Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarves won't chop trees! Elven plague?!  (Read 3706 times)

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves won't chop trees! Elven plague?!
« on: September 19, 2016, 04:47:59 pm »

Hi all,

So, I'm having a little ... well, big problem. My dwarves have ceased chopping down trees, above ground and below. They have axes, and when I select trees to be chopped, they are marked. The dwarves just never do anything about it.

At first, I thought it was something wrong with my main save game. However, I started a new world to try something unrelated and discovered that these dwarves also wouldn't chop down trees!

I've played around in DFhack, so I wonder if maybe I did something there. I've made sure that autochop is turned off and told it to unmark all trees (it says 0 trees unmarked). Anyone have any ideas as to what may be going on? Have the elves cursed me?!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves won't chop trees! Elven plague?!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 04:53:40 pm »

Did you install any mods?

Graphics packs count.

This sounds like a raws issue if a new world suffers too.

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 05:10:02 pm »

Nothing since I resumed playing, and they suddenly stopped chopping well into play with my current fortress.

I have not installed any mods. I started with the Lazy Newb Pack, which set up my Mayday graphics pack, and played fine for weeks. Then, they suddenly stopped chopping.

As I said, I've messed with DFhack, so maybe I did something. I'm not sure. However, I haven't installed any mods/graphic packs since first reinstalling Dwarf Fortress. Chopping worked fine for a long time, then the dwarves just suddenly stopped following orders to chop.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 05:12:25 pm by Akoto »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 06:01:16 pm »

In dfhack, first thing that springs to mind would be using autolabour woodcutting 0 or something like that.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 06:59:15 pm »

I didn't use dfhack but yesterday I encountered a similar problem(43.05), they refused to dig! No, I checked it was not set to marks only.
I fixed the problem by save and reload the game.

As for trees, I heard some version had a problem if you design a branch the dwarves can't reach, they won't move at all.To solve that, press d then x, and remove all designs from multiple levels.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 07:01:33 pm by Libash_Thunderhead »

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 11:52:31 pm »

In dfhack, first thing that springs to mind would be using autolabour woodcutting 0 or something like that.

Upon typing that command, it says that the plugin is not enabled.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 01:34:19 am »

Libash_Thunderhead's suggestion can be worth looking into. Designating trees to be cut in an inaccessible location (such as 1 level above ground) makes the cutting location unavailable. This can happen when designating a volume or on uneven terrain. For the caverns I designate the whole top level, then the whole level below that, then the next one...until I reach the lowest one. This works because a newer (and lower) designation replaces the previous one. It does noting about regrowth, of course.

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 02:33:40 am »

I actually went through every cavern Z-level all the way up to the surface and made sure each and every tree was undesignated, so they weren't scheduled to be chopped. Tried again, and ... nothin'. I'm at a loss.

Guess it's oak from DFhack from now on, since I can't figure out how to make my precious nether-cap logs (nor my precious scrolls!) through it! :]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 04:18:00 am »

In that case, autochop? Autohandles tree cutting designations.

Though honestly, there's very little possible of dfhack that can prevent tree cutting in currently not existing vanilla world. Only things I can even imagine affecting that would be messing with all base raws, which is more of a LNP's thing - and even then, shouldn't prevent this, not with any mod I know (little) of.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 04:20:04 am by Fleeting Frames »

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 07:31:00 am »

I had similar issue when I accidentally enabled "priorities" in designation menu.

Priorities messed my game so hard, I decided never to use it again.
Somehow dwarves had priority 1 labor that was not accessible - they just stood idle ignoring mining and woodcutting labors with lower priorities.

See if it is not your case.
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 02:27:35 pm »

I had similar issue when I accidentally enabled "priorities" in designation menu.

Priorities messed my game so hard, I decided never to use it again.
Somehow dwarves had priority 1 labor that was not accessible - they just stood idle ignoring mining and woodcutting labors with lower priorities.

See if it is not your case.

Ylou might be onto something with this, sort of, but I'm not sure.

The dwarves follow mining orders just fine. However, I went into the Designations menu and hit Alt+p to not show priorities. Then, went to set a tree to be chopped. Show Priorities had turned itself back on by then.

Is there any way to, well, change prioritizing to possibly fix this?

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 02:42:05 pm »

In that case, autochop? Autohandles tree cutting designations.

Though honestly, there's very little possible of dfhack that can prevent tree cutting in currently not existing vanilla world. Only things I can even imagine affecting that would be messing with all base raws, which is more of a LNP's thing - and even then, shouldn't prevent this, not with any mod I know (little) of.

I did turn autochop on once, and I think that's what designated all of the trees on my map for cutting. However, I've combed through and undesignated them. I wonder if autochop could still be interfering somehow. Hmm. :S

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 02:46:57 pm »

Are you designating the bottom-most part of the trunk? They wont go for the middle ones.

You should dust the next caravan of elves just to be sure, though.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 03:05:28 pm »

Are you designating the bottom-most part of the trunk? They wont go for the middle ones.

You should dust the next caravan of elves just to be sure, though.

Yes. I live in natural caverns, so I chop the base of nether-cap trunks or whatever (it calls them trunks). Sadly, I don't have elven neighbors, unless there's a way to rig visits from them? Just humans and a Tower. The one time you want elves around ...

I just don't get it. For almost all of this fortress' lifetime, they chopped trees no problem. Then, boom, no chopping. That's why I figure I must've messed up something in DFhack.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 03:18:05 pm »

Is autolabor on?
Pages: [1] 2 3