Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarves won't chop trees! Elven plague?!  (Read 3699 times)

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves won't chop trees! Elven plague?!
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 03:29:43 pm »

I had similar issue when I accidentally enabled "priorities" in designation menu.

Priorities messed my game so hard, I decided never to use it again.
Somehow dwarves had priority 1 labor that was not accessible - they just stood idle ignoring mining and woodcutting labors with lower priorities.

See if it is not your case.

Ylou might be onto something with this, sort of, but I'm not sure.

The dwarves follow mining orders just fine. However, I went into the Designations menu and hit Alt+p to not show priorities. Then, went to set a tree to be chopped. Show Priorities had turned itself back on by then.

Is there any way to, well, change prioritizing to possibly fix this?
No.

There was supposed to be a fix with DFHack but it is not working.
The only way I found was to reload from the savegame before using priorities.
Usually your initial embark save has them turned off.
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2016, 04:07:25 pm »

I had similar issue when I accidentally enabled "priorities" in designation menu.

Priorities messed my game so hard, I decided never to use it again.
Somehow dwarves had priority 1 labor that was not accessible - they just stood idle ignoring mining and woodcutting labors with lower priorities.

See if it is not your case.

Ylou might be onto something with this, sort of, but I'm not sure.

The dwarves follow mining orders just fine. However, I went into the Designations menu and hit Alt+p to not show priorities. Then, went to set a tree to be chopped. Show Priorities had turned itself back on by then.

Is there any way to, well, change prioritizing to possibly fix this?
No.

There was supposed to be a fix with DFHack but it is not working.
The only way I found was to reload from the savegame before using priorities.
Usually your initial embark save has them turned off.

There's no way I'm going that far back. Heh. I've done too much work already. I'll just createitem the wood from now on.

Anyone know the command to createitem nether-cap logs? And scrolls, for that matter?

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2016, 04:13:49 pm »

Are the axe-wielding woodcutters also part of the military?  Might be a civ vs military uniform conflict.  Try removing them from their squads.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2016, 04:26:14 pm »

Well, I wasn't happy when I discovered that either.
You can try previous saves and see which one has mining designation without numbers on them (I am using masterwork, so not sure how it shows in vanilla).

Basically you might have activated it at random while designating at some point.

For me it was question of few hours into the game on 1/8 speed so not that big deal - I decided on initial embark save rather than generating a whole new world.
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2016, 05:51:17 pm »

Are the axe-wielding woodcutters also part of the military?  Might be a civ vs military uniform conflict.  Try removing them from their squads.

Good idea, but there's only one axe user in my military, and he's a human mercenary.

I suspect Evans may be right, and accidentally turning on this "priority" system screwed me. I don't know why, but ... Oh well. I don't have a save close enough that I wouldn't lose a huge amount of work, so I'll just have to cheat and createitem the wood.

Like I said, anyone know the createitem commands for nether-cap logs and scrolls? ;)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2016, 05:56:17 pm »

Last ditch, savescum, then try retiring and reclaiming.

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2016, 06:38:16 pm »

How would one savescum?

That aside, the behavior seems to span beyond just my main game. I created a new game for fun to try out collapsing a necromancer's tower from underneath, and those dwarves wouldn't chop down trees, either. So, this seems to be spanning throughout my game. I worry that a complete reinstall may be the only answer, and if so, can I 1. salvage my main game 2. without just reintroducing the problem?

infrequentLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2016, 09:31:47 pm »

No guarantees but hey, can'the hurt to try, it might help reset the dorfs' ai.  Undesignate the entire map, top to bottom, every z level every tile.  Unpause the game and let time advance a bit, possibly even saving and reloading, before making new designations.  Kinda based on the thought that if dorfs are stuck tasking an inaccessible item you can mass-forbid the entire map, let time advance so they realize the item is forbidden, then unforced the stuff you know/care about.
Bugs from Normal Games: "The game stutters for six seconds before crashing."
Bugs from Broken Games: "The lighting is weird and the characters have no faces."
Bugs from Dwarf Fortress: "The horses outnumber us. I have seen settlements with a thousand horses to a man. I have seen them in the deepest caverns. They are everywhere. Liberate te ex equus."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2016, 09:37:58 pm »

How would one savescum?

That aside, the behavior seems to span beyond just my main game. I created a new game for fun to try out collapsing a necromancer's tower from underneath, and those dwarves wouldn't chop down trees, either. So, this seems to be spanning throughout my game. I worry that a complete reinstall may be the only answer, and if so, can I 1. salvage my main game 2. without just reintroducing the problem?

save the game and close DF.  copy the saves folder in the datafiles folder someplace safe.  you now made a savescum in case this goes sideways.

load the save, and draft everyone in the fortress into the military.
retire the fortress.

with any luck, this will wipe all the ai packages from your dwarves.

restart the retired fortress.

you might need to delete the dfhack config file if there is a persistent option mucking things up.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 09:39:53 pm by wierd »

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 01:15:04 am »

you might need to delete the dfhack config file if there is a persistent option mucking things up.

Given that this problem has been shown to impact more than one save game, including a new one made after it appeared, it doesn't seem worth the while to go through the process of militarizing the entire fortress/retiring/etc.

I made a copy of my save folder and placed it in Documents for now. I'd have then tried the dfhack config file, but I can't seem to find it. Any idea where it's tucked away with a Lazy Newb Pack install? Thanks!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 01:34:18 am »

dfhack.init

It contains all the keybindings, has scripts that fire on initial load, and all that stuff defined in it.

if you suspect fubared persistent settings, replace it with the clean one in the lnp zip, and see if it persists on a new world.

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2016, 02:42:05 am »

dfhack.init

It contains all the keybindings, has scripts that fire on initial load, and all that stuff defined in it.

if you suspect fubared persistent settings, replace it with the clean one in the lnp zip, and see if it persists on a new world.

I did as instructed with deleting the .init and replacing it. Started a new world, the dwarves there will chop wood. Success!

Went back to my favorite save, the dwarves there will not chop wood. Worse, the stupid priority system appears to still be active. :(

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2016, 02:44:44 am »

thats why i suggested drafting everyone, which disables all other labors while they are in active training.  then retiring the fortress, to reset the ai.

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2016, 03:01:33 am »

thats why i suggested drafting everyone, which disables all other labors while they are in active training.  then retiring the fortress, to reset the ai.

Will that have the unfortunate side-effect of deleting all of the mercenaries/poets/performers/scholars who've come to live there? Or will they stay? Some are coming up on potential permanent citizen request time.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2016, 03:04:35 am »

it might... you are welcome to wait before trying it.  Just keep buying wood I guess.
Pages: 1 [2] 3