Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31

Author Topic: Rogue Trader (something grimdark): Character Creation/OOC  (Read 41416 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader (something grimdark): Character Creation/OOC
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2016, 05:58:58 am »

So how does character creation go? I have the Dark Heresy rulebook, but not the Rogue Trader one.

Let us start then on the origin path, Choose a homeworld!

Death world
Voidborn
Forge World
Hive World
Imperial World
Nobel Born

I got the rulebook now by the way. I believe I'm going to make an Explorator, so the logical start is a Forge World.

Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2016, 08:03:50 am »

Ghazkull as Blightfang the Dirty Xeno Kroot (to do pair down your exp choices to 500 {you do not need to spend it all}, answer the six questions)

What do you mean with pair down my exp choices to 500...do we start with only 500 exp?

1. What is your Demeanor: Loyal and optomistic?  Unyielding and Bitter?  Sarcastic and seething with anger?
-loyal but greedy, the dry humour of the Kroot paired with the usual hunger for more meat and wealth

2. Why are you a leader aboard a Rogue Trader vessel?
- I am a Mercenary, Rogue Traders pay well and i get to eat many different things

3. Why does the Aurorus Expanse call to you?
-It doesn't call at all i just ended up here. My Kindred was in the vicinity and i hired on with the Rogue Trader

4. What will you sacrifice?
-Preferably i make the other dumb bastard sacrifice, but if i have to i suppose my life will do.

5. What is your ambition?
- FOOOD

6. What are your hatreds?
- Demons for i can't eat them and i suppose Genestealers/Tyranids because they are tasty

Yes, you should have a ton of skills and traits that you start with by default and then you spend 500 exp.  Your starting skills and traits are the equivalent of 4500 exp but those are already spent.  Compare to dark heresy you basically start with 9 characteristic advances as well, (base 25+2d10 instead of base 20+2d10).

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2016, 08:33:42 am »

ah fuck so i have to remove a lot of that stuff? :(

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2016, 08:42:30 am »

ah fuck so i have to remove a lot of that stuff? :(

Indeed, but just consider a lot of it as a wish list!  (probably easier to start over from scratch)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2016, 08:44:29 am »

Edit Edit: I am ruling Career is free as long as it makes some sense.  Every Astropath does not need to have Endurance.

As for the choir, you will start with a full set but they are not really functional for anything else.  Some may be badly burned and crippled, others may be nearly insane.  The Transcendent is the exception of being functional not the rule.

Thanks for the save bro >.> And as for the choir, cool, that's pretty much exactly what I want, basically just dudes that can stay off screen most of the time hanging out so I can actually send the captains calls to the right place. I don't want them to actually have much screen time (because that would make me less of a special snowflake heh heh heh.)

1. What is your Demeanor: Although hot tempered as a youth, decades of meditation, study and work for a greater cause has had a moderating influence on me. Much of the time I am sturdy, Supine, and calm. Although I must admit that in times of stress my mental control over my emotions can suffer, leading to a more Choleric and Bilious temperament.

2. Why are you a leader aboard a Rogue Trader vessel: Perhaps alone of the souls upon this ship, I have personally witnessed the grand light of the holy emperor with my own eyes and stayed, at least mostly, whole of mind and body. By Purity of Soul and Strength of Willpower I have domination over the warp and matters concerning it.

3. Why does the Aurorus Expanse call to you: Perhaps the Aurorus expanse called to me in a more literal sense then figuratively, for I did not come here of my own free will. Tens of thousands died on my journey here and my own fate was greatly disrupted. Now that I am here though I do not regret either sacrifice, I have found a place teeming with the need of the emperors light and my own services. So serve I shall, until the glory of the emperor has filled all corners of this realm and his light banishes all traces of the darkness remaining.

4. What will you sacrifice: I have sacrificed body and mind in service to the Throne. I have lost all my physical possessions in the past as fate has brought me to where I may serve. I have seen my companions be torn from this reality to be eternally tormented in an existence that should not be. None of this I have regretted, and all has been a sacrifice worth making for the service to the throne. The only part of me whole and unscarred, as yet not sacrificed, is my soul itself, the holy touch of the emperor himself has graced my soul, and that is something I can never part with.

5. What is your ambition: I shall serve the Throne in this dark corner of the universe, doing what I can to serve it's needs and bolster it's presence. Eventually all shall know that Nathin has brought the light of the emperor to a darkened corner of the universe and burned out that which lurked.

6. What are your hatreds: Those who live beyond the emperors light, or even worse those who purposefully leave it. The Xeno. The Heretic. They who are born without or purposefully discard the emperors grace are, at best, worthy of pity as they are removed from this existence.

Also looking though the "into the storm" book it looks like there's an alternate rank one for super pious radios astropaths, which might fit my character. If I'm parsing this right I pay 3 weapon skill and ballistic skill and in return my rank 1 advances are replaced by this list? Which mostly seems to make some basic things more expensive in exchange for swapping the lores around and making some thematic things less expensive, and also adding a very expensive option to pick up another discipline if you want to go like, combat or divination right away instead of waiting until rank 3.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 10:26:26 am by Criptfeind »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2016, 09:00:27 am »

I think there was some Faith-baised powers that might suit your character in Navis Primer, if you wanna check those out I can throw you some samples when I am at my computer.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2016, 10:16:54 am »

Spoiler: updated sheet (click to show/hide)
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2016, 10:38:39 am »

Alright, I think my sheet should be just about done.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2016, 10:48:43 am »

I think there was some Faith-baised powers that might suit your character in Navis Primer, if you wanna check those out I can throw you some samples when I am at my computer.

And now I am back.

Quick version, it is called the "Soul Ward" discipline. Its basic power is giving a boost to willpower and lets allies rerolled failed fear test. Its cheap/starter techniques are "Know Thy Place", which stuns the target and gives the user Fear (2) against them, Heresies Price (-30 aim to the target basically). One up from that are Bastion Of the Imperium (Reduces damage by psi-rating), Chorus of the Righteous (Buff allies up to psi raiting with +5 attacky skills per degree of success up to +30). Next tier is Strength of Truth (basically the last one, but with int and per instead, and lets you give a fate point to someone else.), Enduring Faith (removes fatigue), Reward of the Renegade (Reaction, blocks enemie's attack and reflects it completely at 2 successes), Glory of the Just (Basically another stat booster for str and toughness, can grant free fate points in return for fatigue, and Call to Faith (One ally can ignore non-dead/limb loss critical effects). Most are sustained, and I can give more details if needed.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2016, 11:01:39 am »

and updated...removed all teh characteristics updates for simplicities sake and a few skills

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2016, 11:10:46 am »

Looking though the "into the storm" book I see there's melee weapons specifically for psyker. If such a thing would be available in this game, I wonder if it would behoove me to swap my ballistic skill for weapon skill with an eye towards eventually acquiring such a thing. That would be quite a thing, striking someone with mind and blade at the same time.

Of course I'm so physically weak I'm not sure if this is the best plan, relying on melee. And my advances are super expensive... On the other hand I don't have THAT many other things to spend exp on.

And now I am back.

Yeah, thanks for the tip off, I acquired the book and looked though it, cool stuff, more of a buffer focus it seems. It's certainly something I'll look into, although unless I'm a Transubstantial Initiate (which afaik might not even be allowed in this game, I don't think VoidSlayer has said his stance on Into the Storm stuff, but he did let Aseaherus and Ghazkull characters in so I guess it's allowed?) it's going to be a very very long time until I can actually buy another Dicpline. Looking at the Transubstantial initiate though, it's sorta looking more temping. I rejected it a bit at first because dodge costs more in it, and I really want dodge, but the early discipline and the more expensive techniques (like, really? Only 100 exp for a rank one astropath? Even most of the first techniques in a branch cost more then 100....) are quite tempting.

If Transubstantial Initiate is allowed perhaps I should just get dodge right away (spending all my starting exp) pick up an okay gun (to use with my shitty BS) Then save up for Soul Warding right away. Becoming the buffer I was always meant to be.

Gun wise I seem to be looking at ether a good quality hell pistol or a good quality bolt pistol. Melta and plasma weapons also look okay but I'm not sure I want to have like a 10% chance that I have to drop it to avoid burning myself to death each shot.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:33:07 am by Criptfeind »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2016, 11:35:32 am »

Looking though the "into the storm" book I see there's melee weapons specifically for psyker. If such a thing would be available in this game, I wonder if it would behoove me to swap my ballistic skill for weapon skill with an eye towards eventually acquiring such a thing. That would be quite a thing, striking someone with mind and blade at the same time.

Of course I'm so physically weak I'm not sure if this is the best plan, relying on melee. And my advances are super expensive... On the other hand I don't have THAT many other things to spend exp on.

And now I am back.

Yeah, thanks for the tip off, I acquired the pbook and looked though it, cool stuff, more of a buffer focus it seems. It's certainly something I'll look into, although unless I'm a Transubstantial Initiate (which afaik might not even be allowed in this game, I don't think VoidSlayer has said his stance on Into the Storm stuff, but he did let Aseaherus character in so I guess it's allowed?) it's going to be a very very long time until I can actually buy another Dicpline. Looking at the Transubstantial initiate though, it's sorta looking more temping. I rejected it a bit at first because dodge costs more in it, and I really want dodge, but the early discipline and the more expensive techniques (like, really? Only 100 exp for a rank one astropath? Even most of the first techniques in a branch cost more then 100....) are quite tempting.

If Transubstantial Initiate is allowed perhaps I should just get dodge right away (spending all my starting exp) pick up an okay gun (to use with my shitty BS) Then save up for Soul Warding right away. Becoming the buffer I was always meant to be.

You also might wanna check out the errata. There is a tone of stuff on pyskers there. Anyway, I never read much of the pysker stuff, but don't you get to start out with two techniques, from any school?

You could always pick up a flamer-they don't rely on your BS skill, and it suits your character. Also, if I am reading the rules right, the techniques in the Astropath school are the techniques you already have (according to the Erratta), thus you can't take the rank 1 techniques anyway (and if you could, they where supposed to be 200 anyway :P). You *might* be able to actually take them with the alternate rank though, if I am reading it right.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2016, 11:57:27 am »

Wow. The Errata is pretty huge. Doubles the exp cost of rank 1  techniques (although also saying your free ones can't be more then 200). Doubles the max bonus from an astropathic choir. Massively nerfs basic thought sending (how sad, it turns it from a two way short range radio to a one way "you have to basically be standing next to each other to work" thing. Buffs physcic scream. Loads of other stuff as well.

I don't see the part where the techniques in the telepathy discipline are free for astropaths though, as far as I can tell, it works the same as any other, only that you get access to the discipline and two of the techniques for free at the start. And Yeah, the two free ones you start out with have the same prerequisite as anything else, which include knowing the discipline.

Edit: Also unfortunately, it seems my weapon proficiency doesn't cover flame weapons. I could buy the flame weapon proficiency if I went Transubstantial Initiate for 300 exp. But sorta eh, if I go transubstantial initiate I think I'm more likely to want to go ranged combat anyway, so might as well pick up an okay gun.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 01:14:31 pm by Criptfeind »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2016, 01:47:50 pm »

Wow. The Errata is pretty huge. Doubles the exp cost of rank 1  techniques (although also saying your free ones can't be more then 200). Doubles the max bonus from an astropathic choir. Massively nerfs basic thought sending (how sad, it turns it from a two way short range radio to a one way "you have to basically be standing next to each other to work" thing. Buffs physcic scream. Loads of other stuff as well.

I don't see the part where the techniques in the telepathy discipline are free for astropaths though, as far as I can tell, it works the same as any other, only that you get access to the discipline and two of the techniques for free at the start. And Yeah, the two free ones you start out with have the same prerequisite as anything else, which include knowing the discipline.

Edit: Also unfortunately, it seems my weapon proficiency doesn't cover flame weapons. I could buy the flame weapon proficiency if I went Transubstantial Initiate for 300 exp. But sorta eh, if I go transubstantial initiate I think I'm more likely to want to go ranged combat anyway, so might as well pick up an okay gun.

The erratta is like 13 pages long :P. I didn't say that they where free (or anything close to it -_-). I skimmed the rules, and there isn't anything blocking your access into a new discipline? As in, you could just use the two that you start with for Soul Ward instead. Like I said earlier, if you *don't* take the TI, you can't buy the 200 costing techniques, because they are duplicates of what got you to 2 Psy-power to start with.

It doesn't, but if you had a low BS it wouldn't mean as much (EX a guy with 25 BS would still be more likely to hit with a flamer than a weapon he is proficient in). And on the other hand, it does mean flame heavy weapons are the most easily accessible :P.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2016, 02:20:21 pm »

Ah, good point on the flamer. Right now I have 40 BS, so I guess it depends. I can fire on semiauto with the right pistol, raising my chance to hit to 50%, so untamed with a flamer it's the same chance to hit a dude with 30 agility. That doesn't seem that great, or that about really.

Anyway, I get what you mean, the errata is worded really really weirdly as far as the psychic talent thing, but I'm pretty sure it means that the talents are duplicates, and the talents just let me buy the techniques, so I think I can take them? It doesn't really make sense the other way.

And yes, I can't take stuff from a new discipline until I buy the talent to unlock it.

Also since I know there's been a little bit of confusion surrounding this (and someone asked me to ask). GM, how are you picking the sheets for this, is it first come first serve? Is it based on merit? What's the deadline?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31