Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: [SG] I am a Demon  (Read 5883 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
[SG] I am a Demon
« on: September 04, 2016, 02:57:34 pm »

Demon – (Daemon) /ˈdiːmən/ - An inhabitant of the Infernal realm. Multiple creation myths exist, depending on realm, species and religion. Most share a common theme; that of a fallen divine spirit. They feed on mortal vice, and thus are at odds with most portal powers, and the inhabitants of the Divine Realm, however mortal-infernal interaction is well documented.  See also Infernal Realm, Demonic Heirarchy. Contrast with Angel.
- The Dimensional Handbook, rev. 4

I am a demon. Specifically, a demon broker. Well, I was before I got screwed over anyway. I was a very skilled one too, managing a whole sector of hell for the local demon prince. But enough reminiscing. I don’t have very long before the local brutes come to collect me for processing. I do however, have a plan.

I know I’m going to be stripped of my knowledge, possessions and memories before being banished to the material world, making me barely more than mortal, but I’m not going to just let that happen. Not by fighting off those brutes mind you, I wouldn’t have a hope in hell (heh) at doing that. Instead, I’ve called in every single favour I have, and some are with some very important individuals. One is actually here now, shrouding my personality and core memories…

Name: Demons tend towards long, incomprehensible-to-human-tongue style names. But I’ll soon be ending up amongst humans, so maybe I should choose one more suitable to them?
Gender: More of a human thing than a demon thing, but when I get banished I’ll end up having one of these.
Appearance: Again, I’ll be something human. But as I’ll be more than just a husk I’ll have some control over what form I take.

Nemesis: This is the dick that caused this in the first place. I’ve done the same thing myself once or twice, but that was just business. Now that I’m on the receiving end, I’m going to make them pay.
A.   My superior. They screwed up, big time, and they used me as a scapegoat.
B.   A business rival. Simply put, I got out manoeuvred. They’ll no doubt take over most of my empire whilst I’m away.
C.   A grudge. I’m still not quite sure what I did to piss them off, but with the number of strings they would’ve had to pull to cause this, it must’ve been something big.

This is a suggestion game, something I've never tried before. I want to develop my writing skills, so I figured having something more freeform would work for that. Anyway, this is intended as a spiritual successor of both Nuke9.13's Demonhood of old, and Mlamlah's Trader of Favors (not so old)

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: [SG] I am a Demon
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 03:10:48 pm »

Name: Steve
Appearance: Androgynous red haired person. (unless you can shift on the fly?)
Nemesis: Some grudgebearer.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 03:27:47 pm »

Name: Jorgen Juve. That's Norway national football team all-time top scorer, I bet YOU didn't know that (being that it was back in the 1930's and all ;))!

Appearence: something that looks both good and harmless... A good looking nerd, maybe?
Some salt-and-pepper for respectability, and a mandatory goatee - on second thoughts, let's have a goatee but keep it disguised as a full beard, we don't want to alarm anyone, right?

((That's actually Julian Assange. Good luck with those travel visas, airport security, and stuff...))

Nemesis: definitively the boss! But wait and see, he'll get his soon enough!
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 03:30:57 pm »

Name: Akkhetep
Appearance: A Skinny Starved looking Person with Pale skin and Red eyes. Out of the top of your head sprout two uselessly small Horns.
Nemesis: My superior
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 03:40:21 pm »

Name: Jorgen Juve. That's Norway national football team all-time top scorer, I bet YOU didn't know that (being that it was back in the 1930's and all ;))!

Appearence: something that looks both good and harmless... A good looking nerd, maybe?
Some salt-and-pepper for respectability, and a mandatory goatee - on second thoughts, let's have a goatee but keep it disguised as a full beard, we don't want to alarm anyone, right?

((That's actually Julian Assange. Good luck with those travel visas, airport security, and stuff...))

Nemesis: definitively the boss! But wait and see, he'll get his soon enough!

+1

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 03:39:03 am »

Quote from: votes
[3] Grudge: Dustan, roseheart, NRDL
[5] Boss: Maegil, crazyabe, lidku, hawk132, Ardent

Coming to, I see the not-so-pleasant face of the warlock who was just fiddling around in my brain. I can’t tell if he’'s actually cast anything on me, but then if I could, my executioner definitely would. I’ll just have to trust the shifty git. Apparently, he could tell I was awake, as he leaned in close to me:

“Aza’qr’s half of the deal is fulfilled. He does not expect to see you again, but he bid me wish you good luck.” Before I could formulate a response, the warlock snapped his briefcase shut and disappeared with a small pop. I look around, eyes dancing off of the myriad treasuries held here. Some were valuable in the simplest of ways, master-crafted trinkets, ancient tomes and gilded furnishings. Others were only valuable in a personal sense, carrying memories that still touched my heart.

Scant minutes later, there was a bang on the door. No prizes for guessing who. Almost as soon I opened the door, a pair of thick arms grabbed hold and dragged me out. Struggling to look back on my home for the last three centuries, I knew I would barely remember it. Instead, I cast my mind back through the last few days, recounting the hurried, horribly one-sided deals that guaranteed the slimmest of chances for me in the mortal realm.

I had a number of artefacts that could be delivered to me on the other side, along with various bits of knowledge that I could have had protected from harm. I can’t prevent them from stripping me of my demon form, but I could arrange to have aspects of it restored to me afterwards. Hopefully this will be enough. It had to be.

Favour: 50. I can spend this on the things I want to bring with me to the mortal realm. If its knowledge, I’ll have it immediately, but if it’s an item or an attribute, I’ll have to wait until my contact shows up. Hopefully they won’t waste too much time on that.

Spoiler: Possessions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Attributes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Knowledge (click to show/hide)

((Two things, does anyone know how to get shading on text? Second, I wasn't expecting a lean towards a modern setting, but I can go for that, if that's what you want))
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 04:00:55 am by Kashyyk »

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 04:56:06 am »

I wasn't expecting a lean towards a modern setting, but I can go for that, if that's what you want
The game hasn't even started yet and you're already getting hit by unexpected shenanigans from your players... Welcome to the wonderful world of GMing! :)

Hmmm... Modern versus fantasy...
While demons in fantasy are almost a staple, to come out of a medieval stasis culture into the modern world can provide a lot of cognitive dissonance moments. For instance, instead of having to hide from any pesky inquisitors and paladins, they'd be trying to keep a low profile from omnipresent CCTV and cell phones, biometric IDs and internet monitoring; instead being met with fear, greed or disgust when revealing themselves, they would be faced with disbelief, scoffed - and, just possibly, end up being shot in the face.
Yup, Modern, please!

As for my list:
3-Sword - just in case
6-Arcane Spell book - Xerox, meet magic book. A guaranteed best-seller!
8-Indentured Imp - A proper supernatural slave can be great for awing fools (mind those cameras, though)
3-Mortal Documents - can't do much, or remain free for long, without them...
1-Fine clothes - it's good not having the trouble to procure some, it's even better if we don't start our new life with charges of public indecency

6-Mind - the befuddler should not be befuddled
8-Senses - it's just sensible

15-Pact-binder - lawyers are considered demons anyway, so why can't a demon be a lawyer?

does anyone know how to get shading on text?
Experiment with the 5th and 6th button on the full editor's second row.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 05:56:51 am by Maegil »

Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 06:01:50 am »

The game hasn't even started yet and you're already getting hit by unexpected shenanigans from your players... Welcome to the wonderful world of GMing! :)
I foolishly assumed the forum would default to fantasy, but I'm quite looking forward to some of the options a modern setting offers, so I'm quite happy with the opportunity.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 06:37:31 am »

25 - Mind - Increasing our intelligence is something very difficult to do, so getting some amount is essential. Getting a high amount is useful because it increases our ability to learn and outsmart other intelligent opponents. Getting it to the maximum amount is ensuring everything goes all according to plan *flashes red demonic eyes*
5 - Shapeshifting - The possibilities are endless with this power
5 - Magical Talent - While I don't particularly relish playing yet another mage build, having some amount of magical knowledge in case we need it is necessary considering what we are. Our high Mind lets us learn magic easy in any case
15 - Pact-binder - Five centuries of experience at rules lawyering will buy us much in the mortal realm and more besides, especially considering our extreme intelligence
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 06:48:57 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 06:56:56 am »

25 - Mind - Increasing our intelligence is something very difficult to do, so getting some amount is essential. Getting a high amount is useful because it increases our ability to learn and outsmart other intelligent opponents. Getting it to the maximum amount is ensuring everything goes all according to plan *strokes goatee*
5 - Shapeshifting - The possibilities are endless with this power
5 - Magical Talent - While I don't particularly relish playing yet another mage build, having some amount of magical knowledge in case we need it is necessary considering what we are. Our high Mind lets us learn magic easy in any case
15 - Pact-binder - Five centuries of experience at rules lawyering will buy us much in the mortal realm and more besides, especially considering our extreme intelligence
I could go with this build too, but exchanging the shapeshifting for documents and clothes+ satchel.
Short of bodysnatching (and all associated risks such as friends and family noticing there's something wrong and going to the authorities; anyone with an actually useful identity would also be noteworthy, thus the risk would be even larger) EDIT: Kashyyk mooted this.
 it's nigh impossible to live in the modern world without papers, and the remaining points are only enough for the clothes and satchel.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 07:25:16 am by Maegil »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4