Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31

Author Topic: Rogue Trader (something grimdark): Character Creation/OOC  (Read 41363 times)

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader (something grimdark): Character Creation/OOC
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2016, 07:10:00 pm »

I would like to participate, if there's still room. I haven't ever played Rogue Trader before, but I'm fairly knowledgeable about Warhammer 40k's Lore.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2016, 07:29:07 pm »

@Cript: Unless you're talking about something else, the extra piece of starting gear is actually independent of profit factor

Ahhh. Right right, I thought I remembered it being automatic, but it's been so long that I forgot how it really works and just skimming over the character creation section that covers it seemed to imply to me that it wasn't automatic so I figured I was remembering some other game. Thanks for the save.

I'm not sure if I want or need a gun. I'm not an Arch-militant here, more of a glorified radio really. But I'm not sure, it can be hard to tell in rogue trader what you'll be doing.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2016, 07:35:45 pm »

@Cript: Unless you're talking about something else, the extra piece of starting gear is actually independent of profit factor

Ahhh. Right right, I thought I remembered it being automatic, but it's been so long that I forgot how it really works and just skimming over the character creation section that covers it seemed to imply to me that it wasn't automatic so I figured I was remembering some other game. Thanks for the save.

I'm not sure if I want or need a gun. I'm not an Arch-militant here, more of a glorified radio really. But I'm not sure, it can be hard to tell in rogue trader what you'll be doing.

You could get a psy-focus to help with that then.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2016, 07:56:37 pm »

Yeah. I get one of those for free in my starting gear, which is great and all.

I sorta want an astropathic choir, but I can't find if there's any rules on purchasing one, and even if there is I doubt it'd be +0. Edit: Actually do we just start with one? I'm not sure if they are like, common enough to be assumed to be on all ships of a certain size or not. Maybe...

Kroot it is then.
Kordag Blightfang

It's been a long time since I've looked though the rules for xenos character creation, but you seem to have a very large number of advances that I'm pretty sure that Xenos don't get for free. Unless I'm mistaken that's like, over 4000 exp in advances?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 08:18:22 pm by Criptfeind »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2016, 08:10:00 pm »

GM: What would a Best Quality Calculance Array be like?

And can you roll for Starting Profit Factor and Soup Points?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 08:14:06 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2016, 08:15:26 pm »

Yeah. I get one of those for free in my starting gear, which is great and all.

I sorta want an astropathic choir, but I can't find if there's any rules on purchasing one, and even if there is I doubt it'd be +0.

Kroot it is then.
Kordag Blightfang

It's been a long time since I've looked though the rules for xenos character creation, but you seem to have a very large number of advances that I'm pretty sure that Xenos don't get for free. Unless I'm mistaken that's like, over 4000 exp in advances?

You could have two! One for each hand! I think we would have a choir already, since we can't have all our ships communications done by one guy. Otherwise the rules for purchasing non-game things are under the "Unusual Acquisitions" rule (274).

And yeah, he messed up on the character sheet. Like big time.

"You do not actually spend these xp; that amount represents your character’s pre-existing starting Characteristics, Origin Path, Skills, and other abilities" (Emphasis original). You *actually* get 500 to spend. In addition, it looks like you *just* bought the last one in line for all the stat ups, when you actually have to buy the ones before it. Ex you bought all the toughness, when it should actually cost 250+500+750+1000=2500, basically half of what you thought you had.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 08:20:29 pm by Stirk »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2016, 08:22:24 pm »

I think we would have a choir already, since we can't have all our ships communications done by one guy.

True. I wonder if we're just assumed to have a maxed out group then of five or more other guys? I guess we can assume that as an Astropath transcendent I'm like, the coolest dude and lead the choir when possible. If we've got a full choir I can reach nearby systems or at max push anywhere within a sub sector. Not to mention with that many scrub astropaths I guess we can have a rotating shift of them on meditation duty for incoming messages, so I don't need to handle it when we're in combat or whatever. Hopefully that's how it is because although 5 guys is like, trivial, astropaths are probably like, extremely rare.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 08:30:51 pm by Criptfeind »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2016, 08:35:13 pm »

So how does character creation go? I have the Dark Heresy rulebook, but not the Rogue Trader one.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2016, 08:40:07 pm »

It's pretty much the same except you use the rogue trader book instead of the dark heresy one.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2016, 08:41:02 pm »

That's kind of the problem though, like I said I don't have the Rogue Trader rulebook :P
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2016, 08:44:29 pm »

I think we would have a choir already, since we can't have all our ships communications done by one guy.

True. I wonder if we're just assumed to have a maxed out group then of five or more other guys? I guess we can assume that as an Astropath transcendent I'm like, the coolest dude and lead the choir when possible. If we've got a full choir I can reach nearby systems or at max push anywhere within a sub sector. Not to mention with that many scrub astropaths I guess we can have a rotating shift of them on meditation duty for incoming messages, so I don't need to handle it when we're in combat or whatever. Hopefully that's how it is because although 5 guys is like, trivial, astropaths are probably like, extremely rare.

Walking around with 5 psykers sounds like a good way to get us in trouble with any pious locals :P. In any case, astropaths are basically the most common pysker type allowed to live, since you need a couple on each planet/ship for effective long distance communications, they aren't *that* rare. They aren't nearly as strong as a PC, who plays an astropath transcendent, meaning they are capable of doing things other than being a walkie-talkie that walks.

Basically, a ton of pyskers are picked up in black ships and brought to Earth. The weaker ones are fed to the emperor/beacon thing, while the stronger ones are sent to training. Most of the trained ones become astropaths, with only a small amount becoming anything else.

That's kind of the problem though, like I said I don't have the Rogue Trader rulebook :P

Then you will have to got make a perfectly legitimate purchase of the PDF like everyone else did.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2016, 08:59:20 pm »

I'm fairly sure that a rogue trader isn't going to get in trouble for having astropaths on on his ship! That's what they are for after all.  Walking around with them might be weird though yes.

I'm just wondering if we're suppose to start with a full complement or not. It makes sense that like, a city on a planet might only have a single astropath, but as rogue traders we're a cut above that. Certainly anywhere that wants to send messages to anyone not on the same planet is gunna have a bundle of em.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2016, 09:04:01 pm »

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

Note, this is why I asked if there where any free choice rows, namely the career one.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2016, 09:14:37 pm »

Oh. Crap. I totally forgot that career is officially a part of the origins path, probably cuz I've never played in a game that didn't allow you to freely pick it. Uhhh. That'd totally invalidate my character if it's not the case in this game. Lolwhoops, I'll look over the stuff and see if I can fix it if it turns out that we can't choose. Although it looks like we've got permission for into the storm origins? I guess that might expand my options and make it easier to get to astropath transcendent if I need to rework my origins.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2016, 11:03:04 pm »

GM: What would a Best Quality Calculance Array be like?

And can you roll for Starting Profit Factor and Soup Points?

NO SOUP FOR YOU.

Other updates coming up.

Edit: Also the PDF seems to be out of print.

Edit Edit: I am ruling Career is free as long as it makes some sense.  Every Astropath does not need to have Endurance.

As for the choir, you will start with a full set but they are not really functional for anything else.  Some may be badly burned and crippled, others may be nearly insane.  The Transcendent is the exception of being functional not the rule.

Yeah you start with your starting skills and traits +500 exp.  You functionally are at 5000 Exp, but 4500 of that was spent to get you to level 1.  RT characters basically start out as level something Dark Heresy characters.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 11:10:42 pm by VoidSlayer »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31