Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26

Author Topic: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (Seeking replacement GM)  (Read 32495 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (First Half of 1941, Design)
« Reply #150 on: September 19, 2016, 03:15:13 pm »

Adding seats is as simple as bolting on a few more tubes and stretching cloth, there are no internal crew spaces.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 19, 2016, 03:25:46 pm »

I am sure of that. What I am concerned of is that during the revision we might have to choose between adding those seats or fixing this or that problem which makes the copter explode.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 19, 2016, 03:26:05 pm »

I've seen the question of how assaults were so unsuccessful, and I'll clarify: the UFO's are using their superior range to take out any hostile aircraft that exist in the surrounding area before they launch their abduction attempts.  The few assaults that did occur were a result of the aliens either not seeing the paratrooper craft due to a mountain, or a crashed craft left survivors that attempt to take the Aliens on.  Latter resulted in a squad wipeout and former resulted in the Aliens buggering off after an only limited engagement.  Other times of near contact, the Aliens were able to take out enough that no assault could be made in time.

Hope that information helps, at least, and I'm sorry it didn't come earlier.  Turn was late at night and I was a bit busy in the times after.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 19, 2016, 04:14:44 pm »

I'd vote for the helicopter in a four-passenger variant.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 19, 2016, 04:17:09 pm »

I really have to return to advocating my manned missiles. The fundamental problem continues to be that they can take off. One hostile will be killed eventually by our forces, but it can easily hold us off long enough to get the door closed and take to the skies. The helicopters 'might' be able to surprise them but in all likelihood will be noisy and slow enough at landing that they can be responded to. We really need something that can stop landed craft from taking off, and that means something that can sneak n close and put a massive dent in the enemy propulsion systems... My proposal of a, say, 320mm kinetic artillery round on the end of a long-range guided rocket ought to suffice. A dozen bombers launching two-dozen missiles at a landed opponent really ought to leave some salvageable wreckage and a hostile craft that cannot take off really ought to succumb to our forces given enough time.

+1 UF-SAM-41 because it offers useful technology, although I expect the installation and thus the guidance systems to be roasted as soon as they launch...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 19, 2016, 04:49:50 pm »

Oof, yer going to try getting kinetic kills with long range remote guidance rockets with 1941 tech? Good luck.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2016, 05:34:23 pm »

I would like to remind you that we're facing aliens here. Aliens that are night-unbeatable even by near-future tech-level standards.
So, yeah...
Good luck.

Though, I must say that there is proably nothing that a good amount of explosives can't solve. Or tigers.
Tigers are clearly the key to solve it all.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2016, 05:50:47 pm »

Kot, you where Arsotzkian, remember? We are obsessed with confusing but logical naming conventions and trying to drag logic into things, not tigers.
Highly Opinionated Fool

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2016, 07:11:55 pm »

Oof, yer going to try getting kinetic kills with long range remote guidance rockets with 1941 tech? Good luck.
Me? No. I am voting for that because I want the technology and I don't see the helicopters achieving anything. I am trying to get kinetic kills using conventional gun technology by way of an artillery shell combined with rocket technology and guided by a pilot that is seated in the vehicle and generally trying to hit a target that is already on the ground(Although if an airborne opponent engages them then they may as well launch and try their luck... A manual detonator on the artillery would help, maybe, but with no barrel it is unlikely to hit anything at range enough for it to matter...). But I cannot vote for my own proposal, so I am voting for the one with exciting technologies rather than a helicopter that will still be unable to stop the enemy from just leaving as soon as our forces arrive. I just see more of a future in piloted missiles than I do in stealth helicopters...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #159 on: September 19, 2016, 07:29:30 pm »

Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 19, 2016, 07:59:43 pm »

You remember those where infected with STDs, inorder to weaken their armies, right?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 19, 2016, 08:09:21 pm »

As though a Moskurger couldn't spot a disease-ridden tiger with Arstotzkan sympathies from a mile away.

I'll vote for the Helicopter for now, because while I think a SAM is the best way by far to bring down the alien craft, I'm not too enthusiastic about the "manned by a pilot" portion of the thing and I'm not too confident in other targeting solutions either.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 19, 2016, 09:26:56 pm »

You know since aircraft probably aren't going to work out too well in the long run, maybe next design phase we should do a APC, since those would help deal with the whole shot out of the sky not.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 19, 2016, 10:48:47 pm »

As though a Moskurger couldn't spot a disease-ridden tiger with Arstotzkan sympathies from a mile away.

I'll vote for the Helicopter for now, because while I think a SAM is the best way by far to bring down the alien craft, I'm not too enthusiastic about the "manned by a pilot" portion of the thing and I'm not too confident in other targeting solutions either.
The S.A.M. is remote-controlled. The pilot is in my guided missile proposal. Radio controlled missiles won't do much in a 2400kph battle, and the pilots will most likely be located and torched, or the radio signals get jammed, or something, but no pilots are included in the construction of Kashyyk's UF-SAM-41.

I see the following proposals:
Observation helicopter: useful, but prone to getting blowed up. But getting some heavy artillery onto landed craft is one way of keeping them landed...
Dive-bomber: I like the idea, but a conventional plane just seems too prone to getting blowed up. We already have dive-bombers and they haven't even gotten close.
Air-launched anti-ground Pilot-Guided missile: Our pilots and planes are dropping like flies as it is, so there is no real difference in whether or not the craft is capable of landing without leaving a hole in the ground, and pilots make decent guidance systems for missiles if they can handle the acceleration, and we already have, what, solid fuel? you can do a lot with basic rocketry... We need something dynamic to get our first few salvages and this is it!
Ground-launched anti-air Radio-guided missiles: A nice idea, but it just won't work, the guidance is too tricky and vulnerable, the required performance is a bit too much to hope for, and the control installations will probably be too expensive to field over enough terrain nor maintain view of the engagement.

Umm, and maybe a 4-seat transport version of the observation helicopter? Did that ever get an official nomination?

So there are two-different missile proposals. One has a pilot and is awesome and should get all of the votes and you won't regret it! the other is also awesome but too ambition and will sadly face-plant with no surviving acne. There is a dive-bomber too which sadly is not ambition enough to deal with space-aliens and some sort of helicopter nonsense that will never respond quickly enough to deal with the fact that the enemy can win a battle by just leaving at a moment's notice...

But yes, once again, there aretwo different missile proposals. there seems to be some confusion as to what exactly is involved in each.
Read the First Post!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #164 on: September 19, 2016, 11:58:12 pm »

You remember those where infected with STDs, inorder to weaken their armies, right?
That's my point...
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26