Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26

Author Topic: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (Seeking replacement GM)  (Read 32446 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (Second Half of 1940, Reverse Engineering)
« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2016, 01:11:20 pm »

We should probably do that first, actually. Well, develop some form of liquid rocket. Unless we want a solid-fueled rocket interceptor. With all the work done with them in Arstotzka we probably could get a rocket interceptor powered by several sets of solid fuel engines, with some able to be triggered in flight.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2016, 02:13:37 pm »

Reverse Engineering Results

Alloys Report
The strange substances found within the base were created by methods far beyond our current understanding of material science.  They were able to identify the usage of Titanium in the material, but it is alloyed with unknown substances to increase the durability and lightweight nature even further, in addition to allowing the metal to be molded by strong magnetic fields.  This may allow for the creation of items from the substance, but only if we are able to recover alien craft at a reliable rate.  Even then, it would be at national effort levels.  The unknown substance is kept on file for future discovery.

Decision Phase
Select one deal and which weapon is sent to complete the deal.  Favoring one side of the war may result in random collaborations occuring, which will grant additional pieces of tech, and, if the favored side loses the war, some of their scientists coming to United Forenia with pieces of technology and designs to boost your own.  It should be noted that if the non-favored side wins, there will be trouble diplomatically in the post-war era...

Axis
1) The Italians are seeking for plans for a Tank, and have come to the Forenians for a design.  They are offering 1 Ore for the next two years in exchange for the plans.
2) Seeing the success of the weapons priorly bought, the Germans are requesting another design, in exchange for one of their own designs from their own recently setup design bureau.

Allies
1) The British, noting the capabilities of the rifles utilized by the Germans and remembering their origins, send a request to Forenia, asking for their own copies of the rifles.  In exchange, they are offering 1 Oil for the next two years.
2) The Chinese Nationalists have come to Forenia in search of a weapon for their guerilla forces, offering 1 Ore for the next two years in exchange.

Neutral
1) A mysterious organization is requesting a few samples of the old Recoilless Rifles, in exchange for a currently non-specific, but large reward.
2) Switzerland is requesting a weapon design to aid in the defense of their lands in case of an invasion.  In exchange, they offer to send any excess production your way, causing the given design to be reduced in expense by one for the next three years.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (Second Half of 1940, Decision)
« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2016, 02:23:56 pm »

I vote we aid the British, since we did just overthrow our own facist goverments not too long ago.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2016, 02:26:48 pm »

Neutral 1 Was persuaded

Unspecified random rewards? Sign me up!

The British are going to want our rifles til the end of the war so we can wait a bit.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 03:24:45 pm by somemildmanneredidiot »
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2016, 02:31:30 pm »

1) The Italians are seeking for plans for a Tank, and have come to the Forenians for a design.  They are offering 1 Ore for the next two years in exchange for the plans.
Meh. And Italians suck anyways.
2) Seeing the success of the weapons priorly bought, the Germans are requesting another design, in exchange for one of their own designs from their own recently setup design bureau.
It's Panzer I... or Heinkel He 178. Who knows?

1) The British, noting the capabilities of the rifles utilized by the Germans and remembering their origins, send a request to Forenia, asking for their own copies of the rifles.  In exchange, they are offering 1 Oil for the next two years.
Meh.
2) The Chinese Nationalists have come to Forenia in search of a weapon for their guerilla forces, offering 1 Ore for the next two years in exchange.
MEEEEH.

1) A mysterious organization is requesting a few samples of the old Recoilless Rifles, in exchange for a currently non-specific, but large reward.
It's Aliens studying the physics-bending capabilities of Recoiless Rifles. Don't.
2) Switzerland is requesting a weapon design to aid in the defense of their lands in case of an invasion.  In exchange, they offer to send any excess production your way, causing the given design to be reduced in expense by one for the next three years.
Give them Death Balls. In mountains it's actually a pretty decent idea, they can just roll over any invasion.

I vote we aid the British, since we did just overthrow our own facist goverments not too long ago.
Maybe Moskurgs, there was nothing fascist about our beautiful and free Arstotzka. Truly, Arstotzka was the best country until we let tiggers jump in.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2016, 02:38:22 pm »

if by fascist government you mean the part in which we engineers were blamed for everything, it was a stable government for what? 20 seconds?

anyway... some of those require us to design new things, which we might or might not want to do.

Will the italians be happy with our current tank designs? if not, I don't really see us developing a new good tank next turn. 

Germans may be interesting. They offer a design, which improves our action economy. They ask for a generic 'weapon' which might easily be taken from what we have or what we design next turn. Plus, we might get help with rocketry from a von braun guy they might have in their design bureau.

British just ask for our assault rifles, easy request. Do we need oil? could improve our air force, but the deal may expire before we actually get useful planes.

chinese are also basically asking for our assault rifles. more ore always help, I guess.

mysterous organization... I don't trust people who don't tell what they are paying

Switzerland... is reasonablyasking for our assault rifle again ( can't we just export it to everyone?), but given the nature of the reward, we should get a new design. Probably infantry weapon.

That said, I am not sure who we should support. I kind of like the german offer, especially if the design we get in in the form of a design credit which we can use in whatever way we want.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2016, 02:51:17 pm »

I would probably give the Swiss some sort of assault rifle.

Frankly, I dont see why we cant just give everything to everyone, besides the obvious alien spah that is.

-edit-

Actually, the Swiss could probably use a RPG more than an assault rifle.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 02:55:16 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 18, 2016, 03:04:01 pm »

Why would they want to research our Recoiless Rifles when they have superior tech and are directly abducting people to get what they want? If they really wanted it, they could just try to take it rather than attempting to negotiate for it.

My logic is that unless we focus almost solely on resource providing deals, we have about all the Ore and Oil we'll need for quite some time and won't be able to lower the expense of anything in a reasonable amount of time. Germany isn't likely to give us something we'll find especially useful unless we provide something really worth it which might not be possible.

So that leaves Switzerland and Unknown. Switzerland will basically provide enough supplies to lower the expense level of one thing, which could effectively be up to 3 Ore, making it the potentially best resource deal. Unknown is a gamble, but it's likely to provide something we would actually like or might have longer lasting benefits than 4 or 6 turns. It could even be a supply of that Alien Alloy we just researched.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 18, 2016, 03:05:27 pm »

This might be a stupid question, but how do we transfer technology? Does the design have to exist, or can we design it in the future?

That being said - the Swiss want a design that can help with the defense of their homeland. How about we give them our radar? Early warning and fighter direction, and in return it becomes only Expensive for the next three years!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #114 on: September 18, 2016, 03:08:20 pm »

Why would they want to research our Recoiless Rifles when they have superior tech and are directly abducting people to get what they want? If they really wanted it, they could just try to take it rather than attempting to negotiate for it.
They possibly don't have superior tech. After all, those Recoiless Rifles break laws of physics and work way better than they should, so there's that.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 18, 2016, 03:08:47 pm »

3, you actually had a great idea. radar is a design we want to reduce cost of, and it certainly helps switzerland.

plus, being neutrals, we are not cutting bridges with either side

I vote RDF to switzerland

I reserve the right to change my mind should the germany deal turn out to be a design credit rather than a random german design chosen by GM

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2016, 03:31:05 pm »

+1 RDF to Switzerland

I'd forgotten that we made that.

Collecting Votes. If yours isn't in here presume I wasn't sure if you were directly voting.

Votes so far:
RDF to Switzerland: 2 (3 if Pi's suggestion is a vote for it)
British: 1

@Technology Transfer: It seems that this game is using a "designs first then offers" approach so as to prevent people from trying to specifically design something for an offer ahead of time.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 18, 2016, 03:36:31 pm »

That seems like a reasonable idea to me. Perhaps they will even come up with a few improvements for it.

+1 for RDF to Swiss
Highly Opinionated Fool

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 18, 2016, 03:41:47 pm »

RDF to Switzerland: 2 (3 if Pi's suggestion is a vote for it)
It is.

+1 RDF to Switzerland

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2016, 03:48:07 pm »

Votes so far

-RDF to switzerlad ( war aid plan "pi")

3_14159
somemildmanneredidiot
andrea
aseaheru

It seems this is going to be a short turn. Can't wait to see the 'battle' results.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26