Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26

Author Topic: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (Seeking replacement GM)  (Read 32476 times)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (First Half of 1941, Design)
« Reply #135 on: September 19, 2016, 07:47:14 am »

How about we design a explosive charge so that the troops can actually breach the ships. Since that's one of the issues of why they got slaughtered to a man and would help prevent them from taking off due to the tagged hole in the side.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 19, 2016, 07:52:33 am »

I don't think we actually know what has caused all of our troops to die in contact due to them all dying and not being able to report back about what happened.

I'm in support of the Helicopters or the Skyrangers. If we do go for the Skyranger, we might be able to put some focus on the landing gear such that it can be used to deliver thinga regardless of the availability of an airfield rather than just acting as a mass paratrooper deployer.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 19, 2016, 09:33:24 am »

We have anti tank portable charges already, but if we are following the game, no quantity of conventional explosive will breach an UFO.
And as far as we know it was not even a problem: they might just be killed before they reach the UFO walls.

Currently aseaheru's copter design has a motorcycle engine. I wonder if we culd put something more powerful in it? we need speed for the attack crafts and plenty of weight for transports ( realistically, we can perhaps aim at 4 fully armored passengers?)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 19, 2016, 11:47:18 am »

Well, our motorcycle engine is rather powerful, and the rotor layout is one of tghe most powerful ones out there.

Yah, Im probably overestimating the power of that engine. Ill go update the design.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 19, 2016, 11:55:16 am »

UF-LAOA-41 then. if it works, we can attach autocannons and RPG for a somewhat decent ground attack copter, and I believe it is a good revision away from being a transport. Not a big transport, but unlike X-COM we are not limited to one transport per battle.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2016, 12:35:11 pm »

What about some Baumgärtl Heliofly? Helicopter paratroopers with motorcycle engines!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 19, 2016, 12:37:16 pm »

We could try that, but it looks like they dont have much in the way of equipment capacity. Plus, it means training every man to be a pilot.
Highly Opinionated Fool

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2016, 12:47:16 pm »

My main issue with the helicopter is that, right now, it doesn't help us with anything: It's useful for artillery coordination, but we cannot deploy artillery fast enough. It could deploy people later on, but right now it's not powerful enough. It could mount weapons, except not right now.

Therefore I'd say that - if we go for helicopters - we start with a bigger design.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2016, 12:56:24 pm »

are you sure it isn't powerful enough? Aseaheru just added more engine power to the proposal. a revision should allow us to enlarge the body enough to carry at least 2 more people, possibly 4 more.

That means 4-6 soldier per transport helicopter, including the pilots. Plus air supports from the same helicopter.

That said, perhaps we should not start with a 2 seater anyway. Maybe start with a 4 seat design? it should not be a too big leap.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2016, 01:16:21 pm »

Spoiler: UF-SAM-41 (click to show/hide)

I appreciate that this is rather ambitious, but I have my reasons for it:

- Our radio tech is way behind the rest of the world now, so I expect leaps and bounds in this, even if everything else fails
- If we can shoot down a UFO, then the army will be able to get there with all their gear, instead of having to rely on under-equipped paratroopers
- Missiles are the only things that are going to be anywhere near fast enough to catch a UFO
- Making use of our superior numbers in a non-suicidal way is always a good idea
- This paves the way for more reliable methods of targeting, such as onboard homing
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:55:07 pm by Kashyyk »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2016, 01:34:00 pm »

Transistors havent really been invented yet. There are FETs, which are fragile as can be and eat power, but tahts about it.

My idea for the helicopter currently is should it work, and work the way it should, we can add bits to the sides to allow a few troops (Im currently thinking we should be able to get a total of eight on) to ride along.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2016, 01:55:37 pm »

Modified the designed based on the lack of transistors.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2016, 02:02:38 pm »

I'll vote for the Helo  since it's the most pratical.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 19, 2016, 02:26:12 pm »

I'm also voting for the Helicopter but think that we should start working on the SAM system next design turn.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 19, 2016, 03:13:42 pm »

yes, the SAM seems to be a worthy project.

But for this turn I stick to the copter. Although I still want to pressure the lead designer of this project to consider the idea of making the base model a 4 seater, so that should a bug be found in the prototype we can fix it and still have a sort of transport this turn, rather than delaying the project.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26