Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My First Tradgey  (Read 1252 times)

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My First Tradgey
« on: June 07, 2008, 09:32:00 pm »

Gooday folks,

Im preety new to Dwarf Fortress I got into it after seeing RPGenie's Dwarf Fortress breaks and ive been intermitedly playing and abanadoning fortresses.

I finally decided to go on the hard yakka of maintinaing a fort over the long period. Today is a black day in "HundredClapst" A month earlier a massive wave of immigrants arrived and I was not prepared after having a population of 14 all winter to be hit with 15 more immigrants was bad.

What was worse was as soon as a thresher arrived he was taken by a fey mood. I was more concerned with getting now waves beds and living holes and just threw up a few workshops I didnt have into a groove on my 3rd basement.

He never found what he wanted the poor devil he went mad and became enraged. Fortunatly my 4 recruits of the first military HundredClapst Brigade whom I hadnt worked out how to move where stationed in the dining room (lazy bastards).
They proceded to beat the living daylights out of the fey dwarf and I now have a red wall to commemorate the fate of the Illgotten weaver and his mood of I dont know what the heck.

Its a small tradgey but Its my first and I cant help get the feeling the dwarves are going to feel bad whenever they eat and watch the red wall of dwarf insanty.

BTW how do you move a military squad?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: My First Tradgey
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 09:45:00 pm »

Great way of getting into things.

Dwarves will rarely be bothered by blood and other filth on the walls, and your dwarves will clean it eventually.

To move squads, hit

• , use +/- to select the squad (of course you've only got one), and hit when the cursor is where you want them to move around.  Remember to let them go off duty when there's no threat or they'll get mad from standing at attention all the time.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Calessa Lynn Orphiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 09:56:00 pm »

Hit X to go to squad management, and use the 's'tation squad option.  You can also set up patrols.  The squad must be on-duty.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 10:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Calessa Lynn Orphiel:
<STRONG>Hit X to go to squad management, and use the 's'tation squad option.  You can also set up patrols.  The squad must be on-duty.</STRONG>

THANKYOU SO MUCH.  I hated pressing m, then finding the correct squad, then pressing v, then pressing zoom to commander, and finally being able to station the squad.

t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 11:32:00 pm »

I think they got your questions answered, but there are a few more things to learn about military.

use [m] to list all dwarves.  from there you can [w] and assign weapons and armor types to each dwarf (miners are always unarmed, woodcutters will have axes of course).  many players like to remove the weapons from military units not on duty so that they spar via wrestling in the barracks, gaining strength and avoiding any major sparring accidents due to swords etc.....

also at the [m] page is another command [v] squad where you can set if they hang out at their station, chase down monsters, harass wild game etc.  carefull, or they might be chasing down a bunny rabbit when something really ugly comes along and beats the ever living f*** outta your fortress.....wait, that was MY fortress...:P  tradegy

lastly, at the [m] page you can [enter] to promote a dwarf to sgt, bossman, general, useless braindead f***stick moron, target numero uno, lazy-bastard, 'frag'im in the shitter' or whatever you like to call your military commanders (can you tell i was in the army?)  hit [enter] on the leader and then enter again on those under him in his squad.  NOTE:  you can have multiple squads jumped togetehr under yet more commanders, altho in the end this is for ease of use when BAD THINGS are attacking you and you NEED ALL you guys in the fight at 1 spot quickly, make 1 big squad and station them in the middle of the s***.

but speaking of tradegy - I got sick of those annoying dark gnomes running rampant scaring my poor wittle dwarfies so I sent my troopers out to deal with them, and once my guys were good and scattered chasin' the little gnomes (god i hate gnomes, all gnomes, in any game, most useless creature to exist-not), a bronze colossus arrived and proceeded to um....well.....be a colossus I suppose, and smash most everyone else flat before my troopers could reassemble.  Once they did, they were arriving in singles and pairs and were mostly useless fodder for the great bronze behemoth!  Luckily, (or not - depends on how you play), the fortress was declared a barony immediately upon the arrival of the colossus and her most pointless majesty baroness nonamegonnadiesoon appeared with her tax collector and personal guard of hammeres, who were also no match for the VERY nearby colossus.  I am still laughing.  She flew a LOOOOOOONG way.

For Dasleah if he is reading this:  my fortress was caller Amoshats which i of course read to be "asshats", thanks!

[ June 08, 2008: Message edited by: Gorjo MacGrymm of Clan MacGrymm ]

"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 12:03:00 am »

That ain't no tragedy...tragedy is when a busload of immigrants rolls up, you have basically no military or defenses at all beyond two war dogs chained in your front hall, and three successive goblin ambushes arrive, and the only way to save your fort is to recruit everyone into the military and hope they can wrestle the attackers into submission.

It worked, but at the price of 30-ish dwarves' lives and having rotting corpses (I was unprepared for more than one death) and blood everywhere.

I guess that's actually not too bad for a first fort.

Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 12:21:00 am »

My first fort tragity was forgetting there was lava beyond a wall, and having it burn 20 odd dwarves to ciders right in my dinning hall...
Smash me and I shall rise again, but not make stupid threads that get me muted.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 02:44:00 pm »

Hmm, does "tragedy" supposed to be spelled "tradgey", "tradegy and "tragity"?    :D
Anyways, welcome to the party. Remember though that losing IS fun, just make sure it doesn't happen all the time (i'm speaking downward tantrum spirals).
Once i had a dwarf that was "used to tragedy", i don't know what happened BEFORE i even embarked but it ment i already had a feelingless emokid from the getgo, even worse, she was the leader of my dorf party and it doesn't stop there, i made her an axedwarf on the embarking screen. doh
You can almost imagine her cutting herself with that steel axe while screaming "its crawling beneath my skin" or just butchering innocent dorfs here and there in a desperate and useless attempt to feel any kind of emotions.

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: Doppel ]

Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.