Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about the use of bolts, swords, stabbing weapons in general and realism  (Read 945 times)

Lordhermitcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I remember in the Hobbit movies, the latest ones, one of the main dwarves had a chunk of steel in his head apparently from an accident when he was younger. It's still there after all those years, because they never removed it. Why was this?

Is it because if they had removed it, it would've greatly increased the area for bleeding, and thus he would've bled out?

Usually in dwarf fortress, bleeding out from a stab wound is common if it's not treated. But how exactly would people in, Medieval times, for example, treat a giant sever in skin, muscle, and blood vessels through the body?
THE CONCRETE IS ON FIRE

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In general flesh wounds would be treated much as they are now, using cauterization, stitches and bandages. Not generally done using clean tools or the most precise of methods though, so often people would get infections and die.

As I understand it most flesh wounds caused death from infection if you didn't bleed out when you initially got it.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Microbiology was NOT understood well until around the American Civil war. Noting that during the ACW and the Crimean war, there were many deaths due to infection and not trauma from wounds. Sometimes more than from trauma (as in the Crimean war). During the ACW, hands, tools, bandages, were not cleaned so they were substantial vectors for infection.

*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”

Purdurabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But how exactly would people in, Medieval times, for example, treat a giant sever in skin, muscle, and blood vessels through the body?
Leeches and bloodletting I think.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

I mean, they knew how to stitch/bandage things. Also casts were a thing that were used, albeit with more primitive methodology.

Things like infection were the main danger.

Leeches and bloodletting would be unlikely to be used in the treatment of trauma. Medical issues such as diseases would probably draw that kind of treatment, as there was little understanding of what caused them.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Leeches and bloodletting would be unlikely to be used in the treatment of trauma. Medical issues such as diseases would probably draw that kind of treatment, as there was little understanding of what caused them.

To expand on this, a lot of medieval medicine was based on the idea of the 'four humours' suggested by Greek philosophers and doctors. The idea was that you had blood, phlegm, yellow bile and black bile, if my memory serves, in a certain equilibrium and disease was caused by imbalances in your humours.

Usually this was treated by removing some of one or more of your bodily fluids. The biles were reduced by inducing vomiting, blood by knives and leeches and so on.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

another thing that was used where available was honey. They didn't know honey was antibacterial, but they could see that it prevented infections and helped heal the wounds and keep them clean. Deep gashes were often filled with honey and then covered with absorbent plants and grease to seal it.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

another thing that was used where available was honey. They didn't know honey was antibacterial, but they could see that it prevented infections and helped heal the wounds and keep them clean. Deep gashes were often filled with honey and then covered with absorbent plants and grease to seal it.

I did not know this. And it's a very useful bit of historic information for a project I'm working on: thanks!
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".