Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26

Author Topic: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (Seeking replacement GM)  (Read 32437 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (Second Half of 1940, Revision)
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2016, 06:16:11 pm »

Well! not exactly what I hoped, but this one actually has decent coverage of the land. Further improvements can wait.

The reverse engineering in a tough choice.
Alloys might offer a direct advantage if we find ways to shape them or, at the very least, it will give us insight on how to pierce them

Successfully understanding the power source would give fantastic rewards, but it might be harder.

Well, between the 2 I pick.... sleep! I'll see the discussion and decide tomorrow :P ( late night here)
edit:or other people reach a consesus before tomorrow, and I wake up to a full turn. That would be awesome.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 06:26:22 pm by andrea »

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2016, 06:17:41 pm »

Alloys

Because that might lead to Ore cost reductions eventually and it will probably help prevent things from blowing up when we do research the power source.

@Radio v Radar: They're both roughly in the same field so improvements to one will likely allow greater improvements to the other once we spend actions on it.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2016, 06:25:09 pm »

Yah, that would be quite bad for all of us.

-ninja edit-

32 and 40mm can merged, probably along with 16mm. Remember that we currently have a 20mm autocannon round that does not need to be merged with anything since the large caliber MGs Moskurg used have been phased out for 30 caliber models.

Currently, we seem to have:
9mm for all of our pistols and submachine guns. We probably dont need to change this.
7.62x39mm and .208 intermediate rifle rounds. We should choose one or the other, or replace both.

-4x ninja edit-

I vote alloys. Use in the Tiger armor should help some, and we can always wheel out a tank with some of it.
7.62x54mmR as semi-auto rifle and LMG
.30(something), used in bolt action and GPMG
20x100mm autocannon
30mm rocket-propelled grenade
41mm cannon shell
75mm cannon shell
80mm mortars
80mm cannon rounds
92mm cannon shell
102mm cannon shell

Speaking of LMG and GPMG, I dont see too much of a difference between the two save for pre-existing belt feed options and higher rate of fire on the Sorraia and the fact that the UF-1924 is a fair deal lighter. We may want to design one thing to replace both, though I see arguments for why to keep both aswell.

Artillery really needs work, we have five different rounds each used by only a single thing, and then the mortars, RPGs and autocannon.

-edit-

Right, why did we get rid of the nearly twice as large magazines for the cascade/AS-MC16? They should still fit, and the "suggestive comment" reasoning is silly. Plus, it also removes all the changes made to the stocks like pistol grips and foregrips.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 06:43:47 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (Second Half of 1940, Reverse Engineering)
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2016, 06:36:11 pm »

ok, lets do Alloys. This way, perhaps I wake up to a turn :P

our artillery likely needs an overhaul, yes. Not sure how much of a priority it is, but a new piece of artillery to replace everything could be useful. Self propelled likely, due to the nature of our current war.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2016, 06:51:13 pm »

Right, so, I found some things out while trolling for data. First off, none of the Moskurgian ammunition(save for .35 caliber pistol rounds) gives a length anywhere.

Secondly, Zan threw out a MP40 with a 56 round magazine in favor of a MP18 because of a magazine that can be concerted suggestively shaped to the drunk. Gee, thanks Zan. You know those where optional, right?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2016, 07:00:03 pm »

Secondly, Zan threw out a MP40 with a 56 round magazine in favor of a MP18 because of a magazine that can be concerted suggestively shaped to the drunk. Gee, thanks Zan. You know those where optional, right?

Taricus stated they were pretty much identical, unlike the Assault Rifles, so I just picked one and attempted to make a slight jest as to why the other isn't used.  Was easier to make the jest at the expense of the MP40 than the MP18
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2016, 07:19:43 pm »

The Arstotzkian has forward and pistol grips, along with lighter weight.
Highly Opinionated Fool

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2016, 07:21:47 pm »

ok, lets do Alloys. This way, perhaps I wake up to a turn :P

our artillery likely needs an overhaul, yes. Not sure how much of a priority it is, but a new piece of artillery to replace everything could be useful. Self propelled likely, due to the nature of our current war.
+1
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2016, 07:32:26 pm »

We probably need two or three pieces, to cover tank guns, howitzers and heavy tank cannons/AA artillery, but even that would get rid of 2 or 3 types of ammo to worry about.
Highly Opinionated Fool

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2016, 02:52:49 am »

yes, I was thinking about the howitzer when I talked about using just one. Basically, one shell size per role.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2016, 04:20:45 am »

While this doesn't prove anything, I am pretty sure that the alien invasion would be one of few things that could stop WW2 dead in the tracks and make Allies, Soviets and Axis fight together against the new threat, so I wouldn't worry that much about fighting other humans.

I would rather focus heavily on AA, since we can't get capable fighters without jet engines...
...that or tigers, but I can't say more about that.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2016, 04:44:53 am »

I hope the revision goes well. After all the fighting I did over this, it would be embarassing if it failed horribly.
i
I'll admit it.  I laughed when I saw this come up due to the new post warning.
Well. Yes. But at least it's no longer complex!

As for the reverse-engineering, definitely alloys. Researching the power source will give us the result of "it might as well be magic", while researching the alloys will probably give us "it might as well be magic, but here's how to destroy it".

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2016, 04:51:32 am »

This valiant Tiger Patriot votes for Alloys.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2016, 05:30:38 am »

@kot
yes, but I think we are keeping this war a secret, to keep all the glory and fight for ourselves.

@3_1415p
not only it is no longer complex, it also more than doubled its range. Now our version of the chain home is feasible and we laid the basis for vehicle mounted radars. It is not excellent, but it is far from a terrible result.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2016, 05:34:21 am »

I would rather focus heavily on AA, since we can't get capable fighters without jet engines...
We don't need capable, and rockets can get us insane-but-gets-results interceptors. I mean, we are going to be losing pilots regardless...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26