Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My current project  (Read 1271 times)

Yourself86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My current project
« on: June 07, 2008, 05:55:00 am »

Just wanted to give you a little sneek peek at my current project. It's a medieval-style town and already pretty big though i'm planning on twice the current size, maybe even more.

All of it is purely decorative at the moment, because i have acommodated my dwarfs underground (the entrance is below the cathedral) and they will most likely stay there. Even so i plan the city as if i was going to have my dwarves settle in one day. There's no water in the moat at this point and i will most likely only flood it once i'm finished with everything. Oh, and i only used marble for everything.

I'd like to hear your suggestions, i know you guys can be pretty creative. Any ideas for additional buildings? I plan on more houses (of course), a nice keep with the barracks, seperated from the city in one way or another (maybe with another entrance to my underground fort) and some work quarters with storages and workshops. Maybe even some farms outside of the city gates.

RickiusMaximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My current project
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 06:57:00 am »

Looks awesome!

I believe that fortified walls show up as a different colour in 3Dwarf, you can use this effect to place 'windows' in the buildings...

quot;A Noble would have to be very fast, very tough, have the ability to breath water, survive a fall from about 30 stories, have asbestos skin, innards made of titanium... then, and only then, would he dare to demand Adamantine items"

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 07:41:00 am »

for additional buildings you could add a graveyard a market place or a nice tower for the mayor of the town and the most important should be an inn (not sure you have it already or not ...)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 07:54:00 am »

You deffiantly should make them live it it. You should have all of your dwarves living in the town.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 08:15:00 am »

Looks fantastic!  :)

Hmm, how about ...
wind-powered mill, or water-driven mill
market hall (shops)
cafe (bakery with dining room)
restaurant (kitchen, dining room)
pub (brewer, meeting hall)
... :-)

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 08:21:00 am »

Looks really neat!   :D

Here's what comes to my mind for add-ons:

* mosaics of multicolored stone
* gem windows in the cathedral to simulate stained glass
* gardens, with the trees and plants protected from trampling by designating their grids as restricted traffic zones (use the mouse for this) and perhaps also with walkways and benches.
* a fountain or other liquid thingamajig

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 10:17:00 am »

Holy cow.  What do your fingers feel like?

I'm not sure if that is a prefect example of why the construction interface should be overhauled, or a perfect example of why it's just fine.

In addition to lots of windows, build some Elizibethan manors in those empty plots.  Maybe some outlying farm houses.  Oh, and a fortified gatehouse.

Man that's awesome.  My suburb is so inadequate.

Say, can you upload it to the map viewer?

[ June 07, 2008: Message edited by: Aqizzar ]

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Elitay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 11:17:00 am »

It needs a death trap.

Yourself86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 11:55:00 am »

Glad you guys like it so far  :)

quote:
Originally posted by Samyotix:
<STRONG>Looks fantastic!   :)

Hmm, how about ...
wind-powered mill, or water-driven mill
market hall (shops)
cafe (bakery with dining room)
restaurant (kitchen, dining room)
pub (brewer, meeting hall)
... :-)</STRONG>

A mill sounds interesting though i haven't experimented much with these things. Also i'm not sure if it would show up on the 3d map.
Cafe, bakery, restaurant... definetly interesting ideas. I will give it a thought.

quote:
Originally posted by Fedor:
<STRONG>Looks really neat!    :D

Here's what comes to my mind for add-ons:

* mosaics of multicolored stone
* gem windows in the cathedral to simulate stained glass
* gardens, with the trees and plants protected from trampling by designating their grids as restricted traffic zones (use the mouse for this) and perhaps also with walkways and benches.
* a fountain or other liquid thingamajig</STRONG>

I don't think that a mosaic would show up but maybe i'll make an excercise square in front of my keep which i can decorate then. Will gem windows show up? I was not sure so i didn't make any windows so far. If they show up, well, sounds like some new scaffolding-jobs for my dwarves. Oh, and i will give that fountain idea a thought.

I already got some gardens, mainly the space around the cathedral and the parcels for the nobles, but i'm planning for a bigger community garden. I even made some ponds for the nobles houses i already finished.

quote:
Originally posted by Aqizzar:
<STRONG>Holy cow.  What do your fingers feel like?

I'm not sure if that is a prefect example of why the construction interface should be overhauled, or a perfect example of why it's just fine.

In addition to lots of windows, build some Elizibethan manors in those empty plots.  Maybe some outlying farm houses.  Oh, and a fortified gatehouse.

Man that's awesome.  My suburb is so inadequate.

Say, can you upload it to the map viewer?
</STRONG>

It's quite arduous from time to time, especially when designating rows of thirty or more walls/floors. It would be nice if you could designate them like say a bridge so you don't have to place every single one.

The plots are already reserved for more houses for my nobles but i turned on the city wall for the time being to get a feeling for how it will look like. All the nobles houses will have a unique look so it will take some time to finish them.

I haven't looked into the map viewer yet but i will give it a try, though this will not happen before monday.

The Chemist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 11:59:00 am »

Everything needs a deathtrap.

Yourself86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Elitay:
<STRONG>It needs a death trap.</STRONG>

quote:
Originally posted by The Chemist:
<STRONG>Everything needs a deathtrap.</STRONG>

Sooner or late i may even include a deathtrap. For the time being i disabled invasions though.

Daniel Charms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 12:49:00 am »

Looks like Oxford. Nice.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 01:33:00 am »

quote:
The idea of a graveyard came to me before, but i'm not sure how to show gravestones.

I would say build mausoleums, but that would require a lot of space...maybe just have a couple for the more important dwarves, then set up a few rows of statues over some catacombs to simulate headstones for everyone else?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 08:42:00 am »

Sheriff's building/gaol with, centred in the square, a wooden platform supporting stocks (chains, cages) for public humiliation. If there's HFS, you can get the cages of gibbering loonies for that extra authenticity.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

The_Skullcrusher

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 04:54:00 pm »

You might be able to make a graveyard by digging out a 1x1 pit and either building a coffin at the bottom or just dumping the remains in it and capping it off with statues

Statues don't really show up on 3Dwarf, do they?

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools      -Douglas Adams

This sums up my experience with Dwarf Fortress
Pages: [1] 2