Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Fuck you Microsoft  (Read 20562 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck you Microsoft
« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2016, 11:01:25 am »

« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 02:38:42 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2016, 03:42:59 pm »

Enjoy being served....
Did you ever play a game called Abe's Oddworld Odyssee?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2016, 01:47:03 pm »

Never played, but know of.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2016, 08:35:36 am »

Good bloody grief, I agree with you completely.

I have now resolved even more to never get a cell phone.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2016, 08:55:02 am »

I have reverted to landline and not owned a cellphone for over 6 years now. It's so nice to be back in the old life of not being on 24/7 dispatch service, and the sheer disbelief it meets with it is extraordinarily entertaining.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 01, 2016, 07:34:47 pm »

I have reverted to landline and not owned a cellphone for over 6 years now. It's so nice to be back in the old life of not being on 24/7 dispatch service, and the sheer disbelief it meets with it is extraordinarily entertaining.
Where I live it's actually cheaper to get a cellphone and just leave it sitting on the countertop at your house than it is to get an actual landline. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2016, 12:30:00 pm »

Lol over here the landline comes free with the internets. As in, The monthly fee for internet with or without landline is the same.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 02, 2016, 02:32:01 pm »

Similar for me.  It is trivial the difference between ADSL + Landline, and ADSL - Landline.    Maybe 10$.

I keep the landline for bad weather (Tornado alley) and other emergencies.

I carry a cellphone, but it is for emergencies on the road-- and I have it hacked seven ways to sunday. (No, the carrier does NOT own my phone, *I* do, and I exercise that ownership. I run a custom compiled cyanogen mod, that does what *I* want, and has all the unneeded crap stripped out.)

I have the inclination to control my smart device, and do so religiously. (will not purchase a device that *I* dont control. if I want to destroy the filesystem on the device, I expect to be able to do so. Walled gardens, and enforced "mittens mode" are things I wont tolerate from computers, no matter their size.) As such, I dont consider my use incorrect-- I shop very carefully when picking one, and immediately terminate the device maker's hold over it as soon as I get it home with a complete system reload.

A far as I am concerned, that is the only really effective way to retain ownership in the face of these kinds of trends. I hear that the Library of Congress's new provisions to the DMCA kicked in last week, permitting me to do this, no matter what the device maker says in the EULA. They just dont have to honor warranty-- Like I would expect them to warranty my own handiwork anyway. Muahahaha.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 02, 2016, 02:51:59 pm »

You know, I have to wonder, just how many people want to go against what companies are trying to do, but simply do not know where to look to learn how to break the control...
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 02, 2016, 03:20:37 pm »

That is bulletted item #1 on prior page. People lack either the time ( to learn, or to maintain), or the inclination, but such control needs to be right exercised or there is chaos. ( see IoT madness that brought down Dyn)

When this happens, there is a monetary opportunity, which causes bulletted item 2).

I forbid the feedback loop from continuing on my purchase, by exercising real ownership, and properly controlling my device.

The information on how to gain that control is free to anyone with the time and inclination.  If you lack those, you cannot be an effective owner.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 02, 2016, 11:25:16 pm »

I'm not going to read the whole thread so I don't know if anyone has answered your question and my techy senses are tingling.

Hit the Windows key -> Search for and select "Sign-In Options" -> Go to the top tab -> Select Sign in with a local account
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 03, 2016, 10:02:29 am »

Yep I already got that advice one or two pages down the thread but your helpfulness is appreciated anyway.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 04, 2016, 12:56:32 pm »

l.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 02:33:36 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 04, 2016, 04:01:40 pm »

PTW

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 04, 2016, 04:20:51 pm »

I am a luddite. This strengthens my resolve.

Further, I do not want a cashless society. Particularly not in this environment, where everything is, or will presently be, tracked, licensed and always under negotiation, and could be snapped away at any moment. People who benefit from it tends to claim that we are 'moving towards a cashless future'. I'd like to argue that we are mostly dragged into it by our hair. You can 'ave me crowns when you pry them from me cold, dead 'ands, I say!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10