty of crew. A few would not be missed.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 06:32:56 pm »

Spoiler: Nathin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Kordag Blightfang (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Herenton (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bron (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Amara (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Anarette (click to show/hide)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 06:48:45 pm »

((I like to story so far. Interesting spin on it all, though I don't really have any interesting ideas on what to post to start with :-/.))

Holt is sitting on his throne-like chair, a simple wooden construction decorated with xenos-pelts and topped with the skull of a particularly fearsome looking beast. His chin is resting on his left fist, while his right hand goes through the motions of the game. From the look on his face, it was clear his thoughts where elsewhere at the moment.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 07:15:12 pm »

Herenton was aboard the Shark Assault Boat he had been assigned so long ago, in what felt like another life, conferring with the last members of the Spirit. Most where his crew, but there where others who had survived and where retrieved after the pirates  left them to float among the detritus of their homes and families.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 08:40:47 pm »

Anarette's presence on the bridge is mostly for the strategy and debrief rather than the game itself. She'd rather be doing something productive while she was up, but her presence was expected at such an event. That said, while she was here she may as well make an effort.

The intelligence of the Master at Arms might be surprising to those who only knew her by position. What brains are needed in pointing a gun or swinging a sword, after all? Many would think of a muscle-bound brute in the position. But despite this, Anarette is probably the next most intelligent to the tech priest (why was she here, anyway? Did she not have more important duties, regarding the ship?)- although likely not nearly as learned in subjects of lore as some other officers- and is keeping up with the augmented enginseer in the game.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 08:52:51 pm »

PTW
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 12:08:51 am »

As the first game progresses Anarette and Sierra-Beta make several solid moves, countering each other and drawing the board to a stalemate between them.  Then Holt draws a new hand and... it is perfect.  A few cards go down and the board is covered in knock down pieces.  A fateful card is drawn for the next round and it is Disaster.  It takes only a few seconds of glancing over the table for everyone to realize it is a draw. 

The table wins the round and the bets are moved to a pot for the second game.

It is clear to Kordag that the Captain is not interested, he could have easily turned that hand into a win if he had been paying attention.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 12:50:50 am »

Nathin sat on a chair at the meeting table, paying almost no attention to the game, instead his empty sockets were turned towards on a wall, resting his 'sight' on nothingness. Once the hand finished, in a draw apparently, Nathin took the his time as he put his requisite ante forward to study the other members of the command staff. Although he had only known them for a short time, not a one of them seemed the type that Nathin was likely to get along with well. Still, to serve did not require to get along with, and perhaps, just perhaps, with time some as yet hidden quality within one or more of them would reveal itself and them as more then just a planet dwelling rogue.

As his gaze moved over the xenos pet the captain kept, his mouth twisted in a grimace of disgust. It was surely quite uncouth that such a creature would be allowed in the meeting room. Certainly even giving such a thing the free range it had instead of keeping it in some sort of cage (or even better, out an air lock) was simply irresponsible. However, saying such things was not Nathins place, and so he fought back his disgust and moved his gaze onward to the captain himself.

Although sometimes difficult to make out though the flashes of insight, impression, and inspiration that made up his sight, the facial expression on the captains face was unmistakable to even Nathin as some who's mind was a sector away.

"So then all seems to be going well and, Emperor willing, in three weeks we shall be in port Port New Haven and the Aurorus Expanse. Have we given any thought to what we shall do once we have arrived? Or, perhaps thought to something else, as you seem quite distracted by something." Nathin asked.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 03:26:47 am »

Kordag was confused...as usual. Why would the Captain lose the game? He was not about to ask, it was expected of him to stay silent, if only to avoid any altercations with the Crew, besides he didnt want to question the Captains authority like that foolish Gul across from him did.

He smelled all wrong too. Tainted in the smells of the inedible. Something to keep a distance to, as the Gul was bound to be consumed by the Inedible in due time.

The Inedible. Chaos as the Gul called it. A strange and unknown concept to the Kin. It smelled horrible and tasted worse, anathema to his kind. Yet the Gul seemed to hate it all the while using it at the same time...strange beings indeed.

He waited for the Captain to speak, his beak clattering once to show his assent, although the Gul of course would not understand.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 10:22:46 am »

Nathin sat on a chair at the meeting table, paying almost no attention to the game, instead his empty sockets were turned towards on a wall, resting his 'sight' on nothingness. Once the hand finished, in a draw apparently, Nathin took the his time as he put his requisite ante forward to study the other members of the command staff. Although he had only known them for a short time, not a one of them seemed the type that Nathin was likely to get along with well. Still, to serve did not require to get along with, and perhaps, just perhaps, with time some as yet hidden quality within one or more of them would reveal itself and them as more then just a planet dwelling rogue.

As his gaze moved over the xenos pet the captain kept, his mouth twisted in a grimace of disgust. It was surely quite uncouth that such a creature would be allowed in the meeting room. Certainly even giving such a thing the free range it had instead of keeping it in some sort of cage (or even better, out an air lock) was simply irresponsible. However, saying such things was not Nathins place, and so he fought back his disgust and moved his gaze onward to the captain himself.

Although sometimes difficult to make out though the flashes of insight, impression, and inspiration that made up his sight, the facial expression on the captains face was unmistakable to even Nathin as some who's mind was a sector away.

"So then all seems to be going well and, Emperor willing, in three weeks we shall be in port Port New Haven and the Aurorus Expanse. Have we given any thought to what we shall do once we have arrived? Or, perhaps thought to something else, as you seem quite distracted by something." Nathin asked.

Without particular movement or change in expression, Holt speaks. "My mind is simply on the opera. You know how I do so love the arts." Finally, his expression shifts, though his position stands firm. "We will resupply ourselves at the Port. The journey has been difficult on some of the supplies, so the reports say. After that is settled, it is off to the opera."
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 03:25:53 pm »

Bron played at the game quietly enough, with the occasional murmur, remark, and curse at a misplay and loss. Though one cannot be too sure about what lies underneath the masks and heavy clothes the bulky man wears. With a glance at Holt and Nathin he only shakes his head and speaks in a deep rough voice, I don't understand why we'd waste time at some 'opera', but if yer' hunting for something good, my blade's at the ready. Even if I'm pissing like a grox.
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 01:26:22 am »

From an adjacent chair, Sarvus watches the game, occasionally taking notes on a dataslate, and taking messages from runners from various departments of the ship. Dalen-Dash appealed to him conceptually, because it was a good practice field for the machinations of his work, but he had little experience with the peasants' game. The tech-prie... no, the herete- no, not that either... the Engineseer Prime may be near perfect with the numbers of the game, but they telegraphed their moves to a ridiculous extent. The Lord-Captain, on the other hand, his head was not for the numbers, but he had skill and stoicism (or perhaps absentmindedness) on his side, something the Explorator clearly lacked. Still, he watched the mechanic appendages as they held the cards: one could never be too sure that they wouldn't spring forth an extra card to tilt the game.
Still remembering the last time he played, and got thoroughly trounced, he passed on the opportunity to be dealt in.
Without particular movement or change in expression, Holt speaks. "My mind is simply on the opera. You know how I do so love the arts." Finally, his expression shifts, though his position stands firm. "We will resupply ourselves at the Port. The journey has been difficult on some of the supplies, so the reports say. After that is settled, it is off to the opera."
Sarvus chides the Lord-Captain, "Lord-Captain, I do implore you, leave that concern to me. I have already compiled the list of necessary resupplies, which I foresee no issues procuring. I've scheduled a meeting with Nathin to send astropathic messages to the contacts I have in the local government and merchants to prepare for our arrival. Your focus, if I may be so bold, should be on preparing for the opera, and meeting with the other Trader who procured us this invitation. I foresee a productive outcome, if handled correctly."
The High Factotum turns towards the ship's Master Telepathica, Nathin, while consulting his dataslate. "We are still meeting at ten hundred, next cycle, correct? You said that would be best for you, last week."
Hardly waiting for an answer, he turns back to the Lord-Captain, he beckons forward an aid, carrying reams of parchment. "Moving on, Lord-Captain, would you like to hear my report on the status of the ship, crew, and cargo?"
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 11:15:39 pm by My Name is Immaterial »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7