Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26

Author Topic: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (Seeking replacement GM)  (Read 32503 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (First Half of 1941, Design)
« Reply #195 on: September 20, 2016, 07:04:17 pm »

Along with bat bombs, though I dont think those would have asmuch utility for us.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 20, 2016, 07:27:18 pm »

Helicopter seems to have the most support.  Where is it at, again?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 20, 2016, 07:45:32 pm »

Spoiler:  UF-LAOA-41 "Lookout" (click to show/hide)
Highly Opinionated Fool

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 20, 2016, 08:54:05 pm »

I think I'll keep an eye out on this thread. I look forward to Forenian laser AA guns.
Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 20, 2016, 09:15:47 pm »

Who use's lasers for AA? We'll end up using Deathballs for AA instead.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 20, 2016, 09:32:20 pm »

Who use's lasers for AA? We'll end up using Orbital Cowardice-seeking Deathballs for AA instead.
+1
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 20, 2016, 09:34:52 pm »

Lasers are almost useless in atmospheres. Perhaps for space-based AA, but not ground based.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 20, 2016, 10:15:19 pm »

The United Forenian Light Artillery Observation Aircraft model of 1941 is a copy and upgrade of the German Fl 282 "Hummingbird", which we may have stolen the plans for.

Simply put, the craft is a two-seat intermeshing rotor helicopter of the synchropter layout powered by a pair of 125hp engines, constructed mainly of aluminum tubing. The layout of the craft puts the pilot in the front (in an open cockpit), the engine and a radio set in the middle, and the observer in the rear, just prior to the tail. Provisions are made for the mounting of a UF-1924 machinegun for the observer to use, but should be optional.

The craft is also designed for the transportation of slung loads, and provisions are made for the triggering of some of the more firmly attached items, such as autocannon and a multi-tube launcher derived from the UF-RPG28.

It feels obligatory to put my reaction into words on the forum below.  I'll be putting the results up tommorrow as it is late, but here's the reaction to tide you over:

You're taking a helicopter variety that from what I can tell has only had one single-seat model produced only six times, and are then assuming you have stolen plans of a helicopter that is not introduced into military service for more than a year.  A model of which only twenty-four are built.  Hell, flight testing of the two prototypes is only occurring throughout this in-game year!  OH, and let's not forget the gun you are adding to it.  As well as having it transport stuff when the model was used for reconnaissance.  As well as having an ability to fire the stuff being transported.  And this is also you're first attempt at making a helicopter...
There are no words I have to descr-.  Wait, yes there are.  -Evil GM laugh-
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 10:38:27 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 20, 2016, 10:58:39 pm »

The United Forenian Light Artillery Observation Aircraft model of 1941 is a copy and upgrade of the German Fl 282 "Hummingbird", which we may have stolen the plans for.

Simply put, the craft is a two-seat intermeshing rotor helicopter of the synchropter layout powered by a pair of 125hp engines, constructed mainly of aluminum tubing. The layout of the craft puts the pilot in the front (in an open cockpit), the engine and a radio set in the middle, and the observer in the rear, just prior to the tail. Provisions are made for the mounting of a UF-1924 machinegun for the observer to use, but should be optional.

The craft is also designed for the transportation of slung loads, and provisions are made for the triggering of some of the more firmly attached items, such as autocannon and a multi-tube launcher derived from the UF-RPG28.

It feels obligatory to put my reaction into words on the forum below.  I'll be putting the results up tommorrow as it is late, but here's the reaction to tide you over:

You're taking a helicopter variety that from what I can tell has only had one single-seat model produced only six times, and are then assuming you have stolen plans of a helicopter that is not introduced into military service for more than a year.  A model of which only twenty-four are built.  Hell, flight testing of the two prototypes is only occurring throughout this in-game year!  OH, and let's not forget the gun you are adding to it.  As well as having it transport stuff when the model was used for reconnaissance.  As well as having an ability to fire the stuff being transported.  And this is also you're first attempt at making a helicopter...
There are no words I have to descr-.  Wait, yes there are.  -Evil GM laugh-

See we should have gone with my fake airplanes.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #204 on: September 20, 2016, 11:42:27 pm »

Why are helicopters going to be more successful at not being shot down than other aircraft? Shouldn't we be focusing on how to shoot down the ETOs?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #205 on: September 21, 2016, 12:03:18 am »

Make sizeable satchel charges, with some thermite or something, get some of the glorious Arstotzkan motocyclemen charging tanks of old and tell them to drop it on enemy.
There is nothing that excessive use of explosives can't solve.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 21, 2016, 03:33:16 am »

can we just assume the design is meant to be "like that, but different", rather than "yes, stealing plans is actually part of the design"?

It may be ambitious, but we must be if we want to fight off the aliens. They are so far up technologically and they are acting more intelligently than in games ( in games they have the decency of not shooting incoming transports when landed and not running away when soldiers engage), we can only beat them by doing giant leaps.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 21, 2016, 05:36:05 am »

Nope, ambition is weak, it is too late for ambition to save us, we need mania!

I am not convinced that they are shooting down transports while landed. It really does take a long time for paratroopers to be flown over, dropped, land, shake the butterflies out of their heads, build a combat force from whatever happens to have landed nearby, walk to the battlefield, and then fight. Although I suppose having the sense to casually stroll back to your ship and press the 'Orbit' button when dozens of armed thugs charge out of the woodwork demonstrates a good deal more intellect than the average X-com effort. And requiring several hours to just jump out, shoot the place up a bit or collect some samples does seem rather absurd, but it worked for the game...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 21, 2016, 08:53:56 am »

Spoiler: From wikipedia on it (click to show/hide)
Highly Opinionated Fool

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #209 on: September 21, 2016, 10:11:16 am »

Get a Focke-Achgelis Fa 223 instead. Drache will be much funnier to draw, carries more troops and shit, and in general is much-better. It was like the first helicopter ever to recieve weapons too, with machine gun in nose and able to carry bombs.
Or we could go for some sweet-ass huge autogyros.
Or a Weserflug P.1003.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 10:19:26 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26