Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Efficient Garbage Disposal?  (Read 5233 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Efficient Garbage Disposal?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 05:52:59 pm »

A unicorn is not sapient, and thus would not be hauled to a corpse stockpile: it belongs to a refuse stockpile. A cave crawler is a vermin that likewise belongs to a refuse stockpile. In addition, hauling of vermin remains needs to be enabled in the options->refuse screen.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 06:01:04 pm »

i'd bet that the corpses have forbidden flag on, from being dumped.

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2016, 06:13:57 pm »

this looks like it is in the caverns though, with those colors. how a unicorn got down there i dont even, but would explain the cave crawler.

I altered the files so that I could have war unicorns. :)

Is there any way to construct a room so that I can put garbage and corpses in, and have the floor open so it drops all the junk and corpses down into a pit/lava/whatever?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 06:14:38 pm »

Custom stockpile?

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 07:57:05 pm »

For the curious ...

I did the o -> r -> o suggestion, switched the corpses to claim, and made a new refuse pile. Somewhere between the three, it got those darn miasma-creating corpses moved out of the way. :)

Next up ... Creating a garbage disposal! It's a good idea for corpses anyway, given that I live next to a necromancer and they've invaded once already.

If I just want to put them in a room and drop them down a pit into lava, or just to seal them off ... Well, would I do that by making a bridge which drops down instead of retracting upward and set that as a refuse pile? Or some other method? I guess I do prefer the less cheat-y route than the atom smasher, though I'll go that route if I have to.

Thanks for the help, all. :)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 08:19:47 pm »

1) create a multi z level shaft over an open magma tube. (Needs to be several z above the magma to avoid splashing magma mist.

2) put a RETRACTING bridge over the void of the shaft at the top.

3) Put your custom stockpile on top of the extended bridge.

4) prevent dwarves or animals from idling on the bridge! Molten lava facials are unpleasant.

5) pull the lever for great justice.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 11:51:42 pm »

That plan would work great, expect for the fact that both bridges and stockpiles count as buildings - you cannot have them share same tile.

Which is why you see all the messing about with dump holes and minecarts on last page, whether into atomsmasher or into magma (ends up being the same for most magma-unsafe things, really)

However, you can put a refuse pile over stairs, and downstairs (or up/down) act as holes for water/magma to fall on the level below.
Thus, there's a variety of options for putting magma in your refuse pile and then safely removing it with no lingering 1/7 magma remaining.

(They mostly boil down to inject magma from below, side or above, then drain/atomsmash/pump right below/above. Safety procedures optional.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:56:27 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2016, 12:09:55 am »

Next up ... Creating a garbage disposal! It's a good idea for corpses anyway, given that I live next to a necromancer and they've invaded once already.

If I just want to put them in a room and drop them down a pit into lava, or just to seal them off ... Well, would I do that by making a bridge which drops down instead of retracting upward and set that as a refuse pile? Or some other method? I guess I do prefer the less cheat-y route than the atom smasher, though I'll go that route if I have to.

You cannot place a stockpile on a bridge. You can either a.) change your standing orders to automatically dump refuse and place a "dump" activity zone next to the hole, or b.) use a stockpile linked to a dumping minecart to automatically dump the refuse into the hole.

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2016, 01:06:35 pm »

This comes a bit late, but just wanted to let everyone know that your help paid off. Following your collective instructions, I now have a minecart shuttling my miasma-threatening garbage off into a shaft of lava. My underground ecosystem is clean and smelling like a fresh cavern once more. :D

I don't know what I did lately, but I've had a massive influx of bards and mercenaries, many of whom petitioned to stay. I even built a bigger, nicer inn/tavern on the next level down to accommodate the flood, since I'm expanding the fortress beyond its tiny roots in one corner of the natural caves anyway. Got a mayor, too. I was surprised to not get a noble at my last liaison visit, considering I had more than enough wealth and citizens, but who knows.

Now, I need to think of a new project! :]

Thanks for all of the help!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 01:11:37 pm by Akoto »

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2016, 05:57:06 pm »

Dig a hole down to the magma sea, designate a garbage dump, and dump things into the depths.

For efficiency, set up your corpse heap in a sealed room alongside to minimize hauling distance.

It's tedious, but like doing it and there's something dwarfy about it, I think.

[and I realize that this has been asked and answered. oops. :-[ ]
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 07:01:08 pm by mirrizin »

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2016, 12:25:25 pm »

My varient:

Dig a vertical shaft from the surface to the workshop / materials store / equipment stockpiles.  (Optionally, dig a vertical staircase adjacent, for ease of construction and so you can also use it as an access route).

At the bottom level, build an atom smasher bridge that covers the bottom of the shaft, as previously described. 

Put a door in the access tunnle to the bottom of the shaft, to prevent access when smashing.

(Safety tip: if also you included the vertical staircase, make sure the stairs are between the door and the smasher, rather than the smasher being between the door and the stairs, to reduce the risk of dwarves walking through the smasher when taking shortcuts).

Designate a dump zone at the top of the shaft.

Optional: build a retractable bridge over the top of the shaft (and stairs), so you can close it off to prevent hostile access.

This way, you can throw all battle debris etc down to the workshops, unforbid anything you want to keep, and then when its been hauled away, smash the remainders.  Because it was open to the sky, you won't get any miasma from any corpses or rottable items that get thrown down.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2016, 07:01:16 am »

I try to run a minimum garbage fortress.

Butcher everything, carve up the bones and spin the hair. Hack the sentients to pieces, reanimate them and hack them up too, rot them and carve them.

Nothing but nervous tissue and cartilege. I have a high vermin pit. They all float down there.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"
Pages: 1 [2]