Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just cracked open a cavern layer from 59 to 123...  (Read 2126 times)

davidc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just cracked open a cavern layer from 59 to 123...
« on: September 20, 2016, 09:00:41 am »

I'm a newb, but I was expecting to get a cavern a lot earlier, then the one that I got was crazy.  :)

Interesting anyways, no content really, I just wanted to share my excitement!  :)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just cracked open a cavern layer from 59 to 123...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 11:12:36 am »

Yes, you can sometimes get horrible caverns that are so incredibly high, and you can have thick embarks. You may want to verify whether it's the first cavern, though, or if you've managed to bypass it. That can be done, at least to some extent, by looking at the flora and fauna.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 11:44:30 am »

If the trees are all scary red bloodthorns, consider holding off on DIGGING DEEPER for the time being. ;)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 01:32:42 pm »

On the contrary! Finding the red juice means you can power your power hungry workshops.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 03:34:21 pm »

Psychic dwarven farmers can always tell you where the caverns are. Just ask them where they can build a large farm plot.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 04:22:04 pm »

Make a bridge with a chasm on both sides.  Put a bearded sentry there that only says, "You shall not pass."

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 06:40:56 pm »

As someone who loves to build natural cavern fortresses, I envy you. ;)

Make a copy of that save and share it with me!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 07:46:33 pm »

These pop up sometimes with massive elevation differences between borders of underground regions. I recall one example was el 1 ocean, el 100 shrubland(embark), el 400 mountain.

Empty space's not really useful - though grand to look at in visualizer, but you can make one serve as drop pit I suppose. Give all dwarves some dodge training, make everywhere a catwalk and watch them plummet to their doom at the slightest threat.

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 07:54:03 pm »

These pop up sometimes with massive elevation differences between borders of underground regions. I recall one example was el 1 ocean, el 100 shrubland(embark), el 400 mountain.

Empty space's not really useful - though grand to look at in visualizer, but you can make one serve as drop pit I suppose. Give all dwarves some dodge training, make everywhere a catwalk and watch them plummet to their doom at the slightest threat.

One of my favorite forts is on another computer stashed somewhere. I think I told you about it. It was this massive chasm under a glacier, going all the way down to livable land at the very bottom. I built bridges going from side to side of the chasm, gradually making their way down to the city. It was really cool. From a design point, I think empty space can be fun. :D

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 08:38:44 pm »

You should make the entrance to your main fort require a passage over a bridge that rests at the very top of those caverns.

Failure to pass means a 50z+ plummet.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 03:36:04 am »

One of my favorite forts is on another computer stashed somewhere. I think I told you about it. It was this massive chasm under a glacier, going all the way down to livable land at the very bottom. I built bridges going from side to side of the chasm, gradually making their way down to the city. It was really cool. From a design point, I think empty space can be fun. :D

That sounds awesome, you should upload it to the map archive if you get the chance. Sounds horribly thematic.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 03:38:27 pm »

That sounds awesome, you should upload it to the map archive if you get the chance. Sounds horribly thematic.
Does the nobility have their own homes suspended way up high to plummet to their doom enjoy the view?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 06:59:57 pm »

Does the nobility have their own homes suspended way up high to plummet to their doom enjoy the view?

They should be constructed in such a way that the removal of a single tile will cause it to plummet.

This is the best fort.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 07:10:05 pm »

In that particular fortress, all of the bridges part in two, retracting in opposite directions. You have to cross so many to get down to the city, a lever pull can pretty much cut off any invasion -- if the traps don't off them first!

As for my nobles, I'd never rig them with deadly rooms. Never, never. We're home to the monarch, after all! ;)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 07:48:49 pm »

with the stresses of rule, what leader can be faulted for confusing the emergency escape lever for the soothing shower lever?

Pages: [1] 2