Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: So lets talk browser games.  (Read 4509 times)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So lets talk browser games.
« on: September 06, 2016, 07:49:00 pm »

Other than the eternal mystery of why there are a bazillion gangster games, Umpteen vampire and god know how many fantasy general based one.

There must be some good games out there but what?
Lets see who's playing what?
Is x any good?
Hhow often do need to log on?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So lets talk browser games.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 08:44:32 pm »

Realm of the Mad God is a browser game that's also on Steam. Cookie Clicker and its ilk are also browser games. Crush the Castle was a browser game that... erm... inspired a little game called Angry Birds into existence. There's also plenty of tower defense type games, including Gemcraft which is considered to be one of the better ones.

As for web games I actually play nowadays... well, I don't really anymore... I think most people are more focused on creating mobile games these days.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 12:21:43 am »

Sadly, 99% of the new browser games on Kongregate are idle/clicker games. I can't think of the last time I've seen something else come out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 12:25:24 am »

I actually went on a quest to find the one idle game worth playing!

Uhhh... yeah we already played the good ones years ago... move on.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 12:38:26 am »

Does Dragonfable count (even though I haven't played that in ages), or are we only talking about ones on kongregate or newgrounds or wherever?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 02:48:09 am »

I'm playing Real Grinder currently. It's an idle game but with far more content than any other I know.
I used to play Travian years ago, I don't know what changed since then, but it was fun back then.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 06:53:41 am »

Old school Runescape (aka RS2) is open to free players but it's no longer a browser game; you have to install a standalone client. Ironic, because when I first played Runescape the standalone client was the unsupported optional thing and browser was the "main" way to play.

Or, if you prefer, there's dozens of bootleg Runescape servers for both RS2 and old old Runescape. Most of these have mods, enhancements, or quality-of-life features such as tweaked experience rewards.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 06:54:42 am »

There's also plenty of tower defense type games, including Gemcraft which is considered to be one of the better ones.
Gemcraft and Creeper World are the ones that stand out, yeah. Although the browser versions of CW are mostly just demos.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 07:36:53 am »

I actually went on a quest to find the one idle game worth playing!

Uhhh... yeah we already played the good ones years ago... move on.

This isn't totally true, there's still good idle games coming out if you can find them. Two I've played recently are:

Factory Idle where you create increasingly complex factories using conveyor belt and assembly machines to produce components that you then sell (or research for new stuff). It's like if factorio was an idle game (and without aliens.) more or less, and a really good take on the whole thing. I'll admit I didn't actually get around to the total endgame (for various reasons including a bit of boredom.) but for the days that I did play this this was one of the best idle games I've played. !!Warning!! you gota like it to, well, like it. If you don't want to play factorio tetris you're not going to enjoy this game. If you do like factorio tetris, you'll love this game.

Spaceplan is pretty short, you can finish it in a single session of playing it every once in a while in the background. It's a bit more a traditional idler then factory idle, but the interesting things that happen and that you can do that don't wear themselves out because of the short runtime make it quite an entertaining ride.

For browser games in general, I'm still playing Wilds.io. One of those multiplayer pvp io games, it had a thread on bay12 a while ago. In this one you control a dude with an axe axing other people in one of two "teams" in a arena littered with rocks and lethal sand vortexes. Despite the pay to win nature of being a patron to the game and the devs mercenary approach to the games development (which with it's almost nonexistent patron base means there's effectively no development) the like, surprising depth to the combat and just the fun of it keeps me coming back way way way longer then I've done with any other IO game.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 07:41:51 am by Criptfeind »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 07:39:06 am »

There's also plenty of tower defense type games, including Gemcraft which is considered to be one of the better ones.
Gemcraft and Creeper World are the ones that stand out, yeah. Although the browser versions of CW are mostly just demos.
Except for that one with the new maps per day, all the CW browser games are demos.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 08:10:58 am »

Battlemaster.org
A feudal world simulator with lots of wars, intrigues, politics and monster invasions. Two turns per day (at 5 a.m. and 5 p.m. UTC), so logging in twice a day should be enough.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 08:13:11 am »

Amorphous+ is still the best designed flash game I've ever played. So well designed. Splat blobs. Earn achievements. Die. Splat blobs again.

Starwish is the best flash narrative game I've played, though the gameplay is a bit lack luster.

Medieval Cop series is the funniest flash games I've played recently. They're pretty good! Got a phoenix wright feel to them.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 10:05:41 am »

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Reyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 10:11:15 am »

Mateusz Skutnik's submachine series. A escape series with a fantastic setting, wonderful puzzles(very few pixel hunts) and with a story that I enjoyed thoroughly. It took 10 or so years to complete the entire thing, and it's been finished this year. If you enjoyed them, you'll also like his other games: Daymare town and Covert front.

You can play them all for free, or buy the bundle, which comes in HD, and allows fullscreen.

As far as idle games go, there was one I enjoyed for a couple of months, mostly because after a certain point you actually had to use your brain(or cheat your way through the wiki) to be able to progress. It's named Sandcastle builder and it's based off of the XKCD comic, or it started from an idea from there.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 12:53:34 pm »

I still haven't found anything as fun as Urban Dead. I was really sad when it started losing population. I wonder how it's doing now?

ETA: Hey, I still remember my password!

Son of Edit:  Also, Choice of Games browser games are pretty good Choose Your Own Adventure types.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 01:04:50 pm by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.
Pages: [1] 2 3