Early Age
- 1 (25%)
Middle Age
- 2 (50%)
Late Age
- 1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 23 - It wasn't fine :'(  (Read 30530 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 23 - Foul doings
« Reply #240 on: September 26, 2016, 09:42:17 pm »

So how looked down upon is it to attack and take provinces from a nation that is currently at war because you know it will be easy? Because I can see this being a constant occurrence in multiplayer games that will erase skill. 2 people go to war. They lose their armies. People see their armies are gone and attack in turn for easy provinces. Now you have a few big nations that will eventually eat the other smaller ones that were not able to eat the weakened nations. Seems like it would get boring fast.

To be honest, the first game I started on here ended up with me going toe to toe with the biggest nation out there while I was one of the smallest around, and it led me to pulling in second place while two other big damn nations were duking it out. There's also the inherent tension that comes along with taking apart a small nation between a few bigger ones, and generally, all sides prepare armies for the whole pie and they realize they can't have it.

The other thing is how game theory is a bit more complicated than that. It's good for all big nations to work together for all involved participants, but it's also best for one nation to pull ahead even if it means pulling everyone down with them. It's why I value placing trust in dealing with other nations as well, it's great to get as much as you can to pull forward as fast as you can.

There's also the fact that bigness is not that great. Sorta. Pulling in a huge income and recruiting a lot of troops is all nice, but as the game starts pulling to later stages, nations with higher gem incomes pull in faster. Mother Oak kinda horror marked your nation as a result for example, and I didn't notice you doing anything with that gem income in the meantime.

One last thing, it used to be that games were won by elimination, but in dom 4 they added the thrones of ascension. If you can be particularly sneaky, you can swipe enough thrones to win it doesn't matter if you're losing the war, you can just win while avoiding confrontations that look like trouble.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 23 - Foul doings
« Reply #241 on: September 26, 2016, 09:50:28 pm »

So how looked down upon is it to attack and take provinces from a nation that is currently at war because you know it will be easy? Because I can see this being a constant occurrence in multiplayer games that will erase skill. 2 people go to war. They lose their armies. People see their armies are gone and attack in turn for easy provinces. Now you have a few big nations that will eventually eat the other smaller ones that were not able to eat the weakened nations. Seems like it would get boring fast.

Not looked down on, usually.  That said, often a nation isn't attacked by only one other nation here. Bringing allies to attack and split a more powerful nation is one of the best ways to neutralize their advantage, and anyone in the lead - whether by thrones or by size - is at risk of being ganged up on.

It's also the case that a nation losing a war can potentially call in allies to help them, even forming a new alliance to that purpose, especially if their opponent is big and scary.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 23 - Fall of the Birds
« Reply #242 on: September 27, 2016, 02:33:03 am »

I didn't exactly get any messages from anyone here that I didn't write first, sooo communication helps. If you let all around you know your in trouble - And - that big army is stuck in your area, that helps.

Usually it's just

"Guy that said hello" > "Guy that said nothing"

_______

Don't you worry about my gems ; ) - Malestorm gives me about 10-12 Watergems / turn, which ain't that crazy, considering water has mostly unintresting gem-sinks (those trolls cost sooo much upkeep). Anyway, I need gems to wish for doom horrors and stuff in 15-ish turns. Maybe.

I also adjusted the poll to the current topic.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 27, 2016, 06:49:14 pm »

I fully encourage all nations to join me in attacking the largest nation, T'ien Ch'i, S/He Who Bullies Caelum.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 27, 2016, 08:10:47 pm »

It's not bullying. We had no combat for several turns, then they re-started hostilities.

Edit: Well, I was planning to after chasing Man's attack force away, but then they tried stabbing me in the side before I could stab them in the other side. So it's all fair!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #245 on: September 27, 2016, 08:55:35 pm »

I fully encourage all nations to join me in attacking the largest nation, T'ien Ch'i, S/He Who Bullies Caelum.

Caelum, unsurprisingly, will be joining the offensive against T'ien Ch'i by remaining stalwart in the face of adversity and occupation.

It's not bullying. We had no combat for several turns, then they re-started hostilities.

Was that before or after you besieged two of Caelum's fortresses?! Caelum rebuilt from previous attacks on our sovereignty and attempted to contain the T'ien Ch'i threat.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 27, 2016, 10:10:44 pm »

I'll trade a 440g Tuatha with 15 gems worth of equipment for three 45g Azure Initiates any day of the week.

My only regret is that we didn't salvage any of your equipment.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 23 - Fully Bully
« Reply #247 on: September 28, 2016, 02:56:27 am »

T'ien Ch'i's pretender is a carp. No wonder he has his capital so close to the water ; )

Juding from my own research potential, I suspect Shinuyama has at least one tree fully explored, so if the research progress ever stagnates that means a billion casters are moving in to wreck your stuff.

We shall deploy spys to enjoy the festival & show.

(However, for a alpha strike, only little shifted/moved)

____

I got to deal with kraken-kings anyway.

Edit: Llamaserver is struggling, but we are only missing T'ien Ch'i, so as long as Nirur Torir makes sure his turn goes through, everything should be fine.

The LlamaServer seems to be having difficulty reaching its mail server at the moment. Fear not. Games won't host until it is fixed.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 08:16:54 am by ThtblovesDF »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 28, 2016, 03:06:41 pm »

I have sent my turn, but llama doesn't care about me right now.

Was that before or after you besieged two of Caelum's fortresses?! Caelum rebuilt from previous attacks on our sovereignty and attempted to contain the T'ien Ch'i threat.
That first attack was before you had two fortresses. I'm on my second now.

T'ien Ch'i's pretender is a carp. No wonder he has his capital so close to the water ; )
Well, I did name my pretender Smiling Carp.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 28, 2016, 03:09:51 pm »

Not "Secret Agent Carp?"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 28, 2016, 06:20:13 pm »

I don't want to have to deal with a 550-strong lizard army, btw :(

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 28, 2016, 06:28:08 pm »

You'll be fine, honest!
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 28, 2016, 06:39:19 pm »

Okay, that's a relief!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 23 - You'll be fine, honest!
« Reply #253 on: September 30, 2016, 02:35:41 am »

Uhuuu big one coming up guys;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Soft reminder to both sides - I got spells in offer, from baleful stars to murdering winters, some of you know em already, but I can only recommend them.

___

I added 12 hours to the timer, incase I don't get to later and chaoticag would need the itme.
Hosting postponed for Bay12GamesRound423 by 12 hours. The game will now host at 22:27 GMT on Saturday October 1st.

chaoticag, you troll.

###
Next Turn;

Looks like C'tis won? No dent in Nirur Torirs army size-stats however, so it just seems the might of the empire takes a bit to get moving. Eriu isn't exactly winning either, but there wasn't a big battle yet and I'm sure those nature gems are being invested well as we speak. I think we both saw the communions that are just ready to go from Shinuyama. Caelum can recover in the wake of the wars, it's capital free again... intresting situation.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 06:05:57 am by ThtblovesDF »

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 23 - You'll be fine, honest!
« Reply #254 on: September 30, 2016, 07:08:04 am »

Looks like C'tis won? No dent in Nirur Torirs army size-stats however, so it just seems the might of the empire takes a bit to get moving.

The majority of his troops appear to be hiding inside the fortress.
I've played some mafia.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27