Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1458136 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition!
« Reply #3000 on: January 16, 2010, 12:41:38 pm »

Anima-like bandages
These things add a lot to the character and show that the thing should appear to be "scary". I think it comes from mummies and leprotic characters.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: January 16, 2010, 01:16:19 pm »

Vester you lost a awesome chance to yell 3000
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: January 16, 2010, 01:29:20 pm »

3003!

:D

OK. To strangemood: How I do it in photoshop (I don't think that it's the most efficient way, but at least it works):

1) You make a lineart, it means you basically put lines on top of the sketch and then remove the underlying sketch. If you want them clean, use vector lines. But I am lazy so I just draw them by hand:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2) Put basic colors. Put them on separate layers and use vector mask to define their edges. This way it's easier to put shadows and details on each material.

3) Color the lines to make the color transitions better.

4) Put shadows and textures on each layer.

5) Fix some things and details.

TA-DAM!

It's about 15 minutes total, thus it's fast. The quality here isn't good because I was hurrying, usually I spend a lot of time drawing pictures because I like skills to do it fast. But I hope you've got what I was going to deliver :). Practise and you will be great.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 01:34:49 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: January 16, 2010, 01:32:12 pm »

Deon is that you?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: January 16, 2010, 01:40:24 pm »

What? There was a great sketch by Bralbaard.

Strangemood colored it.

I've made this quick tutorial to teach the pal. I want more of us to draw here :).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 01:42:15 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: January 16, 2010, 02:29:13 pm »

No in your avatar.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: January 16, 2010, 02:50:29 pm »

I like that, Deon. The face and Beard have a lot of really nice details.

The brazier on his head makes me think of the way tongues were depicted in renaissance art.
Maybe that's why: because those who were touched by the divine actually had flames over their heads.

I never liked the way halos looked in christian iconography; I think having a little ball of flame above their heads conveys the same idea, while generally looking more badass than floating gold rings.

By comparison to some descriptions of angels, those are positively tame and comforting to look at.

I know, originally I was thinking of going with one of those designs (FLAMING THREE-HEADED OX WITH EYES ALL OVER ITS BODY... etc...) but then I thought that I didn't really need to copy the exact appearance from scriptures or whatever. I thought I'd take the idea of their appearance (i.e.majestic and brilliant but terrifying to behold) and apply that to the stereotypical view of angels as a winged humanoid.

The first one is so... fleshless. I like it.

actually the idea I was working with was that the angel has little understanding of way organic bodies work, beyond what is immediately visible. It does have skin, but it is more like grey leather stretched over a flimsy metallic skeleton than actual living tissue. also, the majority of the body is supposed to be hollow (no mucscles) and filled ichor, the golden blood of the gods (from greek mythology).

Anima-like bandages
These things add a lot to the character and show that the thing should appear to be "scary". I think it comes from mummies and leprotic characters.

ha ha, actually the bandages are there because I haven't decided whether or not it should have eyes yet! I don't know if I wanna make it like, for example, the angel of death in hellboy 2 (eyes everywhere except the face) or have something like eyes made of fire (which is closer to the biblical description)

also, I think the word your looking for is "leprous" not "leprotic".
oh and Vester, what do you mean by "anima-like?" that word has spiritual connotations, I think its latin for "soul" or something. Of course you could just be saying it looks like some anime character....
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 02:53:40 pm by Fault »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: January 16, 2010, 02:56:17 pm »

Spoiler: awesomepic (click to show/hide)
Damn! I missed it somehow. Your monsters are monstrous and it's really entertaining to see them.

Huesoo: Yeah, but it was about... 5 or 6 years ago, it's me on a tank in taiga beyond the polar circle :). Hungry for girls, ale and good bath hehe. And not married yet :P.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 02:59:03 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: January 16, 2010, 03:06:13 pm »

Thanks, Deon. I should think that one of the defining traits of a monster is that it would be... monstrous.

Also, where'd you find a tank in this day and age?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: January 16, 2010, 03:10:31 pm »

Well, he's in russia, so its maybe an abandoned tank from WWII.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: January 16, 2010, 03:11:45 pm »

what, are those just like, laying around all over the place?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: January 16, 2010, 03:16:28 pm »

what, are those just like, laying around all over the place?
Right. But not now, now they are almost all scavenged.

They are used in geology (my case) and other expeditions (but they have cannon dismantled) because they are very cost-efficient vehicles and can pass almost anywhere. Most WWII armours were dumped into marshes (because it was the fastest way to dispose of them) so resources were simply wasted, but some were scavenged and are still used by private drivers who work as "taxi drivers" in impassable regions of Russia. Our guy was a old fart who taught me how to drive a tank, so he was a cool guy :D.

You didn't see "roads" there. It took ~6 hours for a big-wheeled truck to cover 7 kilometers from our camp to the nearest military outpost, while the tank covered it in an hour.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 03:20:53 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: January 16, 2010, 03:22:50 pm »

And it's not just tanks. When we were kids we were collecting various ammo we found in a forest near our dacha (summer cottage), and we often found skulls and parts of soldiers' equipment. People there made makeshift graves for such things because nobody tried to look for their origins.

Also we've found a plane bomb once. Demolitions brigade took it with them though. And my friend's grandpa has a hand grenade in his garage we've found when we were 13.

The war covered big territories, and often noone cares to remove the mess after wars.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 03:24:37 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: January 16, 2010, 05:02:50 pm »

I never liked the way halos looked in christian iconography; I think having a little ball of flame above their heads conveys the same idea, while generally looking more badass than floating gold rings.
Icons do not have rings, their halos are more... aura-like. Like this:

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: January 16, 2010, 05:09:24 pm »

@Fault: Your pictures are awesome (as usual). They kinda remind me 2 horsmen - Death and War.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 561