Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Project Superbowl II: Project Gloryhole  (Read 1401 times)

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
Project Superbowl II: Project Gloryhole
« on: September 19, 2016, 10:03:21 pm »

It took a year to do.  And it is complete, at last.

My first shot at Project Superbowl had been a structure a few Z-layers high, set around a magma pipe.  I only realized much, much later into the project that I had grossly mis-designed the structure, and it was far too ugly and ill-shaped to be looked at.  In disgust, I abandoned the fortress.

With a renewed vigor, I set out on a bigger, better version.

This should do.

And if it doesn't, I took pictures.

Happy visiting.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Project Superbowl II: Project Gloryhole
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 11:46:59 pm »

Odd, I swear I commented...

Anyway. Huckfueg fortress, the total span of which escapes my grasp. And very shiny too, operational.

Obviously, you saw that the vanilla magmatube was too ugly and misshapen, and made your own. Bigger! And Better! More symmetrical!

Obsidian is kind of volcanic glass, after all.

But, hm, setting aside the scale of the DF's largest rain catcher, where did you move the cavern lakes while you were smoothing them?

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 05:43:26 pm »

Odd, I swear I commented...
If I'm logged out, it's like I'm seeing an old snapshot of the DF Map Archive somehow - there are no comments, and the first six POIs I had set up before going to bed, to finish the work the next day.   :o

But, hm, setting aside the scale of the DF's largest rain catcher, where did you move the cavern lakes while you were smoothing them?
I'm not sure which part you are referring to.  Which Z-level?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 07:41:42 pm »

z72.

And oh wow, yeah there's more stuff logged in. Wtdmfa.

Thus, commenting here.

07 - Nobody could guess it was a volcano? Uh...Only when off :P

08 - kek. Do goblins often dodge through walls, even with just 1 weapon per trap?

11 - Yeah, it's only most of the mountain. FPS?!?!?

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 08:11:20 pm »

z72.
Down there is a piece of solid rock that I hollowed out to turn into a clean water reservoir.  The well dips into this.

08 - kek. Do goblins often dodge through walls, even with just 1 weapon per trap?
No one could escape the final design.  The first iteration had grates, in an attempt to spread blood around, but physics turned out to work differently than in 40d, and the addition of trolls as building destroyers made the thing too time-consuming to maintain.

Interestingly, some goblins could dodge the traps forever.  I had to send the militia in there to finish off the stragglers!

11 - Yeah, it's only most of the mountain. FPS?!?!?
When all switches are off, I can cruise at a comfy 20-ish FPS, from memory.  If I activate the Project, the FPS goes down to 5.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 08:46:31 pm »

Regarding those traps, are the mechanisms masterwork?

20 FPS....That's impressive, for such an oppressively colossal fortress.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 09:50:55 pm »

The pathfinding wasn't too bad I suppose.  Ultimately most of the work went into building the structure, so there were few paths available to do that.  Really my biggest problem was the input lag whenever selecting materials, but I solved this by forbidding any and all stone and blocks I wasn't intending to use in the short term.  :)

For the traps, the mechanisms might have been masterwork, or not.  I had several mechanics and didn't pay much attention to build quality.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 07:45:54 pm »

PROFILE - SAMANTHA FISHER

Born under mysterious circumstances, she was initially just another face in the first waves of migrants at the Project, back when it was merely called Growlwork.  Illegitimate children of the world were many in these troubled times, and she was no exception.  With no one to teach her the skills of life, she made up her own schooling, and succeeded at it better than most.

Things took a turn for the worse when a few weeks later, the fellow dwarf Litast Flukebolted was found in her bedroom, white as a ghost, and completely drained of her blood.

Immediately, suspicion arose in the fortress.  There had been no witnesses, and no one knew how to deal with a blood-sucker.  It was initially dismissed as a fluke, hopefully nothing more than a supernatural happenstance, maybe even an accident.

This was a grave mistake.  She silently killed sixteen more dwarves before we took drastic measures.

Suddenly, it was declared that all citizens were barred from their bedrooms.  They were to sleep in a communal bedroom from now on, under watch from the militia at all times.

Not even that worked.  Becoming hungry again, Samantha casually stepped in one night, sucked a seventeenth dwarf clean of his blood before the entire militia's eyes, and left, with no one batting an eye about it.

That was enough.  Besmar Riddlebanners, expedition leader and Head Honcho of the fortress, implemented a last-ditch effort.

She ordered the construction of the Vault of The Forgotten.

A carefully selected handful of dwarves worked on the project in complete secrecy.  A door was placed, and promptly barred from entrance by any and all dwarves.  All but one.  The very next day, it was announced that Samantha had been drafted into the militia.  She was sent to patrol that very new section of the fortress immediately.

Not wanting to break her cover, and as expected from Besmar, she obeyed.  As she reached the dead-end of a corridor, a drawbridge promptly rose behind her, and sealed her away.

Meanwhile, Besmar renamed the vampire to the community.  We called her Samantha Fisher, in inspiration of a legendary thief from human mythology.

Over the months, Samantha became quiet, almost unheard of... only for her to strike again.  A thundering noise filled the fortress, profound and unsettling.  Citizens and visitors alike keeled over in pain, their movements nearly slowed to a halt.  Production in the fortress ground to a standstill.  Getting anything accomplished had become impossible.  It was as if time itself had stopped, the fortress stuck into a molasses of lethargy.

We all knew it was because of her.  Immediately, someone crawled to the lever opening the drawbridge keeping her sealed, and right away the spell vanished, leaving us all to catch our breath.

By the time we had come back to our senses, she had killed three dwarves, and was now standing among us with a huge, proud grin on her face.  We couldn't have shoved her back into her Vault any faster than this.  This time, we did not put up a drawbridge, but a solid wall behind her.  Meanwhile, in the workshops, she'd left an artifact of the highest quality.

Samantha's mental health deteriorated as the years wore on.  A vampire was immortal.  Stuck in her little cell, she became bored out of her skull.  Her initial complaints turned to desperate pleas for help, apologies, and promises.  And then, some years later, it had all turned into a constant, pained wailing, one that chilled the bones of whoever passed by the door to the Vault.

Unfortunately, we had to send more dwarves into this despicable oblivion.  Infected werebeasts such as Poor Bastard 1, Poor Bastard 2, Fucking Werething, Mammoth Tank, Buffalo Buffalo, and Like A Bos.  Unlike Samantha, they all took their fate with quite, solemn resignation.

It was a relief to activate the pumps of Project Superbowl II.  The rumble of the pumps drowned out the wails of Samantha, and she was never heard from again.  Rumor has it that she is still in the bowels of the fortress, forced to live her immortality in a tiny cell that no one shall ever find.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 09:33:17 pm »

This was a grave mistake.  She silently killed sixteen more dwarves before we took drastic measures.
Hm. How often did she kill?

Real-time wise...I wonder if ignoring vampires when running with autolabor wouldn't be better for migrant-based forts, absorbing deaths in the style of beardbeaches.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 09:44:30 pm »

Judging by the legends, about once a season.

I'd never dealt with a vampire before, so I was initially clueless about why exactly my dwarves were dropping dead.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 11:02:09 pm »

And you get like ten migrants about once a season...Yeah, it's fine for few years at least I guess.

Not sure where skilled multi-year artisans would be placed in terms of real-time cost in a large fortress, though.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 11:03:50 pm by Fleeting Frames »

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 10:42:26 am »

So sam fisher sneaked about the fort killing people before finaly getting captured? Let's just  they never get out
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!