Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: An aluminum artifact spear.  (Read 3593 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: An aluminum artifact spear.
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2016, 04:10:30 pm »

I've given it to my chief fighter, at present an adequate spearman (there are no military folks in this fort yet)

he's going to train up and get some real data.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2016, 04:31:47 pm »

They do, however, puncture. I guess I neglected to mention the mechanisms needed to make the spear of GLITZTY JUSTICE oscillate in a menacing fashion. Those are important too.
I was thinking of it failing to puncture troll fur, but I suppose it doesn't have to be wielded by a dwarf.

Given how light the spear is, you can probably devise a hypersonic multi-collision minecart launcher for it. Will it blend at 16 tiles/step?

Silly me. Of course, always, the first question should be "how do I add minecarts to it", given how ridiculously often it works.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2016, 12:20:49 am »

They do, however, puncture. I guess I neglected to mention the mechanisms needed to make the spear of GLITZTY JUSTICE oscillate in a menacing fashion. Those are important too.
I was thinking of it failing to puncture troll fur, but I suppose it doesn't have to be wielded by a dwarf.

Given how light the spear is, you can probably devise a hypersonic multi-collision minecart launcher for it. Will it blend at 16 tiles/step?

Silly me. Of course, always, the first question should be "how do I add minecarts to it", given how ridiculously often it works.

Heretic! The only proper question is "how do I add magma to it"! Return to the Church of the Firey Muck, ye many! Don't be tempted by the Cult of Carts' evil!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2016, 04:17:37 am »

I've tried asking that question - The Church of the Firey Muck being the first one I learned of, but the answer seems to "set things on fire" & "kill FPS" way too often, though there's a dose of improving workshop efficiency and limited anti-swimmer pathing.

Adding minecarts to magma, though? Massive improvement. Crush it, shoot it, drop it, sell it, trap it. The Firey Muck can be a filial.

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2016, 04:48:25 am »

@George Chickens: MAX_EDGE only dictates whether the material is treated as sharp one, mostly for the purposes of stone weapons. There's two settings: 10k, and everything lower.

The important values are related to shear values.

Mostly.
MAX_EDGE determines how much momentum a weapon loses when cutting through a layer of something else. Adamantine has a value 10x higher than most other things, so sails through everything without skipping a beat.
Haven't got a citation right now, but I think I recall reading that most materials lose about 10% of their momentum with each layer pierced - not much, but enough to justify the pile-cloaks-over-armour thing some people do.
There's a historical rebalance mod out there that drops MAX_EDGE for metals down into the hundreds, so blows lose a lot of their punch after getting through armour. Haven't played around with it much, though.

But, yeah, whether or not something can pierce something else at all is mostly determined by shear values.
So in this case, the spear wouldn't lose much that momentum if it did pierce anything, but it won't pierce anything because its shear values are crap.
It's also super light, which doesn't help matters.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2016, 12:00:58 am »

It occurs to me that modern javelins are often made out of aluminium.  I suppose DF physics allows you to throw lighter objects further???  It might be useful in adventure mode.

Kind of off topic, but I once made a wonderful artifact bone shield.  I thought, "Great, it's light, super awesome and since shields pretty much work the same no matter what it's made of, it's the first useful artifact I've made".  I gave it to my military commander and got him to lead the charge against the onslaught of a goblin seige... whereupon said commander instantly fell asleep on the battlefield and was killed by a single blow to the head by a goblin.  I buried the shield and left the useless twit who was carrying it to rot on the battlefield.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 05:17:13 pm »

Hey guys, not to necro, but I have extensively tested the abilities of this spear.

The user is now legendary +15. It actually draws less blood and causes less puncture wounds than you might think, but blasts bones to powder with ever hit. I've never seen it chip a bone, it always shatters. It shatters bones through armor, even. I just watched a goblin wearing no armor but lots of troll fur/leather armor have every stab deflected by its cloak/helm/etc but still get it's bones turned to mush.

All-in-all, it is a remarkably effective weapon in the hands of an expert.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 05:19:04 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 05:50:33 pm »

So it's like a steel maul wrapped in soda can.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 05:56:21 pm »

So it's like a steel maul wrapped in soda can.

Also it weighs about as much as a length of PVC pipe, somehow.

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 08:34:56 pm »

incredible. I don't think this is it, but maybe because it is so light your dwarf can swing it superdwarvenly fast?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2016, 08:45:35 pm »

Cards on the table? It's an elf.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2016, 08:46:54 pm »

How does it fare against things without bones, like gabbro men? What about undead?

That's surprisingly effective blunt force damage from a weapon that has no weight.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2016, 08:47:59 pm »

No data on that yet. There are no necromancers in the area, and the FB's have been surprisingly tame.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2016, 03:18:50 pm »

Use dfhack's spawnunit?

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile