Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dreamshield The only pleasant thing is the name  (Read 1734 times)

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dreamshield The only pleasant thing is the name
« on: February 06, 2008, 08:31:00 pm »

So I thought I'd try my hands at a community fortress. So without further ado the introduction.

Prologue Part 1: An unwelcome Destination
   The ungodly mucous bones-dune of sewers. Just as the name suggests a very unpleasant place. There is no water in sight, just the sun and barren stone. Legends say the area is cursed, that undead walk across the wastes killing all the living in sight. Needless to say it was the last place in the world I was planning on visiting. But recent events have conspired to send me there, to establish a fort, and if it’s even possible turn it into a jewel of dwarven civilization.

It was all the fault of the stupid baron. He commissioned me to lead an expedition to establish a new fort. He said he had learned of the perfect location, so nice that he had to name the fort Dreamshield, and it had an open magma vent and in his words “everything”. It is true, this hellhole does have magma. It’s about the only thing going for it, but there is magma. Of course the baron being the idiot he is, he didn’t look at any other features of the site. And I foolishly believed he had.

It was only when we arrived that we realized the baron’s error, and while we lacked sufficient supplies, to return to the mountain homes. Neither could we search the area for a more promising site, as this was where the caravans would look for us with their vital supplies.

It was time to start building.

You should know the drill by now. I need 6 dwarves. Give me name, skills, and gender. Given how miserable the location I've picked is I'll rather pick out supplies myself.

[ February 07, 2008: Message edited by: Linthar ]

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
Re: Dreamshield The only pleasant thing is the name
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 08:39:00 pm »

Sounds like an interesting place. Hopefully my curse won't bring this to an early grave.

Name:Imp
Proffessions: Miner, Mason, Mechanic

[ February 06, 2008: Message edited by: Impending Doom ]

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 08:44:00 pm »

Name: Penguino
Skills: Novice Herbalist, Grower, Novice Leatherworker, Cook, Competent Brewer, Novice Record Keeper

Of course, this will need the noble position of Bookkeeper. At least until/unless you decide to do the whole thing with training people in bookkeeping for strength and stuff.

[ February 06, 2008: Message edited by: penguinofhonor ]

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 08:48:00 pm »

Sounds like fun.

Name: Moira
Skills: Mining, Wrestling, turn 'er military (mace) once she hits legendary.

Edit: Or, if anyone else wants a miner, and you want a military dorf right off the bat, just stick a bunch of points in military skills!

[ February 06, 2008: Message edited by: Tyrving ]

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 09:04:00 pm »

Dude. Nice.
Name: Sigurd (Male)
Profession: 5 Engraving, 2 Wrestling (just to keep him alive), 3 Mining
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 10:14:00 pm »

Name: Skanky (male) or Viktoria (female)
Profession: Wrestling and either woodcutter or axe skill

Sorry, I fail at mapreading, so I can't tell if there are trees or not.

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 10:20:00 pm »

Mulch
Give him full growing and full brewing. After the fort becomes stable (or meets a horrible horrible end at the hooves of a skeletal elk) put him in pump operating till he gets some toughness and what not. After he gets pretty strong put him in the military with a sword.

[ February 06, 2008: Message edited by: Mulch Diggums ]

ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 10:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Skanky:
<STRONG>
Sorry, I fail at mapreading, so I can't tell if there are trees or not.</STRONG>

Technically there are trees, but theres only about 10 on the entire map. So I'll give you axe skill.

I'll get this fortress started tomorrow so expect an update then.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 10:57:00 pm »

I dont think there are any more dwarves from the original 7, but i would like to join once the immigration comes in. Just name mine "The Colonel", and i don't care what you do with him. If by some miracle there is enough diversity in your first wave, i would prefer to have my dwarf doing a job involving an axe some how. Axedwarf, woodcutter, carpenter, anything like that would be cool, but i'm fine if you don't.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 02:49:00 pm »

I've started carving out the fortress, but I thought I'd just post a quick update to introduce all of the dwarves.

Prologue part 2: Meet the dwarves
   I’m not sure if I’ve gotten across what a hellhole this place is, so let me help you visualize it. This is where our wagon ended up.

Do you see the barren red ground? Now imagine that that was all your eye can see. Sometimes the red ground is higher, sometimes it’s lower. Occasionally it’s black. But always barren.

In this featureless wasteland there are only two items of interest. First there’s the accursed magma that’s the only reason we’re here. It’s infested with fire imps, and is unsafe to use. Not that it matters given that the quartermaster neglected to give us an anvil. At least he sent a lot of wood.

The only other point of interest proves things can always get worse. There is a great wound in the earth, filled with vicious beasts just waiting to kill us.

As I started laying drawing up plans, I surveyed my fellow dwarves
First there was Imp. He had many different talents when it comes to stone, but most importantly he is a miner.

Secondly we have Moria. She’s gone into the traditional dwarven trade of mining but had always wanted to enter the military. Given the deadly creatures reported to live nearby she might get the chance.

Third comes Sigurd. His main talent is his skill at engraving, but what concerns me now is he’s my third miner.

Fourth there’s Penguino. Penguino never could pick just one trade. Instead he’s dabbled in many different areas. But he can farm, he can brew, and he can keep records, so I need him.

Fifth there’s Mulch. A farmer, and a brewer, his skills will be vital to the fort. He also aspires to join the military one day, but it will be a long time before I can spare his skills.

Finally there’s Skanky. He’s skilled with the axe, but not much else. He will be vital to the fortress’s defense, but for now he’s going to have to serve as an emergency carpenter.

And there's me. I’m just a stonecrafter. I will ensure that when the caravan comes we have something to offer them, and I will lead. Given the location the second will not be an easy task.

OOC: Here's the list of gods for our civilization.
The Ship of Equivalence, Dwarves
Worship List
 Avuz Granitebronze the Pointy Mine, deity: mountains
 Ber the Wealthy Mines of Silver, deity: metals, wealth, trade
 Erib, deity: minerals, jewels
 Libash, deity: fortresses, war
 Stagshil, deity: agriculture, food, fertility, the rain, rainbows, the sky, the night, darkness
 Tad Stableeven, deity: balance
 Zokun Bravebite the Focus of Roaring, deity: valor, beauty, art, inspiration
 Tustem, deity: consolation
 K†tdir, deity: the sun
 Fimshel the Large Yell, deity: the wind

Next Update I'll actually have news about the fort itself.

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 05:49:00 pm »

Chapter 1: The First Year

Part 1: A bad omen
23rd of Hematite: It’s been almost four months since we reached this accursed land. In that time our miners have been busy. I’ve planned this fort out on a grand scale, and the farms are up and running, the bedrooms carved out, even the workshops brought safely inside. Just when it looked like this fort might not do to badly after all, Skanky ran up to me with terrible news. He said that he was looking for the axe we brought, and he discovered it was stolen.

So to sum up this lovely situation, we’re in a monster infested wilderness and the forts ONLY WEAPON has just been stolen and we don’t even know the thief. Oh and we don’t even have an anvil to attempt and forge new weapons. I think that I’ll just finish getting everything brought inside and seal of the fort.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 06:02:00 pm »

Heh. Well thats great!
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 08:43:00 pm »

Tough start.
..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 09:59:00 pm »

At the very least, you don't have to worry about lack of wood, even without the axe. But still, 300 points down the drain. Bummer.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 10:04:00 pm »

Once more, since Alebeer, Mulch, Sigurd, and Penguino are in the same fort.
Pages: [1] 2 3