Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1458128 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition!
« Reply #2970 on: January 14, 2010, 11:34:38 pm »

I forgot that trolls have six fingers. That is so awesome.

Not to burst your bubble, but DF trolls have 4 fingers according to the raws. Also no tails.

I really like the heads, the bottom right one especially reminds me of gollum in that The Hobbit cartoon.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 11:36:57 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: January 14, 2010, 11:56:21 pm »

Not to burst your bubble, but DF trolls have 4 fingers according to the raws.

I know that, although trolls having six fingers makes a bit more sense than elves having six fingers, being as trolls are monstrous and all that.

No offense Deon.

I really like the heads

thanks. I put some effort into having heads that are frightening in a variety of ways, while making them similar enough so they all kinda fit on the same body type.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: January 15, 2010, 12:06:07 am »

The way I see it, a more brutal creature would have 4 meaty fingers and a more delicate creature with finer motor skills might favor on the side of more fingers. Elves having five fingers being 'natural' assumes humans are an evolutionary baseline, which is a world like DF may or may not be the case.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: January 15, 2010, 12:19:41 am »

The idea that trolls are a "delicate" creature actually seems kind of frightening, as it implies they have a sort of manipulative intelligence. Why exactly would they need so many fingers? for tearing things apart more effectively?

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: January 15, 2010, 12:48:14 am »

That's it! the lure you in with the promise of a relaxing massage, but little do you know they are simply tenderizing you for easier consumption! The Horror!

im also of the more fingers = smarter/more delicate. less fingers = me smash mentality... until you reach only 1 finger or 2 (including a thumb except in cases of mitten hands) as being either ancient bad or sudo-natural which may or may not be intelligent.

Edit: actualy if the hand has more then 7 fingers it would probably also go with the ancient bad or sudo-natural bracket. eventually you get to a point of having more fingers then is necessary. falling under the big bad/sudo trait of having evolved in a way that is detrimental or wholly unnecessary meaning the writer has decided things are going to go poorly for the heroes.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 12:53:34 am by Bloogonis »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: January 15, 2010, 01:08:34 am »

For the record, it's "pseudo" not "sudo", but yeah.

Anyway, a troll offering a massage. I request sincerely that this be drawn. Failing that, a trollish massage parlor (surely if they can lure people to their deaths with massages, they can lure them into losing a few coins). Ideally involving horridly out of place pink aprons.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: January 15, 2010, 01:22:30 am »

you know one of the planned villians in Effigies is intended to be a manipulative and conniving Troll who tries to make himself out as non-threatening to lull characters into a false sense of security.

(the head labelled MOARG is a design for him)

I totally have to make him offer someone a massage now, or something. But not play it for comedy, make it like a really creepy gesture.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 01:28:53 am by Fault »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: January 15, 2010, 04:17:12 am »

I know that, although trolls having six fingers makes a bit more sense than elves having six fingers, being as trolls are monstrous and all that.

No offense Deon.
What? Trolls more monstrous than elves? Blasphemy! Elves are the most terrible monsters which have ever come to our mountainhome!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: January 15, 2010, 06:50:45 am »

To be honest, this was the first thing that I thought of when I heard "Troll massage".

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: January 15, 2010, 10:44:14 am »

Kinda beating a dead horse here, but whatever:

I'm really done with it now. Works well as a wallpaper, though.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #2980 on: January 15, 2010, 10:50:13 am »

I'm really done with it now. Works well as a wallpaper, though.
It really does. And is the exact resolution my monitor uses.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: January 15, 2010, 10:56:58 am »

ooh, they hae speed lines now.

Or shadows, whatever.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: January 15, 2010, 11:12:16 am »

He is speedily standing still on that rock there. Also, the eagle is speedily swooping up and away from the dwarf.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

StrangeMood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: January 15, 2010, 11:12:55 am »

I did some colouring of Bralbaard's Dungeon Master:

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: January 15, 2010, 12:41:08 pm »

Also, the eagle is speedily swooping up and away from the dwarf.
Sorry to say, but that's true.

The eagle should fly down on dwarf, and by the position of its wings it should come from the top left corner. It looks like it was kicked in the arse and is flying passively in this pic :).

Strangemood
It could be better. I mean, you should fix the lineart before you color it, and the critters have their parts blending with the background. Did you ask the permission to color it? Not that I care about it, but still :).
Also, the major problem for me is that you've lost the texture and details on his face.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 12:43:41 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 561