Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31

Author Topic: Rogue Trader (something grimdark): Character Creation/OOC  (Read 41396 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader (something grimdark): Character Creation/OOC
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2016, 02:26:20 pm »

OK, so I've decided I might go for a mutant creation of a heretek magos biologis, who took the place of their creator.

I too am curious about the choosing process.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2016, 02:32:00 pm »

Maybe I should go for flamer just cuz I'm going to need it to purify the other players.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2016, 02:54:28 pm »

Ok, so:

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: XP (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Traits (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Talents (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Implants (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Familiars (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Description (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backstory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Questions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Acquisition (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 05:32:25 pm by GiglameshDespair »
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2016, 03:13:57 pm »

Ah, good point on the flamer. Right now I have 40 BS, so I guess it depends. I can fire on semiauto with the right pistol, raising my chance to hit to 50%, so untamed with a flamer it's the same chance to hit a dude with 30 agility. That doesn't seem that great, or that about really.

Anyway, I get what you mean, the errata is worded really really weirdly as far as the psychic talent thing, but I'm pretty sure it means that the talents are duplicates, and the talents just let me buy the techniques, so I think I can take them? It doesn't really make sense the other way.

And yes, I can't take stuff from a new discipline until I buy the talent to unlock it.

Also since I know there's been a little bit of confusion surrounding this (and someone asked me to ask). GM, how are you picking the sheets for this, is it first come first serve? Is it based on merit? What's the deadline?

Well 40BS is pretty great for a starting character :P. It doesn't exactly make you a killing machine, but it certainly isn't too bad either.

If we look at the "DUPLICATED SKILLS AND TALENTS" box right next to it, it kinda gives context to it. Basically they put everyone's starting talents in with their Rank One advances, and you can't take them again because you (for all intents and purposes) already did. The Astropath thing clarifies that you *basically* already took the two techniques.

And yeah, I didn't notice the SD Trait  :-\.

I am pretty sure he is just accepting everyone for his choosing process :P.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2016, 03:24:30 pm »

Ah, right, I get what you mean, (I'm not sure if it's just me but those boxes are almost freaking invisible it seems.) Sorry, yeah. Looks like... I can't buy any psychic powers past my starting ones at rank 1 unless I go Transubstantial initiate?

That. Seems really dumb? Sad.

I guess that's a heavy incentive to go into Transubstantial initiate.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2016, 03:33:42 pm »

So, for starting acquisition, can I try to get a vehicle from another of the rogue trader books?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2016, 03:36:33 pm »

Ah, right, I get what you mean, (I'm not sure if it's just me but those boxes are almost freaking invisible it seems.) Sorry, yeah. Looks like... I can't buy any psychic powers past my starting ones at rank 1 unless I go Transubstantial initiate?

That. Seems really dumb? Sad.

I guess that's a heavy incentive to go into Transubstantial initiate.

Some of them are hard to read, others are fine :-/. You might want to ask that other guy for clarification, but I think that is how it works.

So, for starting acquisition, can I try to get a vehicle from another of the rogue trader books?

Which one are ya looking at? Fair warning to the GM, most of them are super OP compared to what we can do on foot :P.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2016, 03:48:05 pm »

At this point, probably a guncutter. If I could shove a gun on the Arvus I would try to grab that instead, but it looks like the Guncutter is the best choice for multi-role stuff.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2016, 04:06:30 pm »

At this point, probably a guncutter. If I could shove a gun on the Arvus I would try to grab that instead, but it looks like the Guncutter is the best choice for multi-role stuff.

Yeah, the guncutter looks cool. Its also absurdly op, with enough armor nothing can kill it and strong enough guns it can kill anything :P. Its weakest armor is 30 (three times what ya can get from power armor), it has 2 pilot operated OP guns (450m, Heavy, S/2/5, 4d10+5, pen 4, clip 500, 2Full) that can basically kill anything instantly five times over without trying (and both can be fired as one action). Literally your only hope is to have a *ton* of guys with really big guns, or to get absurdly lucky and have the Emperor slap the thing out of the sky (You would need to get an RF, roll a 3 out of five, have the driver fail a toughness test, then have him be stunned long enough to crash, and hope he was traveling high enough to get a really bad crash.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2016, 04:08:56 pm »

Oh, ehm, am I too late to join? I was PTW to see how things work...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2016, 04:10:39 pm »

It's an interesting thing rogue trader combat. In theory there's not any straight up combat where our stats matter because we should be controlling a small (or large!) army. Presumably any combat involving us personally already needs to be under special circumstances (like assassins or something) to cut out the legions of support we can have. By buying such a vehicle, one would think he'd basically never use it. At least not in the same combat that anyone else is partaking in. True it might render some combat trivial, but combat is already trivial (or off the scale that we contribute in directly.)

On the other hand balancing such things is certainly one of the harder parts of GMing rogue trader, and rarely have I seen it done perfectly. So who knows. If the GM wants to like, throw us down into D&D style combat crawls, perhaps getting such a vehicle would be a bad idea.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 04:12:59 pm by Criptfeind »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2016, 04:13:36 pm »

Oh, ehm, am I too late to join? I was PTW to see how things work...

Are ya gonna be the dark elf? Of all the heresy....

It's an interesting thing rogue trader combat. In theory there's not any straight up combat where our stats matter because we should be controlling a small (or large!) army. Presumably any combat involving us personally already needs to be under special circumstances (like assassins or something) to cut out the legions of support we can have. By buying such a vehicle, one would think he'd basically never use it. At least not in the same combat that anyone else is partaking in. True it might render some combat trivial, but combat is already trivial (or off the scale that we contribute in directly.)

Usually, the RT and pals do everything themselves rather than having their armies do everything for them. Its part of the genre, like how Captain Kirk is the one who does everything while the redshirts stick to the background and get killed.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2016, 04:15:07 pm »

Usually, the RT and pals do everything themselves rather than having their armies do everything for them. Its part of the genre, like how Captain Kirk is the one who does everything while the redshirts stick to the background and get killed.

I guess it heavily depends on both the GM and players. I've personally seen both ways done. In the case where we will be having a combat focused game that we are personally partaking in, yes, the car seems like a bad idea because it's either op, makes combat impossible for the rest of us, or will be constantly made unusable in some way.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2016, 04:16:36 pm »

I guess it heavily depends on both the GM and players. I've personally seen both ways done. In the case where we will be having a combat focused game that we are personally partaking in, yes, the car seems like a bad idea because it's either op, makes combat impossible for the rest of us, or will be constantly made unusable in some way.

Not really. That is just the way it is designed to be played  :-\. Notice how there are a ton of rules for the Explorers doing things, but not a lot on how to buy/hire people to do things for you.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2016, 04:23:10 pm »

Well, I know the game has a focus on personal actions like that. But those actions are sorta the thing that need more rules to spell them out. combat is sorta a pain in the ass in a rules light game, whereas roleplaying hiring a mercenary company or whatever is generally a place where less rules are better.

Well, that. And. Yeah. I'd go as far as to say Rogue trader just isn't the best made game and somewhat self defeating.

Edit: Not to say it's not a cool game. I like and play a lot of flawed games (like shadowrun is way way way way worse then rogue trader and I still enjoy that). Just that well, I think there's room for however one wishes to play. (And that it can be hard to tell how a game will go until it starts.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 04:27:12 pm by Criptfeind »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31