Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31

Author Topic: Rogue Trader (something grimdark): Character Creation/OOC  (Read 41479 times)

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader (something grimdark): Character Creation/OOC
« Reply #165 on: September 17, 2016, 02:20:54 pm »

Spoiler: Bron (click to show/hide)

Yes and no. Yes in that you did all your math correctly, no in the Errata jumps the Power Armor's rarity up a notch. You would be able to get Common Quality Power armor though. Even then it isn't -that- great, the power pack makes it fairly crippling. Other books have power armor with better battery life that you might technically be able to purchase if you want.
Judging by  the response Artificer Armour seems like a good choice.
Artificer Armor then, I guess?

EDIT: Oh god Artificer Armor's description does imply it's the most badass thing ever.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 04:46:40 pm by Kassire »
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 17, 2016, 02:34:44 pm »

I would request that the GM bumps Artificer Armor up to *at least* near unique. It basically makes you immune to small arms fire, and it should be more rare than standard power armor.

Spoiler: Bron (click to show/hide)
Yes and no. Yes in that you did all your math correctly, no in the Errata jumps the Power Armor's rarity up a notch. You would be able to get Common Quality Power armor though. Even then it isn't -that- great, the power pack makes it fairly crippling. Other books have power armor with better battery life that you might technically be able to purchase if you want.
Artificer Armor then, I guess?

EDIT: Oh god Artificer Armor's description does imply it's the most badass thing ever.

Help! The cheese is multiplying  :'(.

Really though. With 4TB and 10 armor, you have 14 defense. Autoguns deal a max of 13, so do lasguns, not to even mention the pistols. Anything without a lot of pierce isn't gonna hurt you a lot, compared to the 5~ armor you *should* have.

((Still not as OP as the guncutter though :P))
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 17, 2016, 02:52:30 pm »

I guess that confirms it's the right choice when another player starts asking that you're not allowed it.  :P

Anyway, if we wanta try to do some like artifical flatting of combat powers across the players I'm not necessarily against it. Although I don't think that his theoretical 14 damage resistance is that much further away from your 9 then your 9 is from like, the Seneschal only-partially-covering 5.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 17, 2016, 03:02:09 pm »

Im still trying to figure out what to get for my dude. Currently I'm thinking either a bolt carbine, one of the new voidsuits(the footfallen or the pressure carapace), the AKU-like thing or a ship to use, but I'm still debating.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 17, 2016, 03:03:49 pm »

After some further reflection I'm coming around to the idea of a guncutter tbh.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 17, 2016, 03:11:41 pm »

I guess that confirms it's the right choice when another player starts asking that you're not allowed it.  :P

Anyway, if we wanta try to do some like artifical flatting of combat powers across the players I'm not necessarily against it. Although I don't think that his theoretical 14 damage resistance is that much further away from your 9 then your 9 is from like, the Seneschal only-partially-covering 5.

It isn't "artificial flatting", its "game balance". On its own, the armor is fine, but it isn't something that two characters should have at chargen -_-. 5 and 9 is fairly far apart, but both are in a reasonable area. The Senchel is, explicitly, not combat-based and would lose to my more combat oriented RT. And it really, really is. A difference of 5 is very powerful when a system is using d10s.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 17, 2016, 03:37:04 pm »

The warhammer rpgs tend to have a much greater difference between combat-focused and non-focused characters. Armour is good, but it's not the be-all end-all. Power armour does have the charge limit, and it's hardly subtle, so it might not always be the most suitable.

If I get a lascannon (acquisition and talent from Hand of War) it does 5d10+10 damage with 10 armour piercing. With the Bulging Biceps trait I got through blackbone implant I can fire it without bracing. Your armour would not protect you. Of course, we probably won't run into too many lascannons.

Any character can be killed pretty quickly if they don't use tactics. A common frag grenade does 2d10. A krak does 2d10+4 with 6 armour pen. Bolters, meltas, flame and plasma, all can hurt.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 17, 2016, 04:14:26 pm »

When using melee weapons, do we add our strength bonus for damage or...?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 04:16:15 pm by Kassire »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 17, 2016, 04:17:21 pm »

Yes.
With throwing weapons, as well.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 17, 2016, 04:18:07 pm »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 17, 2016, 04:20:57 pm »

The warhammer rpgs tend to have a much greater difference between combat-focused and non-focused characters. Armour is good, but it's not the be-all end-all. Power armour does have the charge limit, and it's hardly subtle, so it might not always be the most suitable.

If I get a lascannon (acquisition and talent from Hand of War) it does 5d10+10 damage with 10 armour piercing. With the Bulging Biceps trait I got through blackbone implant I can fire it without bracing. Your armour would not protect you. Of course, we probably won't run into too many lascannons.

Any character can be killed pretty quickly if they don't use tactics. A common frag grenade does 2d10. A krak does 2d10+4 with 6 armour pen. Bolters, meltas, flame and plasma, all can hurt.

The Artificer power armor they want has a 24-hour power pack, making it actually practical to use. It certainly isn't subtle, but then it again it hardly *needs* to be. I am well aware that heavy weapons can actually hurt it, and as you said, that would mean the enemies all have to have heavy weapons for it to be under legitimate threat. A 2d10 weapon has an average damage value of 11, with only a 21% chance of dealing *any* damage-if they are hit by it without any cover and the enemies manage to use it without blowing themselves up. 2d10+4 is a bit better, actually being able to reliably damage the enemy, but again that would mean our opponents would have to be outfitted with AT grenades to prove a valid threat, and even then it would deal more damage to everyone who isn't outfitted in the most OP armor in the game. And all those weapons come with some drawbacks, you can blow yourself up with a grenade, they have enough agility to make getting set on fire not terribly likely in they do get hit, plasma is also likely to blow them up on them, bolters probably aren't going to be too common, and meltas have not much range and like three shots per clip.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 04:37:57 pm by Stirk »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2016, 04:49:29 pm »

It isn't "artificial flatting", its "game balance".

I think it's both actually!

5 and 9 is fairly far apart, but both are in a reasonable area.

I think my question is reasonable for what? It shifts the scale of reasonable combat dramatically in the same way the artificer armour does. A minor scratch on you is a deadly wound to the Senchel in the same way that a minor scratch though artificer armor is a deadly wound on you. Where is the line drawn? If it's drawn in a place that happens to be "So Striks character isn't super threatened in combat but at the same time isn't completely overshadowed defense wise by other options and also the Senchel will die to a single headshot" I think that's fine, just that it's worth examining why we're drawing the line there, and why we're drawing the line in the first place.

I'm saying here that if the point of this is to bring the party into balance, it doesn't really achieve it... What's the goal we're trying to achieve? If it's so a bunch of characters wearing carapace armor will take chip damage in fights and our light armored characters will get fucked and no one is immune to the medium damage weapons then okay. Remove the artificer armor and probably also the normal power armor. If it's to achieve balance in combat.... Well. Sorry.

The Senchel is, explicitly, not combat-based

Okay.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 04:52:40 pm by Criptfeind »

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 17, 2016, 05:00:12 pm »

Whilst everyone gets destroyed by mind-altering demons, chaos in general, psykers, the warp, and space krakens

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2016, 05:14:30 pm »

It isn't "artificial flatting", its "game balance".

I think it's both actually!

5 and 9 is fairly far apart, but both are in a reasonable area.

I think my question is reasonable for what? It shifts the scale of reasonable combat dramatically in the same way the artificer armour does. A minor scratch on you is a deadly wound to the Senchel in the same way that a minor scratch though artificer armor is a deadly wound on you. Where is the line drawn? If it's drawn in a place that happens to be "So Striks character isn't super threatened in combat but at the same time isn't completely overshadowed defense wise by other options and also the Senchel will die to a single headshot" I think that's fine, just that it's worth examining why we're drawing the line there, and why we're drawing the line in the first place.

I'm saying here that if the point of this is to bring the party into balance, it doesn't really achieve it... What's the goal we're trying to achieve? If it's so a bunch of characters wearing carapace armor will take chip damage in fights and our light armored characters will get fucked and no one is immune to the medium damage weapons then okay. Remove the artificer armor and probably also the normal power armor.

The Senchel is, explicitly, not combat-based

Okay.

The difference is my character isn't immune/near immune to the good portion of the weapons on the page. A normal pistol like we would expect to go up against is dangerous to both the senchel and the RT, do different extents. It is completely harmless to the character in power armor. That is to say, 5 and 9 are in the same threat range. The same weapons are a good deal more deadly against the senchel then against the RT, but they are in the same tier. 9 and 14 are in a completely different range, in that now you have to break heavy weapons or something with a lot of pierce to take down what is basically a walking tank, while normal weapons won't particularly scratch it.

Lets take a look at the sample enemies down at the bottom. Lets say we are fighting a group of Renegades that somehow have excellent aim. Three pull out an autogun and blast three hits at each of us. The autogun does 1d10+4 damage (a bit higher than what we got, for some reason :P). With 5 armor, that is a 10% chance of not getting damaged each time, with whatever damage he does take getting reduced by five. Getting hit by three rounds of automatic fire will be very devastating. The 9 is much more powerful, with a 50% chance of not getting hit each round. He is likely to make it out with some damage, though there is a fair chance of him not getting damaged at all. There is a 100% chance for Mr. Power Armor to block it.

Now lets try an example that can actually hurt the guy in power armor. Lets say instead everyone gets hit by a burst of 1d10+7 pen 6 from a plasma rifle. Senchel quickly becomes a bloody pulp, the pen easily piercing his armor and dealing a minimum of 8 damages after that. Likewise, the RT will always take significant damage, with the minimum being 5. Not even the power armor saves him from the blast....except 10% of the time, when it totally does.

See what I am talking about? The guy in Power Armor treats plasma guns the same way the senchel treats autoguns. The RT is in slightly better shape, but not to the point of being overpowered.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2016, 05:28:58 pm »

See what I am talking about?

No, not really. Light armor gets destroyed by auto guns, medium armor gets hurts, heavy armor is immune. Take it a step up and now medium armor gets destroyed and heavy armor gets hurt. A further step and everyone is destroyed. You could even take it a step down if you wished, so that light armor gets hurt and medium and heavy armor are immune.

This really seems to align with my whole point quite well that there's not a natural balance point to armor and that not having heavy armor doesn't actually solve a party balance issue because we've still got medium and light?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31