Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Fuck you Microsoft  (Read 20567 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck you Microsoft
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2016, 12:34:13 am »

Just fucking pirate it if you're going to.
People don't care what your excuse is. It doesn't matter. The government and companies that look down on it don't care why you're pirating, and neither do other people.

You don't need to make excuses. You're not doing it because "of their stupid DRM to teach them a lesson!!!", you're not doing it because "oh it's overpriced and I think it's unfair to ask this much." You're doing it because you don't want to pay for it.
I don't care myself that you don't want to pay for it, but you don't need to fucking rationalize it. There's no point.

In my eyes, there are only two "just" reasons to pirate: 1.) If you're relatively short on money and plan on buying it if it's good, or 2.) If you already own it.
But even then. See "I don't care ..."
Because it doesn't matter. Your rationale for pirating changes absolutely fucking nothing.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2016, 04:39:41 am »

This is the Microsoft vent thread, not the pirate vent thread, Chiefwaffles. Let's try to stay on topic. ;)

The reason being purported here is #2. Microsoft's DRM is locking out their paying customers. They're inadvertently encouraging piracy with their crap. People have things they need to do on their machines, without sitting in a support queue all the time.

At best, they learn better than to support products loaded with DRM. EA taught me that lesson way back when with Spore. Windows Live: Not even once.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 04:53:23 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2016, 06:59:51 am »

Your rationale for pirating changes absolutely fucking nothing.
Whose rationale for pirating? Coming, without other indicated context, straight after my own post I fear you have misread my contribution.

(My own complaints about Microsoft tend towards breaking things that didn't need fixing, in the highly understamdable name of 'progress', but they aren't the only ones, and computing isn't the only field.)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2016, 08:15:11 am »

If you have two systems that can do the same thing (ignoring games for this point), the better option for the average paying customer is the one that wastes the least amount of your time in setup. DRM in this situation would be fine in theory, except for that the only ones adding it want to avoid the simpler, more reliably not fucking up kind in favor of the more 'impressive', or the 'more undefeatable', or just the more complicated kind because they think it will work better.

Instead, it inevitably doesn't work (probably because you underestimated how much server capacity you'd need to deal with your online check) and it pisses everyone off because the ones its supposed to slow down had no trouble smashing it to bits and your support desk is full of customers asking why their legitimate software isn't working properly and that they have other things to do today than deal with this shit. If your crap is good enough, then you don't need to hide it under a giant lock, just put *a* lock on it and move on.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:19:12 am by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2016, 11:27:22 am »

Post to - - good grief.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2016, 11:46:34 am »

Yeah.
Today ms access didnt allow me to do a full outer join.

Fuck them.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2016, 11:46:49 am »

in the end I went on a shady reseller and bought a discounted key, that worked so be it. I still hate the part where I had to spend 30e for their incompetence, but hey, it's not like I got alternatives

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2016, 12:41:46 pm »

I still hate the part where I had to spend 30e for their incompetence, but hey, it's not like I got alternatives
[Lengthy ramble about how you could totally use Linux for lots of things, and at least some games]
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2016, 12:48:33 pm »

*Points at page two, suggesting ubuntu's WINE PPA to get new wine builds, even on Mint.

*has Wine 1.9.15 on a CHROMEBOOK for crying out loud.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2016, 02:44:05 pm »

I still hate the part where I had to spend 30e for their incompetence, but hey, it's not like I got alternatives
[Lengthy ramble about how you could totally use Linux for lots of things, and at least some games]

at least some games is not good enough. also, been there done that. updating gpu every release and stuff is no fun and I ain't got time for that shit. I've a few hours top to dedicate to gaming every week and I'm not gonna spend them watching (in)aptitude go and run driver scripts on the bash

besides even games with linux port rarely have cross platform multiplayer support or even cross platform mods

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2016, 05:15:06 pm »

Just fucking pirate it if you're going to.
People don't care what your excuse is. It doesn't matter. The government and companies that look down on it don't care why you're pirating, and neither do other people.

You don't need to make excuses. You're not doing it because "of their stupid DRM to teach them a lesson!!!", you're not doing it because "oh it's overpriced and I think it's unfair to ask this much." You're doing it because you don't want to pay for it.
I don't care myself that you don't want to pay for it, but you don't need to fucking rationalize it. There's no point.

In my eyes, there are only two "just" reasons to pirate: 1.) If you're relatively short on money and plan on buying it if it's good, or 2.) If you already own it.
But even then. See "I don't care ..."
Because it doesn't matter. Your rationale for pirating changes absolutely fucking nothing.

^Trololololol

So Win 10 now profiles your hardware installation and assumes any change is a new license? Or is it just the upgrade?

Previously that shit only happened with OEM copies of Windows sold to laptop manufacturers. Now the fucking Desktop version of Windows 10 does that too? ><

Fuck you Microsoft.
I guess they think their main consumers aren't technically minded and wouldn't be performing at-home hardware upgrades, so the feature won't hurt sales. It doesn't help that, last time I checked, Linux doesn't have as much support from hardware makers.

EDIT "they think" WHOO what a typo.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 06:42:02 pm by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2016, 08:44:56 pm »

Strange, I have done several in-home upgrades, (CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD->SSD) and never had a licencing problem. When I reinstalled the OS from the ISO you can download, I didn't even have to input a product key, and it was able to activate itself. I suppose the experience varies between people, but I have had quite a smooth experience with Windows activation.

The person next to me at the moment using Ubuntu is currently dealing with this problem where their gedit window has a large transparent gap around it between the program, and the edge of the window. So I don't get the impression that it's any less buggy than windows. Which is unfortunate, because W10 is certainly been a quirky experience for me.

Maybe my next computer will be a Mac...
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2016, 11:39:46 pm »

Your rationale for pirating changes absolutely fucking nothing.
Whose rationale for pirating? Coming, without other indicated context, straight after my own post I fear you have misread my contribution.

(My own complaints about Microsoft tend towards breaking things that didn't need fixing, in the highly understamdable name of 'progress', but they aren't the only ones, and computing isn't the only field.)

It was more in general. I'm just tired of hearing people saying "Well I pirate but IT'S TOTALLY OKAY BECAUSE EEEVIL GAME COMPANIE$ DURR."
Your post and some others before mine were really just the tiny straw that broke the camel's back.

QUICKEDIT:
But yeah. Probably not the best place for it, but as I said, it's been just a gradual thing. I don't really care about pirating itself. Just the shitty excuses some people make for it. If I do post again in this thread (which would probably only be if I saw a solveable problem/gross misconception, which is maybe unlikely since this thread seems to have passed the stupid-blind-hatred phase), it won't be piracy-related.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 11:44:11 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2016, 12:12:52 am »

my own contribution was more along the lines of illustrating the obsurdity of the antipiracy mechanism itself.

Piracy is the illegal use of a copyrighted work; eg, the use of that work without a license or permission.

in the world of software, mechanisms to assure that only authorized or licensed use happens exist. we call this DRM.

this takes many forms, but the oldest is the use of an item with real scarcity as a key.  this has ranged from a hardware port dongle, to a code wheel, to something written in a manual that is obscure... basically anything physical that requires physical resources and dedication to duplicate, and which has a cost to distribute.

the more modern disk key idea is an evolution of this that has a compromise. a digital key is generated from a complicated algorithm that is difficult to derive from first principles, is unique to a specific install, (ideally generated using data unique to the system being installled on, thus making the system itself the key), but which costs little to distribute, making it less costly for the software maker.

the trouble is as I stated.  Locks do not keep thieves out. They keep honest people honest.

a person who really wants the content that is locked up, but does not want to, or cannot through some set of circumstances, get at it the intended way, will look for ways around the lock.  the honest person knows they do not have permission, and the added hassle of breaking the lock to get inside is a powerful deterrant, since they are in a position to, or are willing to, gain proper access permission, which is easier. the value of the lock is that it adds inconvenience to improper access, equal to or greater than the costs of attaining proper access.

so, what about really onerous restrictions to access, that are clumsy, or add serious inconvenience to gaining or using proper access?

at some point, the desire to stop wrongful access creates a situation where complete removal of the lock once and for all, becomes prefferable to the honest person than dealing with the gatekeeper every day.

when that happens, the gatekeeper not only becomes inefectual, it becomes counter effectual.

remember, the honest person has first and foremost gone through the effort of trying to gain legitimate access to the content, and is just being wrongfully denied by the gate keeper.  thier access to the content is not illegal or immoral, they have obtained legal rights to that access.

at this point, the actions of the gatekeeper put strong pressure on the legitimate user to circumvent the gatekeeper completely.  they now have precisely zero incentive to play by the gatekeeper's rules, and the more officious he is, the more disincentive they hve to go through him.

Modern software makers have decided that DRM stops thieves.  This is the essential failure.

the thief never has incentive to use the gatekeeper, even when he is polite, cheerful, and jovial. they never have incentive to properly obtain the keys to the content they are seekng. they want the content at no tangible cost to themselves, and being very practiced at gaining wrongful or inappropriate access, find this method of gaining accesss trivially easy.

now, revisit again the first scenario of the legitimate user resorting, out of desperation, to improper access due to a beligerant gatekeeper.  they gain practice and confidence in ganing such access, further eroding the real mechanism by which restrictions drive sales. Once they gain this expertise, they become less and less willing to gain proper access, as it becomes less and less convenient to gain proper accesss, even with a friendly and jovial gatekeeper.

Locks do not stop thieves.
Locks keep honest people honest.

If the lock is too much of a hassle, it makes even honest people resort to smashing the lock with a hammer.

The ideal lock adds just enough hassle that the honest person stays honest.

the idea that a lock can turn a thief into an honest person is a fantasy.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2016, 01:46:48 am »

A thief will look for a way around a lock, but their ability to succeed depends on their skill and knowledge, and their failure to bypass it does not make them an honest person. So a good enough gatekeeper can most certainly stop thieves. Have you ever came back to your house and found your door lock totalled, but nothing stolen?
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10