Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26

Author Topic: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (Seeking replacement GM)  (Read 32496 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (First Half of 1941, Revision)
« Reply #240 on: September 22, 2016, 02:41:22 pm »

the V12 on the T33 can push an heavy tank to 45 km/h.

I wonder what it will do mounted on an aluminium armored car. If we add wings it may take off :P

But yes, if you are going to include a V12 engine , at least use the good one with all the techs.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 22, 2016, 03:22:19 pm »

Its a medium tank with heavy armor on the front, but yah, it reaches 45km/h.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 22, 2016, 07:35:11 pm »

I'll support the new rapid moose since we need a away to get troops alive to ship first, then breach it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:39:00 pm by stabbymcstabstab »
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 22, 2016, 08:02:32 pm »

Yaknow, its really sad that transport to battle by foot VS by truck had no effect in the original game, I have a feeling if it did then there would be more troop transport things out and about.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 22, 2016, 08:41:33 pm »

Yeah, I imagine the full on blitz that ended the war would probably have worked very differently of that was taken into account.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 22, 2016, 08:46:05 pm »

Yaknow, its really sad that transport to battle by foot VS by truck had no effect in the original game, I have a feeling if it did then there would be more troop transport things out and about.

Considering the three biomes that were fought in for the majority of the war were a jungle, mountains, and plains that had played host to trench warfare for multiple decades...

I'll roll up the revised APC soon.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 22, 2016, 10:08:10 pm »

So I had an epiphany earlier today. We may be thinking about advancing our technology from the wrong direction. Because we're facing XCOM aliens that means that XCOM technology works regardless of how physics actually works. As solo pilots have been mentioned, I'm assuming we're using OldCOM as the basis here? In that case, we can use OldCOM's wiki and game play as a basis to know what tech works and what tech doesn't, as we have with Wikipedia and real world military history.

As such, presuming the above is correct, we should look into the next advances that were available in OldCOM that could help us with shooting alien aircraft down. Once we can semi-reliably shoot them down, we will have signficantly more time to bring in troops to secure the site, starting the feedback loop of tech and resource progression that will let us kick alien ass all the way back to where they came from.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (First Half of 1941, Alien Research)
« Reply #247 on: September 22, 2016, 10:49:58 pm »

Revision Results

UF-MV21-AL II "Rabid Moose" Alt:
An armoured car based on the UF-MV21-AL.  The tires have been enlarged and reinforced to improve offroad traction.  The engine has been replaced with a turbocharged V12 engine, increasing the absolute on-road max speed to 140 kilometers per hour if the driver pushes it.  Standard maximum is 120 kilometers per hour.  Offroad, it can achieve a relatively safe maximum speed of 70 kilometers per hour, with an absolute maximum for mad drivers being 90 kilometers per hour.  As a result of the disposition of most drivers, soldiers only rarely utilize the external harness points and hand/foot holds.

Costs 5 Ore, 3 Oil
Current Expense Level: Expensive

Alien Research Phase
(Just a rename of reverse engineering to allow for study of their corpses to make sense.)

Options
Alien Alloys II (Requires another research topic to be completed before it becomes available)
Apparent Power Source of the Excavated Site.
Broken alien weapons recovered from both battle zones.
Recovered Alien Corpse from "successful" battle zone.

So I had an epiphany earlier today. We may be thinking about advancing our technology from the wrong direction. Because we're facing XCOM aliens that means that XCOM technology works regardless of how physics actually works. As solo pilots have been mentioned, I'm assuming we're using OldCOM as the basis here? In that case, we can use OldCOM's wiki and game play as a basis to know what tech works and what tech doesn't, as we have with Wikipedia and real world military history.

As such, presuming the above is correct, we should look into the next advances that were available in OldCOM that could help us with shooting alien aircraft down. Once we can semi-reliably shoot them down, we will have signficantly more time to bring in troops to secure the site, starting the feedback loop of tech and resource progression that will let us kick alien ass all the way back to where they came from.

If you are going to copy what original X-Com used, then you'll need a 2100 kph Interceptor either a computer assisted autocannon able to track and fire at a 10 kilometer range, or missles that track from 30 or 60 kilometers.  Still, you might wind up reaching later tech by an alternative path...
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 22, 2016, 11:06:50 pm »

Power Source

I'm thinking Power Source into Broken Alien Weapons will help us get to a circuitry level where we can begin work on computers and miniturizing electronics to begin to get us signficantly better targeting.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 23, 2016, 12:38:13 am »

Alloys II, it should be simple to integrate and the improved rigidity to weight ratio should offer some surprisingly dynamic rocketry advances. I mean, a rocket-fighter that can largely ignore flight-stresses and is highly heat resistant would have a serious advantage over anything from world war II...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 23, 2016, 12:43:00 am »

Broken alien weapons!  We need to master their weapon tech, then put it on a train or a deathball.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 23, 2016, 01:00:04 am »

Okay, fair enough, I do find myself incapable of arguing against a deathball that uses plasma launchers or lasers as propulsion, but I rather suspect that we will not actually get any weapon technology from a that weapon. At best we might get a sight, or maybe some sort of triggering mechanism, but we would probably be lucky to get so much as some stray circuitry...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #252 on: September 23, 2016, 01:07:11 am »

I like your gumption RAM, alien alloys would probably make a stellar airframe, but we need to shoot down ETOs to get enough alloys to make something in the first place. Our best bet is finding some advancement that can be implemented with currently existing technology.

Broken Alien Weapons

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 23, 2016, 01:47:11 am »

Besides, alien alloy II are marked as requiring another tech to be researched. Likely alien power core, but we lack the means to get elerium and alloys. Lets go for weapons. Maybe we get an idea for an advanced weapon of some sort.  Or techs. Vote revoked, see later.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 11:09:11 am by andrea »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 23, 2016, 02:24:20 am »

My understanding was that the required tech was Alien Alloy I: we need to research phase to be able to use alloys.

So yeah, I say we finish the Alloy research. We can't build Alien weapons without aliens materials anyway.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26