Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dreamshield The only pleasant thing is the name  (Read 1732 times)

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dreamshield The only pleasant thing is the name
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 09:24:00 pm »

Chapter 1 Part 2: Merchant Madness.

1st of Limestone: It is ready. The bridge is in place, and I’ve just need to pull this lever to get the bridge to raise creating a wall sealing the entire fortress from harm. Watch as it retracts?
   What IDIOT built the bridge to retract. Do you MORONS get the concept of sealing an entrance; also know as physically blocking it. Do you think you can do that by making a bridge retract? The bridge is supposed to go up you idiots. Argh.

3rd of Limestone: It is ready. The bridge is in place, and I’ve just need to pull this lever to get the bridge to rise creating a wall sealing the entire fortress from harm. And this time it actually works.

17th of Limestone: Today the first caravan arrived. Until this point, no one in the outside world knew of the condition of the wasteland we inhabited. The merchants were in disbelief that we had chosen to build our fort here. I told them of the baron’s idiocy and learned that’s he’s struck again. He told the merchants to expect every inch of the fort to be coated in solid gold. So they brought a whole two wagons, where we could barely afford a single anvil, leaving dozens of items untouched,
   Also with the caravan came the Liaison. He asked what the fort needed. I told him to bring wood and drink, as the area lacks either. He said that he would see what he could do.

23rd of Sandstone: A grave tragedy has occurred. One of the merchants was attacked by a fire imp as he was leaving. It’s always a sad day when a fellow dwarf dies...
   Wait I’ve just received an update. The merchant lived, but the wagon was destroyed, and they’ve abandoned its contents, include two sets of steel platemail. Can you say free stuff?

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 09:49:00 pm »

Heres another update.

Part 1: The new year.

1st of Granite. One year. For one year I’ve lived here. And despite the dismal surrondings the fortress itself is in good shape. Since the merchants left little has happened. We were able to salavage a few items from the destroyed wagon, but the rest were taken by unseen theives. I suspect kobolds, but the number of thefts can not be a good sign.
   In other news a grand channel has been carved to bring magma closer to the fortress proper. The last few feet of obsidian have been dealt with, and the magma is very slowly moving towards where we will eventually build forges.

11th of Granite: Another caravan, this time unfortantly belonging to the elves. However they brought two items of intrest, a tamed wolf and a tamed hippo. I’m thinking of giving them as a “gift” to the baron. While they pale to some of the monsters I’ve seen, it would only be fitting for him to be living with dangerous beasts as well.

21st of Granite: It started off as an ordinary day. The elves were still staying at the trade depot, despite all the trading I intended to do having long been completed. I was working as far away from the depot as possible, but I still heard a cry of theif ring out.
A single kobold thief had approached the trade depot in search of richs but the thief had the unfortante luck to run across Dreamshields large dog population, who then chased the thief straight into an ambush. At first all that was seen was more thiefs and a swordsman, who were dispatched with few injuries. But as the dogs were returning 4 archers opened fire inflicting considerable wounds. It was then that I pulled the lever to seal the gate, with all the surving dogs safely inside.
The archers didn’t go away. Skanky with all his military training was in favor of a frontal assult, but we had no weapons, our only axe haven been stolen. When you think things through the thief was likely a kobold, and the whole time they had just been softening us up. Finally I decided that I would send the dogs out again, while us dwarfs waited safely behind locked doors.
The dogs begain their counterattack. A few were killed by archers, but the archers then fled never to be seen again. In the end we lost 3 wardogs, and 7 puppies that were following them, and at least one puppy is alive but injured. It is a shame to see such deaths among those that faithfuly protected us.

17th of slate: Our first band of migrants arrived today, apparently lured by utter lies the baron told them. No this fortress is not made of solid gold, no there is no waterfall, no there is no swimming pool of beer. The baron is apparently getting more idiotic by the day if the stories he is telling is anything to go by.

I have twenty migrants up for the taking. ColonelTEE3  I've already set aside a carpenter for you as per your request.

There are:
Three miners
1 Trapper
1 weaponsmith
1 armorer
1 metalcrafter
1 woodcrafter
1 leatherworker
2 clothiers
1 miller
1 herbalist
1 seige engineer
5 peasants
1 child

Also the future position of sherrif is free for the first person that wants it. I don't care if your claiming a migrant or already a dwarf.

A map is available here

Finally updates will probally be fairly irregular. I apologize in advance.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 11:27:00 pm »

Thank you for heeding my request  :)
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 11:46:00 pm »

Journal of Moira Laborchant,

21st of Granite, 1052
Filthy kobolds. For how long they've plagued our noble race, I cannot say, and even in this forsaken land, we've had our share of troubles with them. Even when we first arrived, they stole from us, taking our only axe, but today, they've gone too far. Shooting up our dogs is as good as a declaration of war! If I'd only had a good mace and a solid suit of mail, I'd have gone out there and given them a piece of my mind, but alas...

18th of Slate
Imagine my surprise when I emerged from the fort, after mining non-stop for the last few days, to find a group of strange dwarves being led inside by our 'glorious leader.' Heh. Apparently, they were sent by the Baron... and it was obvious from the moment I first saw them that they had been expecting something very different from what they saw. But among them are an armorsmith and a weaponsmith, and a good many able-bodied dwarves... perhaps it's time to try and form some sort of defense against the damned kobolds that plague us near-constantly... as well as the other dangers of this forsaken place.

(Do we have any ores? I think I see some on the map, in the big staircase, what kind is it? Also, you can make Moira the Sheriff, if you want.    :D )

[ February 10, 2008: Message edited by: Tyrving ]

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 02:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrving:
<STRONG>
(Do we have any ores? I think I see some on the map, in the big staircase, what kind is it?]</STRONG>

We have plenty of ores. The only ones I've dug out so far are copper and aluminum, but I've spotted exposed deposits of gold, garnierite(nickel), iron, and galena(lead/silver). The ore in the staircase is copper.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2008, 05:43:00 pm »

Good story, lots of these at this forum.

Electrum is an alloy from gold and silver, i you don't know that, there is no "electrum ore".

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 02:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Linthar:
<STRONG>

We have plenty of ores. The only ones I've dug out so far are copper and aluminum, but I've spotted exposed deposits of gold, garnierite(nickel), iron, and galena(lead/silver). The ore in the staircase is copper.</STRONG>

Nice. How about flux? I think I see some, but I'm not sure.

[ February 12, 2008: Message edited by: Tyrving ]

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 02:42:00 pm »

I want that armorer! Call him... Call him... Call him Fwiffo!

He's extremely fearful of what he calls the "Ultimate Evil", although what the Ultimate Evil is he's not quite sure. It lurks away in unreachable corners and plots, and that is, indeed, proof of it's nefarious intent. That's why he's an armorer, because armour protects. For some reason though, he refuses to don any, instead preferring his normal clothes.

Alright, how many people are either nerdy or old enough to recognize this one?

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 03:02:00 pm »

Dibs on a male peasant. Any ties will be decided by which god that is worshiped is more awesome.
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

EvilBobtheALMIGHTY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 09:13:00 pm »

I claim a new miner, but I request some practice in blacksmithing skills. Just to be safe.

Name: Evil Bob.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2008, 06:08:00 pm »

Updates soon, i hope..?

leather coat

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2008, 08:28:00 pm »

I present to you one update.

Chapter 2 part 2: Abbeyworks

12th of Felsite: I awoke to find the weaponsmith that had just arrived watching me his eyes glowing red. In a demonic voice he said “BUILD ME A FORGE”
   “But the magma hasn’t risen high enough yet and we have no charcoal. It will be useless.”
   BUILD ME A FORGE.
   I gave the order and the forge was built. The next command was
   “GET ME SOME METAL”.
   A lot of frantic mining, setting up of wood furnaces and smelters, and yelling at the 3 different dwarves that I told to be furnace operators running off to get drinks followed.

13th of Hematite: While we were trying to please the possessing demon one of my fellow dwarves came up to me.
   “The human caravan has arrived.”
   “Tell them we’re busy.”
   A few seconds later
   “There’s a goblin snatcher.”
   “Tell it we’re busy wait did you say goblin snatcher.”
   Of course before I could do anything the human guards had already killed it. It was really a foolish time to infiltrate the fort.

18th  of Hematite The demon possessed weapon smith has finally started work. He’s using one bar of iron, two of aluminum and a giant rat hide. I wonder what fell weapon he’s planning on creating.

22nd of Hematite: It’s a spike. A spike. Worth over twice as much as the entire fortress. It’s worth 122400 and it’s just a spike. With spikes on it. So much for a weapon of terrible potency. Now if you excuse my, I have to deal with the crushing loss of self esteem from my entire fortress being worth less then a single spike.

I'm going to be away from the computer that has dwarf fortress on it for a few days, but when I'm back I'll post profiles for all the newly named dwarves.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008, 02:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Linthar:
<STRONG>Now if you excuse my, I have to deal with the crushing loss of self esteem from my entire fortress being worth less then a single spike.</STRONG>

I lol'ed at that  :) Thanks for the update.

leather coat

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008, 07:10:00 pm »

A lot of bad news in this update:
Part 3: Goblin Attack

24th of Galena: The forges are finally operational, with weapons and armor flowing out. I’ve made Moria and Skanky into the beginnings of a military as per their wishes.

1st of Limestone: I have run into a problem. The volcano has become unstable, and lava is pouring out of the crater. I have ordered channels dug to contain the flow. Hopefully the forges will be safe.

5th of Limestone: Imp was taken by a fey mood today. He pleaded for cut gems which were easy to acquire. Then after a few days he produced this:

I would love to add that to my room, but Imp insists on carrying it around on his person

18th of Limestone: Today a snatcher arrived, who grabbed the forts only child before being torn apart by our new military. Moments later the caravan arrived bringing pitifully little wood, but much precious drink. I’ve made it abundantly clear that I expect more wood next time the caravan arrives.

10th of timber: 8 migrants have arrived. Once again they were expecting a fort made out of solid gold. I’ve ordered bedrooms dug, although this group is lacking in useful skills.

17th of moonstone: Disaster. The goblins have sent a raiding party. Two dwarves were outside at the time and were struck down. Things would have been grim, if not for the valiant effort of Moria. She bravely held the goblins off but was felled by a barrage of arrows. However her sacrifice and that of a newly arrived macedwarf gave us time to pull the lever to seal the fort off. 10 goblins now wait outside and we stand no chance at driving them off.

21st of moonstone: Dark times have gotten darker. A demon has visited the fortress taking over a glassworker. He speaks of a great work he must make, but no workshop I can build will please him. He just lurks by the entrance waiting.

6th of obsidian: The demon has gone berserk. He only lasted a few seconds before the dogs tore him apart, but that was enough to severely wound a nearby planter. The planters been brought to his bed, but with no water, recovery is unlikely.

10th of granite: It’s been two months since the goblins came, enough time for the start of a new year. At last they’ve fled. I was amazed as to why. Elves. At the exact same time the goblins were fleeing the elven caravan arrived. The last few goblins ran right past it not even stopping to attack.
    Do the elves have some secret power that scares these beasts? No that can’t be right, elves are wimps. That can only mean that they are working with the goblins on some sinister plan. The goblins didn’t flee; this is all part of their plot.
   But while we were locked in the mountain dire events were occurring.

The goblins had delayed us long enough that the lava had overflowed the channels I had dug. Suddenly there plan was clear. The elves weren’t working with them; they were being used as dupes. The elves would see the lava overflowing, threatening what scant nature can be found in this wasteland. They would assume that we were to blame. When they returned to their home, the goblins probably have a spy waiting to use such news to goad them to war.
   I’m forced to face a sad truth. I must abandon Dreamshield. While I do not fear the wrath of the elves, the volcano is out of control, and the region is no longer safe. An eruption will probably occur soon, and it will be best if I’m far away.
   But this is not the end. I’m going to take some of the survivors, and some of our supplies, and start a new fortress. Dreamshield has fallen. But Dreamhill will rise, and it will be the envy of the world.

OOC: The bug with volcanoes in this version took me by surprise. I thought that the lava could be easily contained, but at the rate its expanding it's going to require far to much effort to contain its expansion. By the time I realized the problem however I had played enough that reverting to an older save would be painful. Also the last ambush showed that I was woefully unprepared. This thread was my first experience with the new ambushes so I want to take the chance to redesign my fort so I have a chance to do something other then sit and wait two months.

The map is located here

As the journal suggests I'm planning on starting a new thread later this week. I'm going to use some of the surviving named dwarfs for my starting seven unless there are any objections. I'll see you then.

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 08:48:00 pm »

:(
Well, how many did she get? Also, I'd like one of the new dwarves, if that's all right. Unless you've already got a full seven, then I'll take one of the first migrants.

Name: Brann
Job: Axedwarf

Gonna pay them back, we are. In SPADES.

Pages: 1 [2] 3