Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What weapon skill do pickaxes use?  (Read 850 times)

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What weapon skill do pickaxes use?
« on: June 06, 2008, 07:18:00 pm »

I'm planning a new fortress (of course), and I was wondering if pickaxes in combat used hammer skill, axe skill, or mining skill?

I want to make sure (because I'm a dirty fecking cheater, yarrr!) that all of my dwarves can grab a sword and fight the horde (metaphorically - most likely they'll be grabbing hammers), but I was thinking that if the miners are going to have picks in their hands all day, and because I make most if not all of my dwarves miners, if I could just set up their hammer skill and have them serve as an "okay enough" defense force until I get some good, draftable peasents.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: What weapon skill do pickaxes use?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 07:22:00 pm »

The pick does indeed use mining skill to attack.  While the pick is not a great weapon, it does have a high critical chance, and since it uses the same skill they build while working, experienced miners will make mincemeat out of whatever you send them against.  I've had Master miners take on kobolds and send limbs flying all the way out of my fortress.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 07:40:00 pm »

Picks, as far as their stats are concerned, are spears with a 40% damage reduction.  They do indeed use the miming skill in combat.

This lets you have several "weaponmasters" in your fortress who will continue to work and do as you tell them.  However, miners will not normally wear armor.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 08:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
They do indeed use the miming skill in combat.

;)

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 08:01:00 pm »

That would be enough to make any number of Goblins throw down their weapons and flee.

Karpatius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 01:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by ShadowDragon8685:
<STRONG>That would be enough to make any number of Goblins throw down their weapons and flee.</STRONG>

I thought gobbo's were too stupid and stubborn to flee before they lose a limb or atleast see an <Adamantium> in front of their face rocketing towards the back of their head at great speed and force?

[ June 09, 2008: Message edited by: Karpatius ]

Karpatius cancels Eat: thirsty.
Karpatius cancels Drink: no water source.
Karpatius cancels Drink: no water source.
Karpatius has died of thirst.

Anfold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 01:26:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Karpatius:
<STRONG>

I thought gobbo's were too stupid and stubborn to flee before they lose a limb or at least see an <Adamantium> in front of their face rocketing towards the back of their head at great speed and force?

</STRONG>

You sir have never encountered the true horror of the dwarven pantomime arts.  I will forever be scarred by Urist McArtdwarf's interpretative dance version of the god Embracing Tentacles' (domains love, torture and depravity) ascent to power.  Though the god was absent, its presence could be still felt, its omnipresence.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 01:30:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Karpatius:
<STRONG>

I thought gobbo's were too stupid and stubborn to flee before they lose a limb or atleast see an <Adamantium> in front of their face rocketing towards the back of their head at great speed and force?

[ June 09, 2008: Message edited by: Karpatius ]</STRONG>

No, you just have to kill a certain percentage and the rest will rout.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 01:56:00 am »

Alternatively, lock them all into a killing fields and murder them.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 03:12:00 am »

I had my unarmoured uberminer (legendary miner, max stats) get ambushed by a squad of macegobs and a squad of speargobs at the same time.

Suffice to say he survived long enough for my champion squad to sprint a goodly distance from their own gob squad and save his hide. He racked up four kills, and only got a yellow hand, which healed in very short order.

So, yeah, miners kick arse with their picks.

The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.