Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Broken vs Mangled body parts  (Read 3816 times)

Aedom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Broken vs Mangled body parts
« on: September 07, 2016, 02:44:51 pm »

Oh great and wise bay12 forum users,

The wiki page regarding wounds (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/40d:Wound) shows a rubric at the bottom of the page.  It shows damage types per row, and consequences per column.  Up until meditating on this table, I thought that broken would only be possible via bludgeon damage, and mangled would only be possible via slash or pierce (edge attacks). 

Can anyone shed any light on this?  I'm trying to determine what the exact difference is between a "broken" body part and a "mangled" one.  I know that there are specific rules, per organ for example, that causes some parts to be "broken" or "mangled", but is there any functional difference?  How is one injury description picked?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 03:00:43 pm by Aedom »

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Broken vs Mangled body parts
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 03:27:06 pm »

Broken is what happens when a kid falls from a tree and breaks a leg. The leg is useless until it's mended.

Mangled is what happens if that same kid sticks his leg into a hydraulic press. That leg isn't coming back.

Though the wiki suggests they can eventually heal (how I don't know, but may depend on the body part as I know some mangled injuries are forever).

Also, I don't know that mangled still exists in the latest version. 40d was a long time ago, for all I can remember it may have just been flavor text.

I think broken and mangled were transformed into function loss & broken.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 03:39:30 pm by Slogo »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 04:01:00 pm »

I'm curious myself now.  I was always under the impression that mangled body parts would still heal, and that the only useful distinction between functional loss in a body part and being mangled / destroyed was that it would allow you to actually destroy reanimated body parts.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 04:25:22 pm »

Well, I had some woodcutters getting injured pretty earlier in different forts, so I have some first hand experience.

A broken arm needed setting (though the doctor did it while the patient was in bed resting the injury. I thought they used traction benches for that kind of thing, but maybe it was because either I had no traction benches set up or it wasn't a compound fracture), which took the form of a splint wrapped around the patient's arm.

A mangled arm required not only the splint, but thread to suture, cloth to dress the wound and water for cleaning.

I think that's the difference.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 04:40:23 pm »

Well, I had some woodcutters getting injured pretty earlier in different forts, so I have some first hand experience.

A broken arm needed setting (though the doctor did it while the patient was in bed resting the injury. I thought they used traction benches for that kind of thing, but maybe it was because either I had no traction benches set up or it wasn't a compound fracture), which took the form of a splint wrapped around the patient's arm.

A mangled arm required not only the splint, but thread to suture, cloth to dress the wound and water for cleaning.

I think that's the difference.

I think traction benches are for more complex breakages and/or mostly for things like injuries involving the back that will mean the dwarf needs to stay immobilized until they heal the break. Traction Benches are those things you see in comedies and sitcoms where someone is wrapped up head to toe in casts and their arms and legs are being help up & in position by the bed's contraptions.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 06:11:51 pm »

From what I can tell a mangled arm is one that is broken and also, say, split open.

I have never seen one not heal, but it requires a lot of work by a doctor dwarf.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 07:44:00 pm »

Basically every type of injury can be healed from in the current version. In older versions some tissue types would never heal because of the way they were programmed, but that seems to have been resolved now. Certain bodyparts never seem to heal fully, and scar tissue is still a problem for things like lungs though.

Mangled body parts are no exception, they take time to heal, but other than the treatment time the actual healing period is the same as for any other injury and is determined by the tissue's heal rate and the injured creature's toughness stat.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

BruceyBoyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 08:32:21 am »

The main difference with "mangled" is that if anything you need to live (head, upper body, lower body) is "mangled beyond recognition", you will instantly die - undead being no exception. It's caused I believe by just beating a body part until every layer is damaged insanely - such text as "the injured part explodes into gore!" appears when an adventurer mangles a part beyond recognition, and if that happens to the head or either part of the body, it's an instakill. But it usually requires a lot of punching (though a kick to the head of someone unconscious tends to mangle the head). It simply allows you to kill things that have no blood or organs - for instance, you can eventually mangle a blob beyond recognition, destroying it, or mangle a broze colossus' body. Awkwardly, in Adventure, I tend to mangle the head in combat, meaning I can't use my necromancy to resurrect the victim.

Incidentally, I believe "mangled beyond recognition" is the pulping function. It actually has varying descriptions - the injured part may "explode into gore" or be "pushed into the body, an unrecognizable mass", and I swear I've seen some others while crippling goblins with punches to the neck.