Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to tell Dwarf size?  (Read 2954 times)

Spectre9000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to tell Dwarf size?
« on: September 18, 2016, 10:24:02 am »

I'm wanting to create a squad of super-dwarves, but I'm not sure how to tell if they can pass a one-handed vs two-handed check (and I've modded several two-handed weapons to get around the bug with dwarves using bigger weapons). I want dwarves that can wield two-handed weapons as one-handed so they can also have a shield, but I'm unsure how to tell what their size is in vanilla DF.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: How to tell Dwarf size?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 11:29:49 am »

The wiki is your friend.

First, 2-handed gripping happens if your creature is below the specified size in cm^3.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Weapon_token

Second, the size of the creature, and its relation to weight, is defined here:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Size

Upon further reflection, you want a way to probe a creature for its size.  One can probably modify an existing DFHACK Lua script to return that info.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 11:38:19 am by wierd »

Spectre9000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 04:51:19 pm »

I am referring to the dwarfs actual size. I know what the sizes are for weapons and even modded several two-handed weapons to be usable by dwarves with the glitch.

I don't use DFHack, and by your answer, I'm guessing there is no way to legitimately tell the size of a dwarf in fortress mode.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 05:00:44 pm »

None that I have seen.  You may be able to get a rough idea based on how DF describes the dwarf, ("Gigantic" et al.) but that will just give you a rough granularity, not an exact size.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 05:49:12 pm »

I personally use DT to tell size, but for a definite answer, just equip all the dwarves you're wondering about and station them, then look how they're holding (I guess? Never messed with 2h/1h things.)

infrequentLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 11:13:58 am »

Don't suppose there is a size you could make armor where smaller dwarves couldn't wear it, but larger ones could (or vice-versa)?  Been a few versions since I last played though, sor dunno if there is such a size that not all dorfs could wear the armor.
Bugs from Normal Games: "The game stutters for six seconds before crashing."
Bugs from Broken Games: "The lighting is weird and the characters have no faces."
Bugs from Dwarf Fortress: "The horses outnumber us. I have seen settlements with a thousand horses to a man. I have seen them in the deepest caverns. They are everywhere. Liberate te ex equus."

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 11:40:58 am »

Nah, its only checked against racial average. 45k waif and 110k bruiser can wear same armor.

Though I suppose specifying larger armor that dwarves could still wear could perhaps have the uses of mixed-people military not having to have two sizes of amor while slightly increasing the weight of it (no idea if this affects stopping power).