Purple
- 2 (15.4%)
red/orange
- 4 (30.8%)
Other - post in thread.
- 1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Slime Time V.2 - The last of the first Updates.  (Read 1471 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Slime Time V.2 - The last of the first Updates.
« on: September 05, 2016, 04:04:55 pm »

Spoiler: Note, ReadMe (click to show/hide)

Slime Time

The Setting
The age of man has come to an end.

230,000,000 years ago the human race destroyed the world in nuclear fire. The force of the war tore apart the world. The atmosphere was blown off into space, the oceans first overflowed and then boiled away leaving vast plains of barren earth. The great tectonic plates split and swallowed the remnants of city's deep below the earth. The earth itself bled from the wounds of the bombs, and its blood burned the surface and scorched the sky. The once vibrant life of the world grew still. The land lay silent under the shadow of great clouds of irradiated ash. What water was left upon the surface was toxic and useless. The great gods of the universe looked upon the wreckage and sighed, for it seemed no life remained upon the once promising planet. They turned away, never again to look upon the husk, the sad reminder of their failed efforts. Even the gods were wrong.
Deep within the earth, life remained. Small creatures eaked out an existence far from the light of stars, and bacteria swarmed in the depths. With the massive amounts of residual radiation life evolved quickly to its new home. Short and painful lifespans were the norm, and soon truly alien creatures roamed the the wastes of what was once such a friendly planet. Most looked as nothing ever seen before.
But even life can only overcome so much. Most of the world remained too irradiated, too inhospitable for any adaptation to overcome. Only small pockets of life flourish on the surface, and most of what lives crawls in the deep for now.

You are a small slime. You survive by breaking down radioactive particles, turning the greatest hazard of this world to your benefit. You have lived for countless millennium at the end of a pipe. It's a rather nice pipe. Your not entirely sure what its made of, but its never rusted for all the time you've been here. It used to bring a small but steady drip of radioactive fluid to you, but lately that seems to have run dry. If you want to survive, you must venture out into the remnants of the world and learn to hold your own.

Rules
1. I am the all powerful GM. I run the game. You are the semi-powerful players, you play the game.

2. I roll for some things, and sometimes i pull stuff out of my ass. If I roll for something, I will be consistent and roll for similar things later on. I will not always let you know when I roll for stuff. In fact, I mostly wont let you know.

3.The larger you get, the more food you consume.

4. If you run out if food, you begin to digest yourself. When there is no more of you to digest, you are dead.

5.When you are dead, the game is over.

6.Your Goal is to survive, grow, reproduce, consume the universe until it's just one massive slime. You know, the usual.

7.I may or may not have a personal vendetta against the players. Don't ask.

8.I go with the majority action. If things are unclear, I may put up a poll.

9.I may add more rules here later, if the game requires such. Ill try to let you know with a new post if I make changes here.

Evolution
It's fairly easy for you to induce evolution in your self. You can separate a bit of slime internally and expose it to some of the radioactive particles you normally use as food to create mutations. Since the affected slime is separate from the rest of you, you can easily digest the plethora of tumors and abominations you create before they can spread. You can keep doing this until you have the mutations that you desire, and then you let those propagate through the rest of the slime. Forced evolution, easy peasy. Sometimes this results in traits you didn't intend to evolve. You can always digest them, or you can accept them, though they may contain unknown elements. This requires radioactive material to do, and that's your only food source at the start. I would suggest waiting to evolve.

I model this process by choosing a number (dependent on how complex the mutation is) Let's call this number X. I then choose a second number smaller than X. I start rolling a dX and keep rolling until i land on the second number, and i subtract a bit of radioactive material each roll. So a relatively simple mutation may just be an X=3. Then i choose a number, say 2, and i roll until i hit 2. Each roll you loose some of your radioactive material. Additional and more complex mutations increase cost exponentially (have a larger starting X), as you must induce larger changes in the DNA, and have more DNA which must be preserved through exposure. It would follow that discarding old mutations will result in a decrease of cost for new mutations. Unintended mutations are modeled by a separate linear system.

Starting Situation
 It was three days ago the pipe last brought you the fluid. For three days you have sat in silence, biding your time, growing smaller. Three days since you last heard the drip of the pipe, or saw the glow of your food. You stretched your senses into the void, desperate for some stimulation. You strained, expanding into nothing and everything at once. Still, nothing but void. You forgot the pipe, the food, there was nothing but void, and you were God, God of nothing. You felt yourself contracting and your senses expanding until you heard it. The faintest of whispers, barely there at all, yet deafeningly loud in the absence of existence. It said one thing. It said "MOVE".
All at once your mind snapped back to your body, your senses boiled down into a single perspective, and though there was no light you now could see. The pipe was there. The pipe! Ah yes! The pipe that brought food! But there was no food. The voice had told you to move. To seek out your food. The voice was silent now, but you could still feel its connection, burned into your mind, part of you now. A link to something else. The voice had told you to move, so move you would. You would climb the pipe.

With you miniscule size it was easy enough for friction and strength to overcome gravity. You made swift progress up the pipe. You climbed for an hour, or maybe a year. Soon you sensed a change.

Close above you, a dim light was falling into the pipe. The radiation of a tired star, useless as food, but it made you feel... warm? Onwards you went, but before you could reach it you felt a crack in the pipe. You thrust your senses outwards and realized a choice lay before you.

A spiraling cavern, down, back into the depths of the world. Patched with blue moss and damp from the earth.

Above you, dim grey light, and the whistling of the wind. Warmth and space.

You have the strange feeling that whatever choice you make, the other will be closed to you for good.

Subterranean;
In these last days life is cruel and bitter. All things return to the earth, but you are the earth. The echos in the rock, movement underground where no living thing should be. It is you. The earth itself has died, and now you must do your part. The fate of this world is to become the hollow shell of a great cosmic slime.

Enables;

Slime augmented environment:
Once you have grown large enough to have resources to burn, you can create and disseminate a coating of sludge on the environment around you. This sludge acts as a sort of Grey Green Goo, actively breaking down nearby biological matter to more of the substance. When in an area that is affected by this corruption you gain many benefits (ex; faster healing, resilient to damage, needs less food) in proportion to the level of corruption in the area. On a small scale, this may be used to create a sort of "lair" for you to retreat to, but later may be used to effect and corrode entire ecological systems in an offensive manner.

Surface;
This is not the end of the world, but a new beginning. From every damp gutter, every hollow cave, new life springs foward to take an empty kingdom. Only the weak and dying are left in the ground. There is nothing for you there. Challenge, reward, life, this awaits you on the surface. You shall take this world in a moist, slimy grip and never let go.

Enables;

Mobile Strike Slimes:
Once you have grown big enough, you may split off sections of yourself to act as autonomous agents. Though fully capable individuals, they are under your psychic guidance. They may later be reabsorbed to the slime collective for the seamless transfer of information, resources, or unique mutations they may have accrued. They can be used for; scouting, foraging, tactical situations, farmed for mutations, even a sort of "back up" in case your main slime is compromised or destroyed. The limit of thier application is your imagination.

State of the slime
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Abilities/Attributes
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 07:52:27 pm by helmacon »
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
Re: Slime Time V.2
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 04:12:39 pm »

To the caves!
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 04:18:37 pm »

Lets stay in the caves for now. we can take to the surface later.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 04:26:56 pm »

The Caves!
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 04:30:14 pm »

all hail cave bleb
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 05:26:10 pm »

We are Black
To The Caves.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Slime Time V.2 - First Update!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 07:26:29 pm »

Slime Time

The unsettling feeling of warmth, the exposure and desolation that surely rules the surface, these things could bring only suffering upon you fragile being. But the caves, yes, here you could grow strong. The endless complexities and wildness of this fissure in the earth would play best to your weakness.
 With barely a moments consideration you squeeze through the crack in the pipe and tumbled unceremoniously down the incline of rock. Almost immediately after your descent (perhaps even caused by your disturbance of the otherwise docile environment) a tremor rockes the whole of the cavern and a great number of rocks dislodge themselves near your pipe so as to render it hopelessly lost beneath the rubble. With the elimination of this source of light the fungus that lay in patches on the walls seemes to grow brighter, leaving the cavern in a uniform state of eerie half light where shadows never seem to fully form. Taking note of your new surroundings you began to press forward, picking your way around rubble and the uneven nature of the caverns floor. You travel forward with the natural decline of the tunnel for some time until at last the rock opens up around you and a great space stands before you. From near the ceiling at the far end a set of small pipes are spewing out a steady stream of water which falls into a narrow river carved into the rock. This river cuts across the far side of the cavern holding fast to the wall on one side, before disappearing into a hole in the rock. Thick mats of the blue fungus line the bank of this river, and even persist down under the water though it is thinner there. The rest of the cavern is damp with the moisture of the river with beads of water clinging to the walls. The fungus is present here as well, covering much of the walls, though curiously it's presence recedes around a set of perfectly round and symmetrical holes set high in the far right of the walls. To the left a set of passageways diverge from the cavern, one apparently level, and the other descending further into the earth.

You feel an internal itch, and the psychic whispers return. Apparently your response has garnered thier interest. There are different voices now, and they tell you different things, vying for control. This increase of activity seems to have leaked over to your being, and you feel your psychic sense expand.

Your psychic sense has increased!
You have consumed 1 rad in upkeep!
You have discovered a riverside cavern!
You have gained an ability "Slime augmented environment"

State of the slime

Abilities/Attributes

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 07:38:11 pm »

PTW.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 07:45:39 pm »

Attempt to investigate and augment the fungus.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 09:42:40 pm »

Are our psychic abilities increased by successfully guessing/assuming/figuring out things?
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 02:41:06 am »

Attempt to investigate and augment the fungus.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 07:51:56 pm »

Slime Time

You begin to observe the fungus around the room. The thick growths of mycelium have been intermittently present everywhere you have been, and you feel like you ought to know a bit more about such a constant presence. It seems to grow thicker in areas of greater moisture, though the exception being the thinner growth submerged in the river. It is very thick however along the bank, and you decide to start your experiments here.
As you approach the river however, you can almost smell the radiation spilling off of it. If you had a mouth, it would be watering right now. It was nowhere near as potent as the stuff you used to eat, but you're so hungry at the moment you don't even care. You stop at the edge of the fungus growth, watching its blue glow. You stretch out slowly, touching just the tip of your being to the stuff.
IT BURNS!
You pull back, writhing in pain for a few moments. The fungus seems to feed on moisture, and being a slime you are unfortunately very moist. Your caution has prevented you from any serious injury though.
Not a slime to be easily deterred, you set about a series of experiments. The fungus seems to thrive on moisture, but it is extremely fragile itself. You observe a tendril of hyphae spread out over an entire pool of water in a matter of minutes, and similarly it drys and decays in a matter of minutes once the water is gone. You discover a number of these dead matt's around the room. You try adding a bead of dew that has formed on the ground to the dead matt, and it springs back to life. It would appear to be in a dormant state, rather than dead. However, this same experiment performed on some of the older dead matt's yields no results. It's dormancy would appear to be short lived. With a safe sample of the substance secured, you are able to absorb small flakes and deconstruct them internally, gaining a much better understanding of its biology. These dead samples are otherwise useless to you, but you theorise that if you had a live sample, still swollen with iridated water, you would be able to retrieve some amount of energy from it. To do this you would also need to find a way to overcome the natural aggression of the fungus so that its not eating you at the same time as you try to eat it.
After a few hours consideration, you think you have finally found an answer to this problem. By concentrating the internal acids you use in digestion, and binding these in a membrane along with tumorous growth cells you can create a self perpetuating pseudo organism. The acids continuously break down any organic materials they come into contact with, and the growth cells absorb this material and replicate at cancerous rates, producing more acids. This is necessary though, as the acids will break down the growth cells after a time. It will continue to expand as long as there is organic matter nearby, but in isolation it will eventually dissipate as natural energy loss from the system will eventually starve the growth cells. While this substance remains viable, you should be able to leach some of the energy slurry produced and obtain some food from it. Furthermore, you can reabsorb the non-cancerous parts of the membrane to repair yourself when in this substance. It will take you a significant amount of rads to create the cancerous cells and produce the acids however.

At least, thats how it should work in theory.

It is time to put your ideas into practice then, and you create the necessary concoction internally. (-5 Rads) You find that the finished product creates a fragile yet stable packet. Should you ever discover a means to launch things at speed, they would make and effective payload.

You deposit this payload on the fungus, and for the first few moments it appears to work flawlessly. The concentrated acid overwhelms the growth of the fungus and it quickly burns a path down to the river. Taking your cue here, you quickly cross to the river absorbing some nutrients from the slurry on the way (+1 rad). Upon entering the river you find that you can float on water, which is convenient seeing as the fungus still coats the bottom of the river where your acid cannot reach. You happily float in the river, absorbing radiation and enjoying life. (+3 rads)
Unfortunately, you appear to have encountered a problem. Thought the acid overwhelmed the fungus with its initial payload, the growth cells cannot produce additional acid fast enough to keep it at bay. As you watch, the fungus returns over you creation and closes the gap, leaving you stranded in the river! You contemplate creating a second batch to cross back, but with the incline of the river bank you would not be able to cover enough to reach the other side.
Your musing are interrupted by the entrance of a trio of creatures to the cavern. "Wolves" the psychic whispers tell you, but you don't know what that is. They are completely colorless, and lack eyes or eye sockets of any kind. They are covered in fur, and seem at ease in the cavern. The smallest one carries a large white bone. Another one walks casually over the fungus to lap water from the stream.

At this point the current has carried you to the middle of the stream, and threatens to take you into the rock with the rest of the river if you don't act soon.

In other matters, it appears as though the whispers have increased again. You can make out distinct words and images now, and your own powers seem to increase accordingly. (You guys are killing it!)

Rads: -1 upkeep, -5 augment, +3 water stuff, +1 augment (-2 total)

State of the slime

Abilities/attributes

OOC Notes:
Are our psychic abilities increased by successfully guessing/assuming/figuring out things?
Nope! good guess though!

That's it for the rapid updates! I'm going to move to a weekly schedule now, probably on sundays. This is a lot to be writing everyday on-top of classes and work! Thanks for the interest everybody!

On the matter of psionics,
Every second increase will afford you a psychic power as well as the regular increase in perception and control limits. What you choose will affect later choices, and close the other choice to you.
Your initial choices are;

Telekinetics:
Move things with your mind. Limited to small objects at first. Does not include self movement. Velocity sold separately.

Telepathy:
Know what others are thinking!

Edit: I'm gonna leave the poll up until I update next week.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 07:58:11 pm by helmacon »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Slime Time V.2 - The last of the first Updates.
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 08:23:23 pm »

Telekinetics

HARNESS THE UNLIMITED MINDPOWER OF THE BLEB
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 09:09:08 pm »

Do our psionics grow with activity in the thread?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 01:32:49 am »

Absorb a puppy. Become a puppy slime. Do it stealthfully.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.
Pages: [1] 2