Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31

Author Topic: Rogue Trader (something grimdark): Character Creation/OOC  (Read 41408 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader (something grimdark): Character Creation/OOC
« Reply #315 on: September 20, 2016, 02:27:28 pm »

If I tried to make an Ork to go on the reserve list would people be able to offer help and advice? Maybe one with a flamer.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 20, 2016, 02:46:29 pm »

I see. And do weapon mods fall under the @one item@ or do we have to buy them later?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 20, 2016, 02:49:05 pm »

Since I'll be tossed into the reserve group I'll take my sweet time to make a sheet. At least there's no pressure that way (sorry Tiruin).

On the matter of the artificer armor: I do find it's strange they made it ER when power armor is the same (NU could be more sensible), but it's not game-breaking as some people might think it to be. It's more like they decided to make a new, usable power armor instead of adding a more reasonable power source to the original, since said source makes the latter rather impractical.

As with any non-light power armor, you're a bigger target, with a +10 to be hit, and you're likely to receive more bullets because of that. Righteous Fury is a wake-up slap that reminds you that not taking hits is better than trying to tank them in the w40k RPGs, and full-auto weapons with high RoF are likely to trigger at least one per burst (you're safe if the GM rules mooks don't trigger RFs, but most don't do that). Likewise, any Basic weapon with Accurate is a danger; any enemy with a humble long-las is a deadly threat.

Of course, it's spiffy and really resilient (doubling as a void suit is really good, too), but my paranoia about haywire effects (and its effects on power armor) nudges me towards the pressure carapace.

@lawas: I've never created an ork, but I'm used to the system and I believe I could provide assistance.

@Dorsidwarf: You can add mods to a weapon using the rules at pg.271, "Combining Acquisitions". TL;DR: the base for the acquisition is the rarest availability between weapon/armor and mods, then a further -5 penalty for each mod.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 20, 2016, 03:27:11 pm »

Since I'll be tossed into the reserve group I'll take my sweet time to make a sheet. At least there's no pressure that way (sorry Tiruin).

On the matter of the artificer armor: I do find it's strange they made it ER when power armor is the same (NU could be more sensible), but it's not game-breaking as some people might think it to be. It's more like they decided to make a new, usable power armor instead of adding a more reasonable power source to the original, since said source makes the latter rather impractical.

As with any non-light power armor, you're a bigger target, with a +10 to be hit, and you're likely to receive more bullets because of that. Righteous Fury is a wake-up slap that reminds you that not taking hits is better than trying to tank them in the w40k RPGs, and full-auto weapons with high RoF are likely to trigger at least one per burst (you're safe if the GM rules mooks don't trigger RFs, but most don't do that). Likewise, any Basic weapon with Accurate is a danger; any enemy with a humble long-las is a deadly threat.

Of course, it's spiffy and really resilient (doubling as a void suit is really good, too), but my paranoia about haywire effects (and its effects on power armor) nudges me towards the pressure carapace.

@lawas: I've never created an ork, but I'm used to the system and I believe I could provide assistance.

@Dorsidwarf: You can add mods to a weapon using the rules at pg.271, "Combining Acquisitions". TL;DR: the base for the acquisition is the rarest availability between weapon/armor and mods, then a further -5 penalty for each mod.

Eh, RF isn't *that* strong, even if you give it to mooks. It has a 1/10 chance of activating, but then you have to reroll the hit, and if that succeeds with errata its only 1d10 extra damage. That is to say it makes a 1d10 gun into a 2d10 gun, possibly more if you are *really* lucky, but it isn't enough to be a major threat. That isn't to say you couldn't spray Mr.Power Armor to death with automatic weapons, it just isn't a reliable strategy. Aim is a bit better (since they would get a +20 hit), but they still have to get at least two degrees of success just to do 2d10+3, or four degrees of success to do 3d10+3. So pretty much any mook isn't going to have too high a chance to do much damage.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 20, 2016, 03:34:13 pm »

Ah, thanks Cal. I think I'll stick with base then, since the extra 10% to BS when firing automatic is less useful than Best-craftmanship.

Anyway, here's my character sheet! Warn me if I've fucked anything up or left anything out!

RX-B8BL-34(Babel) the 'Explorator'
B8BL was a Skitarius assigned with his Magos to the pilgrim-vessel Impenetrable Shield of the Divine Emperor when the warp-drives failed during a transit. The ship wandering aimlessly through the Empyrean with a weak Gellar field resulted in first a mutiny by the Pilgrims against the crew of the ship (In the name of the Emperor) of course, then a slow, brutal descent into madness and brutal tribalism over the months as supplies ran low and body-counts ran high. Eventually, B8BL was the last of the skitarii left alive, the Magos long-since slain by crazed fanatics of a god he never truly understood as a devotee of the Omnissiah. As he stalked the halls, desperately following the Magos' last patrol pattern over and over, week after week after week, something in the neatly-arranged cogs of B8BL's half-electrical brain slipped into a different gear, and the precise brainwashing of the Legio Titanicus began to erode. In any normal skitarius, this would of course result in a full retrofit of faulty components, but on the Shield, the faulty cyborg was alone. No other entities to warn him that he was exceeding proper mental parameters. As he stalked the corridors of a dead ship, nothing but half-feral scavengers daring to come close to his ever-predictable route, he began to query why the ship's tech-priests had not repaired the drive. He began to question whether they were worthy to do so in the Omnissiah's name, and if not, whether he was. By the fourth month, the Gellar field generators were flickering, the few surviving ship's engineers fighting for survival against screaming fanatics, and B8BL was low on rations and questioning the remit of the entire Adeptus Mechanicus.
By the time the warp-disengagement siren was howling around the dead and empty corridors of a ship, the ship gutted in search of spare parts by the non-mechanicus engineers who had hidden when the mutiny occured , B8BL's mind was made up. Taking up the mantle of the dead Magos, disregarding his orders, and fleeing onto a salvage vessel, he began a personal journey to the -xxx- sector, seeking not only revenge on what he had logically concluded was an evil and corrupt organisation for brainwashing him, but also proof that they were unworthy of tending to the extensions of the Machine Spirit's benevolence at all.
Spoiler: Path (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: traits (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Talents (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Implants (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gear (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: companions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: EXP (click to show/hide)

[/spoiler]
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 20, 2016, 03:53:43 pm »

Okay so here is what needs to be done so far:

Gilgamehdestroyer as Sierra-Beta the Explorator

Choose a skill for your servo skull and a tool based on page 375 (just the basic options)

My Name Is Immaterial as Sarvus the Seneschal

You also get a synskin for added sneakiness.  Your calculance array also gets the reliable quality, which means it will never betray you, unlike those other crafty machines.  Your family is also a lesser branch of the Glory Expansion Corporation, currently headed by "Duke" Martus Gathus Solar, one of your distant relatives.  See Strik's description for the corporation, your family is only loosely associated.

Criptfeind as Nathin the Astropath Transcendent

Pick your forbidden lore and were you going for the alternate career path?  Either way I am fine I just want to be sure.

Ghazkull Kordag Blightfang the Kroot

You will be at -20 to your pulse rifle attacks until you pick up the training, but it is a valid starting item.  Your skills are not selected, you should get some by default, unless I am referencing the wrong sheet.

Aseaheru as Herenton the VOIDMASTER

I am going to rule because forbidden lore xeno is untrained, you need to make a test before getting the +20 bonus to repairing xeno tech. 

As for backstory, how does it sound that you were picked up by the former Rogue Trader in the Aurorus expanse (after your ship was destroyed) and brought back to the Calxis sector for a few years before now returning?  Also what was the Spirit of Retribution doing when it was destroyed?

Your Shark assault craft is literally the only combat small voidship around, so enjoy having everyone hitch a ride.

Strik as Holt Kennoch the Rogue Trader

Your rivals are House Pak-Hal, an influential merchant dynasty in the Calixis sector.  Most of thier wealth is in varrious contracts and facilities, but they maintain a warrant of trade and the heir to the dynasty is known to be flying the Dauntless class "The Heathen Burns in His Glory" exact locations are unknown.

Your allies are the Glory Expansion Corporation, a trading house which maintains and builds temples, cathedrals and humanitarian facilities (like sewage systems and hydroponics farms).  They are an ancient but low key sect that has many different noble families among them.  While they have a history of engaging in crusades it has not happened in sometime.

Kassire as Bron the Dirty Mutant (Archmilitant)

You have way too much starting equipment, the armor is your free one but I do not see why you have these:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And some of your other gear, please start from scratch and check what you are given.  Also you need to choose your weapon mastery.

You can PM me your vile deformity if you wish, it should be hideous.  I assume you keep it hidden most of the time to avoid random crew members rushing to attack you.

Tiruin as Amara the Navigator

The lost world thing can be detailed now or a little later. 

You have spent extensive time in the expanse on another ship including the lost world incident.

Yes, you get lidless stare and one more power, so it is working correctly.

Twinwolf as Anarette the Archmilitant

You need a starting primitive monoblade melee weapon, and despite your disdain for melee weapons you are good with them (rolled 41-5=36).

You also need to choose a weapon mastery.

Commissars are normally trained from birth for the role, we can say that you were retrained and commissioned as one due to high casualties in an emergency situation.  This would explain why you are no longer in the IG, your commission was revoked as it was temporary.

rolled 5 +1 + 6 TB = 10 starting wounds.

2 fate points, 2 insanity points.

Need a name for the ship at least.

If you have a skill as basic that you normally do not, I will be much more lenient about alternate advances with it.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 20, 2016, 05:24:20 pm »

I guess the servo-skull can have an auspex and +20 to tech-use.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 20, 2016, 05:26:54 pm »

Criptfeind as Nathin the Astropath Transcendent

Pick your forbidden lore and were you going for the alternate career path?  Either way I am fine I just want to be sure.

If you mean the forbidden lore from my dark voyage I went with demonology since we got a navigator that already has warp and it was sorta between those two for me.

As for the alternate career, it's probably a crappy choice but I decided instead of going initiate and developing my powers I'd instead just pick up a monosword and hit things in melee (mostly because if I can eventually find some in some far flung future, a force sword would be hilarious.)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 20, 2016, 05:32:45 pm »

Twinwolf as Anarette the Archmilitant

You need a starting primitive monoblade melee weapon, and despite your disdain for melee weapons you are good with them (rolled 41-5=36).

You also need to choose a weapon mastery.

Commissars are normally trained from birth for the role, we can say that you were retrained and commissioned as one due to high casualties in an emergency situation.  This would explain why you are no longer in the IG, your commission was revoked as it was temporary.

rolled 5 +1 + 6 TB = 10 starting wounds.

2 fate points, 2 insanity points.
Alright. Will pick one soon-ish.

Do you mean the one from the Hand of War thing or something else? If the latter, could you clarify?

Alright. Sorry for getting that assumption wrong, I'm not the greatest at 40k lore.

Filled in those values. I will be choosing an Ambition soon-ish.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 20, 2016, 05:39:52 pm »

Weapon Mastery as in the choice for your Weapon Master special ability (pg. 72). Choose one of Melee, Pistol, Basic, Thrown or Heavy and you gain a permanent +10 to-hit bonus and +2 damage to the category's weapons, plus a +2 initiative when wielding it (it does apply right away if you draw it first thing).

Yeah, Commissars are usually trained from birth, cherry-picked from Schola Progena along potential Stormtroopers. Navy Commissars are also a thing.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 05:41:39 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 20, 2016, 05:40:54 pm »

IC thread is up, I only put in 3 of the started characters so far but consider all of them to be in the room where the game is being played.  This is just an opening chance to talk a bit.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=160701.0

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 20, 2016, 05:42:47 pm »

The Spirit of Retribution among the God Emperors Stars and her two frigates where probably just on long-duration patrol, making sure the light of the God Emperor was seen in some of the less traveled parts of the region.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 20, 2016, 05:43:14 pm »

Okay that is odd i have them selected on my sheet i dont understand why it doesnt recognize that though :I

EDIT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vo3cb1yx6z9dogc/Kordag.pdf?dl=0 try this link
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 05:44:59 pm by Ghazkull »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 20, 2016, 06:27:00 pm »

Sheet should be done if you have the time to look over it, VoidSlayer.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 20, 2016, 06:37:34 pm »

I took some liberties with your characters in the opening, feel free to change whatever you want.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31