Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31

Author Topic: Rogue Trader (something grimdark): Character Creation/OOC  (Read 41446 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader (something grimdark): Character Creation/OOC
« Reply #150 on: September 17, 2016, 12:24:02 pm »

Can the GM please create a ship for us?

Out of experience if you let the players choose its gonna take ages as everyone wants something different when the ship in the end usually doesnt play such a big role.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 17, 2016, 12:25:28 pm »

So, since I'm new at Rogue Trader, any recommendations for how to build an Arch-Militiant?

Not really.  I guess you could decide whether to focus on shooty or stabby.
I think we've got plenty of shooty, less so of stabby.

Tiruin said she'd post it, but it seems not. Ah well.
Her sheet is progressing.

She's building a navigator using long-ranged weapons.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 17, 2016, 12:50:51 pm »

It looks to be that I'm making a tank stabbing Death World Arch-militant. I also happened to get the Vile Deformity mutation when I rolled on the mutation table, so what could possibly go wrong?
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 17, 2016, 01:13:18 pm »

hmmm vile deformity...tasty

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 17, 2016, 01:16:56 pm »

hmmm vile deformity...tasty
Chew upon my chainsword, craven

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 17, 2016, 01:18:23 pm »

Anyway, with a last minute switcharoo in priority (of hilarity over probably good) I've moved some stats into melee weapon usage and picked up a suit of power armor (from the faith and coin book, it's basically a rarer more expensive suit of armor then the ones in the core book) with my free acquisition in the hopes of some day being able to acquire and use a force sword instead of going initiate. I've also considered dropping of bit of intelligence (and maybe agility?) for more melee stats, but I'm not sure.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 17, 2016, 01:24:08 pm »

Arch-militant.

ffffff

So
Either Missionary or a Shooty arch-militiant instead of a stabby one for me, then.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 17, 2016, 01:34:15 pm »

So, since I'm new at Rogue Trader, any recommendations for how to build an Arch-Militiant?

Basically you are a fighty thing. High BS (or WS/Strength) + decent agility (to dodge) and toughness (to not die) with a good weapon to stab/shoot things with. I kinda forgot someone else was planning on building one though :P.

Can the GM please create a ship for us?

Out of experience if you let the players choose its gonna take ages as everyone wants something different when the ship in the end usually doesnt play such a big role.

Wars have been fought over this. We must make our own destiny here.

Anyway, with a last minute switcharoo in priority (of hilarity over probably good) I've moved some stats into melee weapon usage and picked up a suit of power armor (from the faith and coin book, it's basically a rarer more expensive suit of armor then the ones in the core book) with my free acquisition in the hopes of some day being able to acquire and use a force sword instead of going initiate. I've also considered dropping of bit of intelligence (and maybe agility?) for more melee stats, but I'm not sure.

....Hahaha, going straight for the most powerful armor I see :P. The rarities in that book are incredibly messed up, the Artificer armor should be *a lot* more rare than normal power armor, when the rarity given is exactly the same with errata. I can't believe you are actually allowed one of those from the start -_-.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 17, 2016, 01:38:59 pm »

Not a huge issue if we just focus on different combat styles, I don't think. I would assume a shooty Arch-Militiant is different than a stabby one.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 17, 2016, 01:40:25 pm »

I can't believe you are actually allowed one of those from the start -_-.

Why a combat focused game gives so many resources that trivialize and or seriously unbalance combat when you'd think that it, being the focus of the game, would be more fine tuned is I suppose just one of those mysteries of life that we'll never have any idea about why it's like that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 17, 2016, 01:41:03 pm »

So uh, how the hell does equipment and it's acquisition work? I did everything else except this whole equipment thing

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 17, 2016, 01:45:03 pm »

Why a combat focused game gives so many resources that trivialize and or seriously unbalance combat when you'd think that it, being the focus of the game, would be more fine tuned is I suppose just one of those mysteries of life that we'll never have any idea about why it's like that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Actually, I would assume that it is full of broken messes like every other combat focused game in the world :P. Unless you can look me in the eyes and tell me D&D doesn't have any cheesy things like this. Or maybe D&D was actually supposed to be about telling minions what do do all along?

So uh, how the hell does equipment and it's acquisition work? I did everything else except this whole equipment thing

For the first one? Basically, you get all the modifiers to +0 and you can get an item. You automatically get +30 from only buying a single item, and can move the quality up or down to get a rare item or two.

Quick-Acquisition chart:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So if you want an item that is Extremly Rare, you have (+30, -30), which means you can put the Craftsmanship at Common which costs 0 and get it. If you want something that is Unique/Near, you can't get it :(. If you want something less rare, you can make it a higher craftsmanship.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 01:47:25 pm by Stirk »

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 17, 2016, 01:49:50 pm »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Actually, I would assume that it is full of broken messes like every other combat focused game in the world :P. Unless you can look me in the eyes and tell me D&D doesn't have any cheesy things like this. Or maybe D&D was actually supposed to be about telling minions what do do all along?

For the first one? Basically, you get all the modifiers to +0 and you can get an item. You automatically get +30 from only buying a single item, and can move the quality up or down to get a rare item or two.

Quick-Acquisition chart:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So if you want an item that is Extremly Rare, you have (+30, -30), which means you can put the Craftsmanship at Common which costs 0 and get it. If you want something that is Unique/Near, you can't get it :(. If you want something less rare, you can make it a higher craftsmanship.
So I can get a good quality power armor with the +30 for my first item? Sounds like a hell of a plan.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 17, 2016, 02:14:25 pm »

So I can get a good quality power armor with the +30 for my first item? Sounds like a hell of a plan.

Yes and no. Yes in that you did all your math correctly, no in the Errata jumps the Power Armor's rarity up a notch. You would be able to get Common Quality Power armor though. Even then it isn't -that- great, the power pack makes it fairly crippling. Other books have power armor with better battery life that you might technically be able to purchase if you want.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 17, 2016, 02:18:44 pm »

Judging by  the response Artificer Armour seems like a good choice.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31