Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: An aluminum artifact spear.  (Read 3594 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
An aluminum artifact spear.
« on: September 07, 2016, 04:18:09 pm »

How viable would this be? Aside from being stupendously valuable. It's covered in amethysts, so it looks rad as hell in my mind.

It's like half as dense as iron, but it really just needs to be sharp to be a viable spear, right?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An aluminum artifact spear.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 02:37:08 am »

as long as the dwarf is using the stabbing attack then yes, all you need is for it to be sharp. Someone would have to dig through combat logs to discover how often the main weapon attack is used, however, to see how really effective it is.
Looking at the raw files aluminum seems pretty decent, and the artifact bonus will probably make it a very efficient weapon nonetheless

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 07:51:16 am »

… plus it has just this a-w-e-s-o-m-e look, style and destruction, what's not to like?
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 10:07:36 am »

Urist was just finishing the last can from the second 12-pack of beer when he is overcome in a trance to create... "I must have aluminum!"  He gathered the discarded cans like a hobo crashing in a frat house after finals.  Not quite enough, but he recalls his last unfinished beer, gulped it down and melted the can to be part of his masterful creation, an aluminum spear head with a shaft of birch off a broom handle.  It menaces with spikes of cigarette butt fibers.  It's handle has an orange tint from Dust of Cheetos.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 12:09:31 pm »

Urist was just finishing the last can from the second 12-pack of beer when he is overcome in a trance to create... "I must have aluminum!"  He gathered the discarded cans like a hobo crashing in a frat house after finals.  Not quite enough, but he recalls his last unfinished beer, gulped it down and melted the can to be part of his masterful creation, an aluminum spear head with a shaft of birch off a broom handle.  It menaces with spikes of cigarette butt fibers.  It's handle has an orange tint from Dust of Cheetos.

Nerdicus, the Spear of Destiny
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 09:49:04 am »

Come on, it's a spear, a legendary spear, a legendary spear should be built in the meeting hall to make it a legendary dining room, a legendary dining room with an upright legendary spear right at the door, admired by all your legendary dwarves.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 10:07:55 am »

Gonna give it to an elf.

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 10:16:53 am »

<(^_^)>
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 12:31:56 pm »

The maximum edge of aluminium is the same as iron, so it should be a very good weapon to use. If I remember right, artifacts also have a damage bonus.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 12:42:06 pm »

Fun fact, it seems absolutely terrible, having trouble penetrating things like troll fur cloaks.

I put it in the hands of a completely unskilled recruit, so I'll train them up and give it another go.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 02:20:09 pm »

That's informative.

@George Chickens: MAX_EDGE only dictates whether the material is treated as sharp one, mostly for the purposes of stone weapons. There's two settings: 10k, and everything lower.

The important values are related to shear values.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 03:42:17 pm »

How viable would this be? Aside from being stupendously valuable. It's covered in amethysts, so it looks rad as hell in my mind.

It's like half as dense as iron, but it really just needs to be sharp to be a viable spear, right?

Have you got anyone to wield it?  I'd say set up a squad designed just to have spear dwarves, and then put your dwarf in charge of it, and then set up a barracks just for that guy, and assign uniforms to only accept this particular object.  And then put him in charge of a really monster team.

If you died, it would at least be fun.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 03:46:49 pm »

Make it a really fancy execution device. Pit goblins/trolls/dogs into it so they can meet their death GLAMOUROUSLY~!
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 04:01:14 pm »

Goblins don't dehydrate.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 04:02:33 pm »

Goblins don't dehydrate.

They do, however, puncture. I guess I neglected to mention the mechanisms needed to make the spear of GLITZTY JUSTICE oscillate in a menacing fashion. Those are important too.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: [1] 2 3