Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1458233 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition!
« Reply #2805 on: January 04, 2010, 08:46:14 pm »

It's not sculped around the breasts. The breasts are much smaller due to the popular demand.

Also, greeks and romans used "anatomical" armor for a very long time.

And stop spamming the thread, draw something pompous which is functional, please :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: January 04, 2010, 08:48:12 pm »

I would love to live in Practical-Land. It'd probably be great there.

Also, Deon, there's really nothing wrong with impractical armour from a market standpoint. A lot of really successful fantasy franchises (warcraft, final fantasy, Warhammer...) have ridiculously impractical armour. I think some of us artsy types are just trying a bit too hard to get someone else to "DRAW THE SAME WAY WE DO". We should appreciate diversity. Even if its impractical, it sure is real shiny.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: January 04, 2010, 08:49:35 pm »

I know. I just don't get why every my picture is followed by a parade of posts about how wrong it is >.<

P.S.
artsy types are just trying a bit too hard to get someone else to "DRAW THE SAME WAY WE DO"
Would it be cool if everyone drew the same way?

And I am ok with "artsy types", I just somehow dislike passer-by people who like to nitpick things :).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:52:47 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: January 04, 2010, 08:56:09 pm »

I AM CURRENTLY WORKING ON SOMETHING PRACTICAL-ARMOUR RELATED

but I'll post this, to stem the tide of art-less posts a bit.

It's from a /tg/ (traditional games imageboard on 4chan) drawthread. The request was related to "dwarves playing extreme majhong". whatever that is.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #2809 on: January 04, 2010, 09:00:33 pm »

I don't really care about whether people want to be realistic or not, but I got curious and found some examples of female armour that are actually used (they fight in it):

http://swordmaiden.com/armor/

It looks like the breast plate tends to sit a bit away from the skin, so the area over the breasts doesn't need to be raised much. Most of the examples have only one raised area containing both breasts (I assume because the center part of a separation would hit against the middle of the chest painfully in combat). One example has only a slight separation. The only example on that page with full separation of the breasts (and full sculpting) is the roman-based one, which it says is based on armor from a movie and not any real life design.

edit: I found one more on the page with separated breasts but she wrote there that it was for a fair and not fighting.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 09:07:05 pm by Spreggo »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: January 04, 2010, 09:05:23 pm »

The only reason i even posted about the armor functionality Deon is because you yourself said the design was supposed to be functional and then started defending the ovbious functionality flaws.

The site Spreggo digged up is a good place to start if you're interested in practical designs.

It looks like the breast plate tends to sit a bit away from the skin

It does; there's a thick layer of padding between the metal and your body. Plus, you know, women tend not to go into battle with their breasts flopping around loosely.

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: January 04, 2010, 09:28:40 pm »

How much HFS can be found in Ural?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: January 04, 2010, 10:12:30 pm »

The only reason i even posted about the armor functionality Deon is because you yourself said the design was supposed to be functional

Neruz, you should consider irony when starting to dig "realism".

I've made this "functional" design.
Do you see the speech marks? It was a joke about functionality. You should really read carefully before trying to show your point of view, making a discussion out of it.

How much HFS can be found in Ural?
I don't know, but if I get more topics on "realism" and stuff coming out of nowhere, I will go to my homecity and dig out some Giant Cave Spidermen. And I will send them after flamers >:E

Kinda sketchy, but I've made it in 15-20 min. Also it's related to the new lots of animal-men. I am really scared of giant cave spider men riding giant cave spiders.

P.S. Fault, awesome dwarf. Just your style :). What is the "herm" though? I know that there's a town called like this, but it's my only guess (well, not really, but I hope it's not another thing I thought about).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:25:53 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: January 04, 2010, 10:19:16 pm »

Too humanoid IMO.

It does look pretty freaky which takes away from the otherwise sexy breasts. I'm not saying the breasts are a bad thing, its a compliment.... seriously.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: January 04, 2010, 10:27:00 pm »

The only reason i even posted about the armor functionality Deon is because you yourself said the design was supposed to be functional

Neruz, you should consider irony when starting to dig "realism".

I've made this "functional" design.
Do you see the speech marks? It was a joke about functionality. You should really read carefully before trying to show your point of view, making a discussion out of it.

It's difficult for people to tell when you're being sarcastic.  Haven't you noticed the pattern yet?  In this particular example, the quotation marks weren't sufficient to indicate that "functional" was ironic, since you (like many others who speak English as a secondary language) use quotation marks to indicate all kinds of uncertainty -- you'd even done this in the previous sentence, with 'draw too "open" female armor.'  Irony is often hard to detect in text, even in a conversation between native speakers, so don't get fussy if people can't detect yours.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: January 04, 2010, 10:32:33 pm »

Heh, it was pretty easy for me to draw it since it's based on multiple sketches I've made for a model for a game (spiderkin)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah I am a dabbling 3d modeller :).

One of the replies to that model:
Dis mod needs moar pixelized boobies...
::)

And yeah, I'm not saying that the breasts are a bad thing either.

Footkerchief
OK, I think I am going to send some giant cave spidermen after you right now :).

Also, aren't quotation marks used to indicate not meaning? Like if I said: "You're "nice" because of your habit to discuss something I don't want now", it should mean "you're not nice", right?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:35:12 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: January 04, 2010, 10:38:58 pm »

oh Deon, another person in the drawthread was doing "dwarven Majhong" pics, and his had two overmuscled dwarves sitting around a majhong table. When they thought about what move to make next, it was accompanied by a loud "HERMMMMM......" speech bubble. I guess it's like going "hmm..." to think about something, except angrily.

Also that spiderman is a bizzare and Nightmarish creature (i assume that's what you were going for). I would reccomend changing the mouth though. too human-like, as chitinous arthropods don't really have lips.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: January 04, 2010, 10:42:20 pm »

The lips are intended, some kind of a pun. The mouth has 4 jaws, so that should be ok :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: January 04, 2010, 10:42:28 pm »

Also, aren't quotation marks used to indicate not meaning? Like if I said: "You're "nice" because of your habit to discuss something I don't want now", it should mean "you're not nice", right?

They can be used that way, yes.  However, it wasn't clear that you were using them that way, for reasons I just explained:

In this particular example, the quotation marks weren't sufficient to indicate that "functional" was ironic, since you (like many others who speak English as a secondary language) use quotation marks to indicate all kinds of uncertainty -- you'd even done this in the previous sentence, with 'draw too "open" female armor.'  Irony is often hard to detect in text, even in a conversation between native speakers ...

Also, for some on-topic-ness, the GCS-woman is pretty cool.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: January 04, 2010, 10:43:29 pm »

four jaws and one mouth?

how does that even- could you explain that a bit more?
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 561