Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31

Author Topic: Rogue Trader (something grimdark): Character Creation/OOC  (Read 41436 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader (something grimdark): Character Creation/OOC
« Reply #285 on: September 19, 2016, 05:59:54 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The AL support is (2/1/2), clearing it out to a M-1 increases ALL morale loss by 1 (so it's a +1 to everything? :/) at (3/1/0)
while the Vitae Pattern LS is (4/2/0)
Leaving 2/-1/2
I guess we're sticking with those macrocannons then.
SO
Clearing the CC hold of 2/5/1, I'll assume we're aiming less for morale and more for utilitarian purposes (we can upgrade our ship later right O_o), so xenos habitats (2/1/1), leaving 2/4/2.
I'm personally moving for CLan-kin quarters, shifting our (1/2/0) to (1/4/1), while giving us a bonus vs guarding boarding, reduces any and all sources of morale loss by 1 to a minimum of 1.
If that happens, we have 2/2/1.
Or if we pick the other cargo bay (Cargo hold and lighter bay of 1/2/1), have 1/3/1 left.
...Though if we remove that trophy room, we have 3/3/2 or 2/4/2 left. :P (Heh, perfect for a Barracks)

Considering downgrades from our Emergency Field (to Gellar) giving us +1 to power, and Repulsor to Void for another +1 to power, it's 5/3/2 or 4/4/2.
Seriously would like some upgrades though, considering we can't do much about our morale at the start. And having a nice deductor to ANY morale detriment is a good thing (so +1 suggestion on my part to Clan-kin quarters).

+1 to Clan-kin quarters. Its definitely what we need to counter the losses we are getting from everything else :-/.

Morale. Just like its Rogue, not rouge.

Actually, Holt specializes in selling a very unique shade of red, making him the rouge Rogue Trader :P. Likewise, he is obviously concerned with the morality of having a poor life support system, possibly dooming our workers to sub-par conditions.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 19, 2016, 06:05:27 pm »

We should get them, mostly because we already have a rather nasty morale penalty. Plus, anything that keeps the numbers from ticking down to death is good. We may also want to get one of the better life support systems to lessen morale losses, and crew losses at the same time.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 19, 2016, 07:37:53 pm »

[...]
If that happens, we have 2/2/1.
Or if we pick the other cargo bay (Cargo hold and lighter bay of 1/2/1), have 1/3/1 left.
...Though if we remove that trophy room, we have 3/3/2 or 2/4/2 left. :P (Heh, perfect for a Barracks)

Considering downgrades from our Emergency Field (to Gellar) giving us +1 to power, and Repulsor to Void for another +1 to power, it's 5/3/2 or 4/4/2.
Seriously would like some upgrades though, considering we can't do much about our morale at the start. And having a nice deductor to ANY morale detriment is a good thing (so +1 suggestion on my part to Clan-kin quarters).

Considering this thingy, I do recall (but don't have the book with me atm), that there's an upgrade to our engines(?) for an added 2/2/1 that decreases the time by 1d5 days or something? Given that we CAN reach it by the modifications I stated above (ie That first sentence), it's a nice wrap. :D

As in, I recall it's in the Into the storm book. It adds a 2/2/1(?)
Strelov 1 Warp Engine 10 power 10 space
So it's like a tiny bit upgrade from this, BUT it lessens the # of days in the warp \o/

We should get them, mostly because we already have a rather nasty morale penalty. Plus, anything that keeps the numbers from ticking down to death is good. We may also want to get one of the better life support systems to lessen morale losses, and crew losses at the same time.
This does mean, that if there's a 1 morale decrement from any source, this also cuts into the ones the ship components do, right? Like if stale air increases anything by 1 morale, the clan-kin cuts anything by 1 morale :O

Which means if we pick Xenos Quarters, it won't be a permanent -2 but a -1 instead thanks to Clan-Kin? :D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 08:44:22 pm by Tiruin »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 19, 2016, 07:58:34 pm »

I note Caellath

Oh no. There's enough interest I believe I might not post a sheet. I've given the thread a skim so here's a few cents; feel free to ignore anything that's already been addressed.

The Runecaster is a great xenotech item. Less chances of warp shenanigans, a hefty bonus for your Navigator's navigational skills and you can get wherever you want faster than your competitors/pursuers.

I see you're starting with a frigate, and that's good. Most Frigates are solid starter ships because they can carry cargo if you add a Hold, they have good Detection—important during combat (since its first digit is the ship's initiative modifier, and some actions need it) and outside of it (scanning everything, exploration)—and can both fight well and escape unwinnable situations. High maneuverability is really important in the game as well, and transports in general lack that, with the Orion's notable exception. I'd probably pick the Tempest over the Sword because those two extra points of space could make a real difference for components that take a lot of room but little energy (like holds) and let you take space-consuming poor-quality components as well, but the Sword is still a good vessel.

You could always ask the GM to replace the cheap life support with a Vitae-pattern, though it's worth pointing out the Mark 1.r increases morale loss by 1, so it's not a permanent -1, differently from what's written in the sheet. The Armored Command Bridge is a solid choice over the situational combat bridge—you want to kill things before they cause your ship damage, and with a +5 bonus to BS and Command Tests, you can do that. Weapon-wise, you can't go wrong with Sunsear lasers; they're cheap, pack a mean punch and are long-ranged.

@Tiruin: Are you picking a GC Navis Prima for your starting acquisition? The Errata includes a bonus for Navigation (Warp), so it's better than the Almanac in helping a Navigator with their job.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 08:04:34 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 19, 2016, 08:07:03 pm »

You could always ask the GM to replace the cheap life support with a Vitae-pattern, though it's worth pointing out the Mark 1.r increases morale loss by 1, so it's not a permanent -1, differently from what's written in the sheet. The Armored Command Bridge is a solid choice over the situational combat bridge—you want to kill things before they cause your ship damage, and with a +5 bonus to BS and Command Tests, you can do that. Weapon-wise, you can't go wrong with Sunsear lasers; they're cheap, pack a mean punch and are long-ranged.

@Tiruin: Are you picking a GC Navis Prima for your starting acquisition? The Errata includes a bonus for Navigation (Warp), so it's better than the Almanac in helping a Navigator with their job.
I'm picking the Almanac because it can help me with all my other skills, not just Nav (Warp) :D Also...I read it provides +10 if Good, and I can't get Best because of both its 'very rare' ness giving it a -20. :C

Next, I believe the Combat Bridge gives a nice +10 to repairs--so considering if our Voidsman repairs anything, there won't be a decrement (unless I read wrong that the Xenophilic trait means 'repairs only to that certain place if it is damaged', rather than 'the whole darn ship').

It's also the cheapiest bridge :3

Also I thought we can edit everything o_O oops! Looking back, the GM kinda diiiiiid pick those starting essentials ._. Are we only limited to picking extra components?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 19, 2016, 08:16:05 pm »

Pay attention to the wording, however. Almanac can provide a +10 bonus to Navigation, Pilot, Scholastic Lore (Astromancy), or Trade (Astrographer) Tests where its information is directly relevant to the circumstances. You won't be piloting the ship so the bonus to Pilot is unnecessary, and the only navigation a star map is going to give a bonus to is Navigation (Stellar). There's also the fact you're in a newly-rediscovered Expanse. Believe me, the GC Navis Prima is worth it when you avoid hitting a Warp reef or having the corridors flood with warp blood.

Do you mean voidsmen? Technically, your Explorator is the one conducting/leading  repairs and they a) should start with/get Forbidden Lore: Xenos and b) can get a good bit of bonus from servo-skull assistance + combi-tool + whatever other bonuses they manage, like from a MIU.

>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 19, 2016, 08:35:42 pm »

Pay attention to the wording, however. Almanac can provide a +10 bonus to Navigation, Pilot, Scholastic Lore (Astromancy), or Trade (Astrographer) Tests where its information is directly relevant to the circumstances. You won't be piloting the ship so the bonus to Pilot is unnecessary, and the only navigation a star map is going to give a bonus to is Navigation (Stellar). There's also the fact you're in a newly-rediscovered Expanse. Believe me, the GC Navis Prima is worth it when you avoid hitting a Warp reef or having the corridors flood with warp blood.

Do you mean voidsmen? Technically, your Explorator is the one conducting/leading  repairs and they a) should start with/get Forbidden Lore: Xenos and b) can get a good bit of bonus from servo-skull assistance + combi-tool + whatever other bonuses they manage, like from a MIU.
Umpf. I was seriously curious about that italicized line but wondered 'hey, maybe it'll be contextualized to the location'.
I'll shift it to the Navis Prima then--thanks much! Also our Explorator doesn't have Forbidden lore (Xenos). I checked every sheet and the only dude who does have that is our Voidmaster :P So...not really meaning voidsmen. As in this list, but my sheet is rather on the newer pages and not that linkie. It's on the same page anyway as that list, here.

Edoot: Also I *really* wanted to play with you .-. as an aside. You've been an ever inspiring friend since ever.

Also I've no idea how Navigators shift ships or something but I'm a bit in the mud in making a reason why I'm here for the 6 questions .-.
...But part of that is why I picked A Cloud in the Warp. hide hide hide hide from all the nasty warp-sight things! D:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 09:23:44 pm by Tiruin »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 19, 2016, 09:23:26 pm »

I might join with a Missionary if there's still room, then. Attrition means it's likely people will start dropping off/become unresponsive pretty quickly so my application shouldn't change things too much.

Either that or a Voidmaster. Best career to have a duplicate of due to their Masteries.
>Yes?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 19, 2016, 10:12:07 pm »

I note Caellath

Oh no. There's enough interest I believe I might not post a sheet. I've given the thread a skim so here's a few cents; feel free to ignore anything that's already been addressed.

The Runecaster is a great xenotech item. Less chances of warp shenanigans, a hefty bonus for your Navigator's navigational skills and you can get wherever you want faster than your competitors/pursuers.

I see you're starting with a frigate, and that's good. Most Frigates are solid starter ships because they can carry cargo if you add a Hold, they have good Detection—important during combat (since its first digit is the ship's initiative modifier, and some actions need it) and outside of it (scanning everything, exploration)—and can both fight well and escape unwinnable situations. High maneuverability is really important in the game as well, and transports in general lack that, with the Orion's notable exception. I'd probably pick the Tempest over the Sword because those two extra points of space could make a real difference for components that take a lot of room but little energy (like holds) and let you take space-consuming poor-quality components as well, but the Sword is still a good vessel.

Eh, the Sword has better detect and maneuverability, which as you just said is pretty important. 3+ Detect and 2+ Maneuverability isn't something the equivalent to one room worth of space can equal.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 19, 2016, 10:53:51 pm »

2 space can make quite a difference but yeah, both are valid options. The Tempest is only better if you can find an use for the extra space, otherwise the Sword is the best choice. The latter seems the case here anyway.
>Yes?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 20, 2016, 04:51:35 am »

If, theoretically, someone was making a character, what's the crew's Profit Factor?

Asking for a friend.

And also if a Career gives you a skill you already have, how do you handle it?

And are starting skills trained or basic?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 04:55:38 am by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 20, 2016, 07:53:56 am »

It was 40 PF the last time I checked, though it might change depending on the crew's origin path's options.

If you gain a repeated skill during chargen, you gain its next step of mastery (usually +10) while if you gain a repeated Talent, you gain Talented (any one skill).

The rules get complicated when you include backgrounds from Into the Storm, which have an experience cost: the ruling for skills is the same, with the addition that you can choose not to gain the next step in exchange for a 50xp discount in the background option; Talents, on the other side, can only default to the 50xp discount and do not gain Talented.

Basic means a skill you can attempt to use even without training (though at half the characteristic score) while Trained in the sheet means you have the first degree of training in a Skill (+0). For example, I can start with the Dodge skill. That means I have it Trained (+0) but it's a Basic Skill, so even if I didn't have training in it I could attempt a dodge. Knowing which skills are Basic (or which Advanced skills your background turn into Basic ones) is important only for the skills you don't have training in. You could check pg. 74.

>Yes?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 20, 2016, 08:26:57 am »

Also note that some things give trained skills and some just give basic ones.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 20, 2016, 09:14:14 am »

So I based my newbie ship plan on Criptfiend's, as since we can't get sweet smelling air archaotech and NICE THINGS, I've replaced the choice with the Vitae Pattern Life Sustainer; dunked the Pressed-Crew Quarters in favor of the Clan-Kin Quarters; and blew up our Compartmentalized Cargo Hold for the only other variant being the Cargo Hold and Lighter Bay; original idea was Xeno Habitats until I realized that I had just replaced a 'cargo hold' with a 'passenger compartment'. We DEARLY lack space though ._. but happy that the Runecaster exists to help our Nav rolls and cut our journey time by 1/2 of anything.

So that leaves us with 3/0/1, with me wondering if we upgrade our bridge into a Command Bridge.

Spoiler: Plan #1; Sword Frigate (click to show/hide)

I've no idea what leftover values mean so I'm trying to stuff everything in.
Eh, the Sword has better detect and maneuverability, which as you just said is pretty important. 3+ Detect and 2+ Maneuverability isn't something the equivalent to one room worth of space can equal.
You mean 2 space, rather than 1 space. :P
And if we actually shift it to the Tempest, we can spend that 3/0/1 into a 3/2/1, by either upgrading into a Deep Void Auger Array (which costs us 2/0/1), and or spending the 1/2/1 to upgrade our cargo into the Shadowblind Bays--effectively removing -3 manoeuverability from the Cargo Hold&Lighter Bay.

We sadly lack anything more to get a Sunsear weapons battery :C

I picked both the Deep Void and Shadowblind bays--we come out better than Plan 1, but there are always reserve values that may be better spent in other places. The Shadowblind bays also cover 25 of the Criminal objective the trophy room has, but lacks the +50 on exploration and trade, with a 25 to criminal. But it can make us smugglers!
...I don't feel good about our ship like that if we're illegal? Unless it's reasonable ._.

I'm personally for the Tempest, and any further edits to the loadout.
Also we can't ever get Sunsear Laser Batteries :C

On that note--we can easily replace the Trophy Room for a Temple-Shrine to the God Emperor if anyone would like.

Edit: Considering the setting,
The setting will take place in an expanse of stars that was until recently cut off from the Imperium, surrounded by difficult to navigate warp shoals and primarily accessible through an ancient warp gate of unknown origin.  The Aurorus Expanse was cut off for nearly three thousand years before the warp gate reactivated a hundred years ago.  Hundreds of worlds were brought back into the light in a minor crusade, but still unknown mysteries, alien dangers and rapidly changing politics dominate this region.  You have chosen to make your fortune here, for one reason or another, for now at least.

Exact details and such can be worked out.
I'm unsure what this entails more of, and such.

Voidslayer: How do we talk about the Rogue Planet thing I set in my backstory .-. I'm of mind to change it to Beyond the Pale instead if it's not something suitable to be taken because of plot reasons.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 12:16:44 pm by Tiruin »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 20, 2016, 09:14:58 am »

WIP ZONE: HERETICAL LACK OF FINISHITUDE WITHIN

RX-B8BL-34(Babel) the 'Explorator'
B8BL was a Skitarius assigned with his Magos to the pilgrim-vessel Impenetrable Shield of the Divine Emperor when the warp-drives failed during a transit. The ship wandering aimlessly through the Empyrean with a weak Gellar field resulted in first a mutiny by the Pilgrims against the crew of the ship (In the name of the Emperor) of course, then a slow, brutal descent into madness and brutal tribalism over the months as supplies ran low and body-counts ran high. Eventually, B8BL was the last of the skitarii left alive, the Magos long-since slain by crazed fanatics of a god he never truly understood as a devotee of the Omnissiah. As he stalked the halls, desperately following the Magos' last patrol pattern over and over, week after week after week, something in the neatly-arranged cogs of B8BL's half-electrical brain slipped into a different gear, and the precise brainwashing of the Legio Titanicus began to erode. In any normal skitarius, this would of course result in a full retrofit of faulty components, but on the Shield, the faulty cyborg was alone. No other entities to warn him that he was exceeding proper mental parameters. As he stalked the corridors of a dead ship, nothing but half-feral scavengers daring to come close to his ever-predictable route, he began to query why the ship's tech-priests had not repaired the drive. He began to question whether they were worthy to do so in the Omnissiah's name, and if not, whether he was. By the fourth month, the Gellar field generators were flickering, the few surviving ship's engineers fighting for survival against screaming fanatics, and B8BL was low on rations and questioning the remit of the entire Adeptus Mechanicus.
By the time the warp-disengagement siren was howling around the dead and empty corridors of a ship, the ship gutted in search of spare parts by the non-mechanicus engineers who had hidden when the mutiny occured , B8BL's mind was made up. Taking up the mantle of the dead Magos, disregarding his orders, and fleeing onto a salvage vessel, he began a personal journey to the -xxx- sector, seeking not only revenge on what he had logically concluded was an evil and corrupt organisation for brainwashing him, but also proof that they were unworthy of tending to the extensions of the Machine Spirit's benevolence at all.
Spoiler: Path (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: traits (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Talents (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Implants (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gear (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: companions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: EXP (click to show/hide)

If there's anything wrong with the sheet that isnt in the todo list, please tell me. Learning the system as I go.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 03:28:15 pm by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31