Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do all caravans come in fall?  (Read 668 times)

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do all caravans come in fall?
« on: September 12, 2006, 12:26:00 pm »

Will I get all the caravans (dwarven, elven, human) in the fall? Or will each arrive in a different season?

Do the elves need a road to get to my depot, too? Are there any other special requirements for them?

I will mod in plastic as a resource.  I will then tweak the Dwarven civ entry so that coins are only made out of plastic, and are called "credit cards".
I will make dwarves purchase things with bushels of credit cards.  It will be a mockery of both systems.
It will be stupid.  But it will be gloriously stupid.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do all caravans come in fall?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 12:44:00 pm »

They all come in different seasons.
Btw, i wouldnt make road to depot just yet, human caravan wagons are bugged, so that they will move so slowly, that before they arrive - it will be already time for them to leave.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 12:50:00 pm »

Elves don't seem to show up at all for a few years, then they start coming in the Spring with a couple mules (no road needed). Mostly they just bring some crappy cloth, and you can't trade any wood or leather goods to them or they'll get pissed off at you for destroying innocent animals and trees.

The humans' wagons don't always have problems, though they do take a while. Whatever you do, though, if you put your trade depot inside your fortress... make sure that the tunnel to it is wider than 3x3, especially around the entrances. The humans only need a smooth 3x3 road inside, but if you don't carve out a path alongside it your dwarves will try to squeeze out past the wagons and it will cause a HUGE traffic jam where everyone takes forever to move anywhere. One time I almost had a human caravan leave before it got there because of this. I don't know if that bug can happen for other reasons, but avoiding traffic jams is a good idea to help reduce the chance of it happening.

Doukutsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 01:28:00 pm »

quote:
... and you can't trade any wood or leather goods to them or they'll get pissed off at you for destroying innocent animals and trees.

Or shell, I made the mistake of showing them some shell crafts the first time I met them.  I n hind sight I really should have seen the hippy hissy fit coming.

Satyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 01:37:00 pm »

... or clear or crystal glass. It's a miracle they take metal goods, as you have to burn at least one initial wood for making metal bars (or even more, if you count coal as wood).

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 01:53:00 pm »

Just what would make them angry about glass, anyways? It's not like any animals go into it...

edit: Oh! Pearlash comes from trees! Nevermind, then.

What happens if you do piss off the elves? Will they stop coming or even attack you?

Also, will my wooden bins offend the elves if  I use them to transport all my kickass crafts?

[ September 12, 2006: Message edited by: PresidentEvil ]

I will mod in plastic as a resource.  I will then tweak the Dwarven civ entry so that coins are only made out of plastic, and are called "credit cards".
I will make dwarves purchase things with bushels of credit cards.  It will be a mockery of both systems.
It will be stupid.  But it will be gloriously stupid.

Satyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 02:11:00 pm »

Wooden bins are OK, as long as you don't sell the bin. And as far as I know, they just stop trading with you for this year, but will be back next year. But I never have insulted them more than once per game, so I don't know what might happen if you keep on trying to sell them their wooden friends. (BTW, obsidian swords are off-limit, too: they have a wooden hilt)

Doukutsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 02:38:00 pm »

quote:
Also, will my wooden bins offend the elves if I use them to transport all my kickass crafts?

You can put whatever you want in the depot; they don't freak out unless you actually include an objectionable item in a trade/offering.

Once I finish my fortifications I think I'll see if I can provoke a siege by offering their king a barrel of meat every year.   :p

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 08:29:00 pm »

At about year 7 or 8 I got an elf Diplomat who showed up and came to talk to one of my nobles. He gave me a warning about "not respecting the forests" or something like that. I'm not sure if this was caused by

1. the fact that I always offer them a wooden bin full of leather products after I'm done trading, just to get their stinky elven butts out of my fort

2. the fact that a goblin siege showed up 2 seconds after the elf traders appeared and killed them all (though the diplomat got away)

or 3. the fact that I cut down like 3/4 of the trees on the map and just left their trunks sitting there.

Also, I like planting livestock cages out front, right next to the trader's depot so the elves have to walk past them on their way in. They don't say a thing. Hypocrits.