Early Age
- 1 (25%)
Middle Age
- 2 (50%)
Late Age
- 1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 23 - It wasn't fine :'(  (Read 30466 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 23 - You'll be fine, honest!
« Reply #375 on: October 13, 2016, 01:44:08 pm »

VotD doesn't care about Astral mages being present. That'd be Mind Hunt.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 13, 2016, 03:16:54 pm »

So: I accidentally domkilled Caelum.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #377 on: October 13, 2016, 03:21:39 pm »

Alas, my wings have been clipped! The world... 'tis but a graveyard for feathers!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 13, 2016, 04:05:30 pm »

So.

Summoned armies don't break the "no first aggression" clause apparently.

... Nobody even cares about this game anymore. My newly renewed lack of will to continue has crystallized into an AI.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 13, 2016, 04:27:02 pm »

Thats fine, i feel like most of the game took its turn, at the same time im very unsure what the end result would or will be, so I'll keep going. Remember your combined assets outnumber me like 3:1 at least.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 13, 2016, 04:28:06 pm »

Prolly a good idea to call the game here and start over a new one I think. Unless C'tis thinks she has a fighting chance. I'd appreciate it if the next game was a Disciples game for what it's worth. I'll also flip to AI now, not that I'm in very much of a position to take over or win or contribute to a winner at this rate, which puts me on par with being a goodies piņata, and the AI would serve that well enough.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 13, 2016, 04:38:45 pm »

No, I have no chance. I can empathise with the frustration dealing with R'lyeh. If your existence in the game is declared as a gimmick, please don't change your mind halfway through- it reads as deceitful, even if not intended as such.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 14, 2016, 05:01:31 am »

We have the 3 biggest Armys at man (105), ultima typha (108) and Eryx (19), we could make them clash.

I don't feel like I violated my "try to roleplay a little" set of rules, especially since I did work off my focus groups "( Focus on Research, Gems, Cash, Provinces - in that order )" in order, so taking some provinces from someone that attacked me seemed resonable, especially since he actually attacked me twice before (as in, armys moving into my territory). I am still not attacking the exposed capitals nor will I until we clash - T'ichi could have claimed all thrones (using that lvl 7 astral pretender to cast astral travel would've been fast) and all I could do is try to ritual him down somehow (Really hard on MR 18+).

I spent 50 turns maxing out all research trees besides Blood Magic and never attacked anyone first - how is that not along the guidelines (that I want to"try to roleplay a little", not follow to a flaw)? Any of you could have hired 15 Mind Hunts on a Astral mage to rob me of 30 turns of capital mage-production, if you cared. You have big astral mages, but apperently you don't talk to each other to put together a disspell attempt (?)

You can complain, but if you never got attacked by troops and never tried anything to slow/harm/disspell anything that bothers you, well, it reads as silly.

###new turn

Also it seems I was right C'tis is going to put his massive domain to good use. Welp.
On the plus side, I got to see a forest troll slowly get eaten by 54 dragonflys.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 14, 2016, 05:25:29 am »

As a useless fluff nation

You told us you were a fluff nation and weren't playing to win, and that's how I treated you. Now you say that you could have been defeated had people been working to do so- that's true. I didn't, because I took you at your word.
I've played some mafia.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 14, 2016, 05:57:55 am »

If I'd try to win, I'd astral travel (or just walk) to take two thrones, that can be done in less then 3 turns, especially since both my pretender and prophet can teleport around.

Anyway I maxed out research (✓), have forts in any province that is resonable to have one (income ✓), have every gem-global I can cast up (gems ✓) and now take provinces from someone that attacked me (provinces ✓).

Are saying that without me following my restrictions you would have beat Ry'leh down, all other things being equal? You always have/had the option to, especially now with some undead forest critters.
I wasn't playing to lose either, mostly I wanted to help out the new players where possible, by harming the big players - Eriu and Caluem both received some support, while T'ien Ch'i and other large nations got some assassins and mind hunts to slow them down, which worked out ... alright.

For 50+ turns I did stick to all rules, now I failed 2-3 out of 10, none of which affect any of you that didn't attack me.I aimed to allow new players to expand at there own speed without as much fear of being eaten up by big players. Nowhere does it say "try to lose", so you might have been under a very wrong impression if you expected me to send you all gold/gems and surrender territory.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Seems Bogus himself came to stop T'ien Ch'i btw.

Oh and one of the mountain kings died to a Mind Hunt, but that doesn't do anyone much good now.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 14, 2016, 09:28:58 am »

Double post, but as we are down to two players, I'm calling it over (the poll confirmed that, too) -

Thanks for playing everyone, we never had to extend the time limit and I for one had fun.

I'll collect the score graphs and comment on some things later.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 14, 2016, 09:52:39 am »

I had a good time too. I think I could've had a good chance at the win, if it wasn't for your underwater max tech/insane gem shenanigans. *shakes fist*

Despite taking Shinuyama because they're regarded as being pretty weak, I actually found them to be quite playable. Early game you load up on the cheap archers and the 25g/2r green ogres, then slowly switch over to your heavily armored katana/longbow archers as your income/resources allow.  The earth oni are pretty great when cast by a decent mage (although I was very underwhelmed by the fire and water ones), and the 55 air gem Dai Tengu summon is amazing (although you need to build your pretender to cast it.)

I'll admit that I got rather lucky - I had not just one, but 3 possible indie mage sites (one of which came with castle/lab pre-built!) - enough that I actually never built the third due to never really having the extra cash lying around for the build and per-turn costs. This let me really bring on the research, getting me up into the elemental royalty equipped with artifact weapons and armor (right up till they got mind burned! *shakes fist again*)

Good game everyone!

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 14, 2016, 12:43:35 pm »

I spent 50 turns maxing out all research trees besides Blood Magic and never attacked anyone first - how is that not along the guidelines (that I want to"try to roleplay a little", not follow to a flaw)? Any of you could have hired 15 Mind Hunts on a Astral mage to rob me of 30 turns of capital mage-production, if you cared. You have big astral mages, but apperently you don't talk to each other to put together a disspell attempt (?)

You can complain, but if you never got attacked by troops and never tried anything to slow/harm/disspell anything that bothers you, well, it reads as silly.

...not a player here, but I really have to side with Cheeetar. Saying you won't try to win and won't attack people portrays you as a lesser threat than everyone else, and lets you sit back and research with impunity - even moreso because you're UW and have far fewer competitors. Early on attacking you would be hard because water, and you're openly declared to be less of a threat than everyone actively trying to kill a nation - so it's more than a little disingenuous to suggest that people should have dropped everything to lay waste to you before you hit critical mass. Even moreso when your "rules" prominently include "don't actively try to win" but you interpret that to include "preventing other people from winning" and "engaging in conquest as soon as you can find a justification"; it's very, very easy to see why people would take you for less of a threat than you actually were, and not go out of their way to make themself vulnerable by waging war on you when you were still meaningfully vulnerable.

So no, it doesn't read as silly at all.

[Edit: to make sure I wasn't misremembering how the squid were originally characterized, I went back to the start of the thread:

Again, as a non-competetive force, I'd be like a slightly more dangerous indi force you can hire to mind hunt your enemys.

... ... ...um.]
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 12:50:01 pm by E. Albright »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 14, 2016, 03:02:50 pm »

T'ichi could have claimed all thrones (using that lvl 7 astral pretender to cast astral travel would've been fast) and all I could do is try to ritual him down somehow (Really hard on MR 18+).
I was W9S4. No idea where you got S7 from, since I never got past 6 with items.

Still castable, but then I'd have my pretender with questionable combat paths, 2-3 mages item-boosted to allow personal teleporting, and 195 troops, cut off in enemy territory. Even assuming I didn't lose any battles, attrition would have made it difficult to bring down the castle before you took any other thrones I'd managed to get.

You have big astral mages, but apperently you don't talk to each other to put together a disspell attempt (?)
I made an attempt to unite the land powers after your wishes, but Shinuyama was still fighting with Eiru, and C'tis with me. It's pretty dumb to drop a winning war to fight someone who's said that they're "a non-competitive force." We (Edit: Most of us) pretty much gave up after you swarmed Shinuyama.

To me, you came off as intending to be a semi-active observer offering mercenary contracts. I don't know why you think so many of us would have been hiring you if we thought you were trying to win a standard victory, or why you'd expect us to think that you were fighting around your own rules to win.

I shouldn't have tried for "soft conquests." Sorry if anyone felt it was condescending to just smash some armies and hope you followed me. I blame Alpha Centauri's vassalization/surrender of defeated AIs warping my mind.

Eiru and I were allied. I was going to slow my advances into Caelum to help them, but then C'tis intervened, and Caelum beat one of my army groups.

Still, I had fun before all that. I might join next game. I'm hoping for a disciples game, but it could be fun to join a regular game as a fluff MA Ulm item vendor.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 06:41:13 pm by Nirur Torir »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 14, 2016, 04:20:43 pm »

Yeah, a disciples game should be fun, and a way to wash that salt off this game scattered on us all. I don't think it even feels much of a victory for R'lyeh. For a disciples game I would prolly go along with Nurir and either C'tis or Micro, heh.

Still, this is not the worst game I'd been in. The worst game had me swear off dom4 for a year.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27